TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D I am just getting over an accident with my winter t/bird and made a decision to go with all wheel drive for the great white north . I just purchased a 1998 Mercury Mountaineer . It has a 5.0 L engine and a super body and is a one owner and is just like new . In my first look over I see that it has had the front drive shaft and the c/v axles replaced and all fluids were changed and plugs and wires are new . As I have already bought the SUV it is kind of late to ask but does anyone have any experience with this vehicle . Just about everyone I talk to said to get the V/8 simply because the 4.0 sixes just work too hard and as such are hogs on gas . Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
the v6s arent not so much hogs as the later 4.0 ohv are slower than snot , the 4.0 sohc has decent power , but as they get older has timing chain issues, the only things you need to watch out for on a 5.0 , wel they have already been done. they are good for egr tubes as well

·
Registered
272 Posts
:D I am just getting over an accident with my winter t/bird and made a decision to go with all wheel drive for the great white north . I just purchased a 1998 Mercury Mountaineer . It has a 5.0 L engine and a super body and is a one owner and is just like new . In my first look over I see that it has had the front drive shaft and the c/v axles replaced and all fluids were changed and plugs and wires are new . As I have already bought the SUV it is kind of late to ask but does anyone have any experience with this vehicle . Just about everyone I talk to said to get the V/8 simply because the 4.0 sixes just work too hard and as such are hogs on gas . Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Jim
My parents have one no problems except the cv shaft and the header has a little tick to it nothing big nice rig to have in the winter i love that thing.;)

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Just pray you never have to do any major work to it. My mom has a 97 Explorer V8 AWD and it has been a big POS, and the cause of much cursing when working on it.

We had someone put an engine in it a year or two ago at 107K(I didn't have the time). I think it ran lean on one cylinder; it broke the piston above the rings and scored up the cylinder wall. It made a nice little ticking noise.

My brother, my friend and I put a used transmission in it two weeks ago(I think it was at 160K). It started slipping, and got progressively worse over the next few days until it lost all forward gears.

Fun, fun. I seriously think it was the engineers' goal to make as many bolts as they could next to impossible to get to. Ironically enough, when they were shopping for explorers, I told them to a get a V8 model because they were supposed to be more reliable, and had a better engine. Whoever made the gas mileage comment, my mom gets about 14 mpg, which is about what my brother got with his pushrod 4.0 Explorer. I'd rather have the power of the V8 in that case.

-Rob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.