SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX Missing 4.6 MIssing Trans Red
4,059 Posts

·
Registered
Mercury Cougar XR7
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
This is a stock 4.6L Teksid block other than a cleanup overbore of .020. There may be a bit of unshrouding of the valves but i wouldn't expect it to be much. As far as the big bores I have no particular knowledge on that.

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
21,978 Posts
Big bores probably have more of an effect on 2Vs if you think about it, the cylinder bore shrouding the valves aren’t inherently much of a factor with four of them, there’d mostly just be the gains in .4 the more liters of displacement.

Setup looks killer btw! That intake manifold has me real curious as well

·
Registered
Mercury Cougar XR7
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Big bores probably have more of an effect on 2Vs if you think about it, the cylinder bore shrouding the valves aren’t inherently much of a factor with four of them, there’d mostly just be the gains in .4 the more liters of displacement.

Setup looks killer btw! That intake manifold has me real curious as well
Thanks Matt!
Yeah, the 2 or 3 cubic inch increase isn't really going to amount to much unlike say a 5.3. The intake should work well with my set up and the future stage 3 upgrade in the future. Time will tell. Stage 1 and Stage 2 should be completed soon.

·
Administrator
14,683 Posts
Thanks Matt!
Yeah, the 2 or 3 cubic inch increase isn't really going to amount to much unlike say a 5.3. The intake should work well with my set up and the future stage 3 upgrade in the future. Time will tell. Stage 1 and Stage 2 should be completed soon.
Can you be more specific about your definitions of stages 1, 2 and 3 upgrades?

Reactions: mercenvy

·
Registered
Mercury Cougar XR7
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Can you be more specific about your definitions of stages 1, 2 and 3 upgrades?
Stage 1 is the engine build upgrade itself. Built aluminum Teksid block.

Stage 2 is the upgrade of the fuel system components to accommodate the new powerplant and use of E85.

Stage 3 is the upgrade of the rear and suspension components to support the power levels and RPM of the new powertrain.

There may be other upgrades later.

You may have forgotten. This car has NEVER had anything other than a stock 96 shortblock, Stock PI heads, stock Bullitt Intake, stock style exhaust manifolds, etc. All that is being changed. The other upgrades will be put in place to support it.

Attachments

·
Administrator
14,683 Posts

You may have forgotten. This car has NEVER had anything other than a stock 96 shortblock, Stock PI heads, stock Bullitt Intake, stock style exhaust manifolds, etc. All that is being changed. The other upgrades will be put in place to support it.

View attachment 47796 View attachment 47797
It's been ... what did you say? 11 Years? You're damn right I don't remember what it had.

Thanks Steve. That's awesome! You're in for a real treat once you get that dialed in! Welcome to the 21st Century!

Can't wait to hear it run and see some new numbers.

Reactions: Grog6

·
Registered
Mercury Cougar XR7
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
It's been ... what did you say? 11 Years? You're damn right I don't remember what it had.

Thanks Steve. That's awesome! You're in for a real treat once you get that dialed in! Welcome to the 21st Century!

Can't wait to hear it run and see some new numbers.

I fully expect the 12.90 ET on motor and 11.75 ZEX nitrous ET numbers to be erased almost immediately once I get it tuned and dialed in, but we will see. It'll get a little shot of nitrous down the road.
Should be fun though. Just driving the damn thing will take me back. Time will tell.

·
Registered
1997 thunderbird LX
311 Posts
Have you thought about switching to a 6r80?
Here are some numbers of the gears n the 6r and 10r, I can only imagine if you already have 4.10’s in the rear with one of these. The launches must be pretty cool of gear change alone!

·
Registered
Mercury Cougar XR7
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Have you thought about switching to a 6r80?
Here are some numbers of the gears n the 6r and 10r, I can only imagine if you already have 4.10’s in the rear with one of these. The launches must be pretty cool of gear change alone!

View attachment 47807
No, haven't really considered that and will stay with the ol JModded 4R70 W. It works well with the current 4.30's I've had in the car.

·
Administrator
14,683 Posts
Is that an electric water pump too?

Do you mind sharing the brand of the pump and the dampener you are using?

Want to use them on my Teksid when I build it. Only mine is gonna be a 2v and be force fed.
That's a Meziere electric pump. I have the same one. Not sure about the price on this one but this is the model. I can't remember where I bought mine. It's been a while.

$500 at Jegs

$500 at Summit

$550 from these Assholes.

·
Registered
Mercury Cougar XR7
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Is that an electric water pump too?

Do you mind sharing the brand of the pump and the dampener you are using?

Want to use them on my Teksid when I build it. Only mine is gonna be a 2v and be force fed.
Its a Meziere electric pump. The dampner is SFI rated but its been so long ago not sure of the brand!

·
Administrator
14,683 Posts
You did move the install to St. Patty’s Day! Awesome!

·
Registered
Mercury Cougar XR7
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Well I ran into a couple of part issues with the fuel system, throttle cable needs changed and a couple wiring issues. Some are resolved and others are pending receiving parts so its mostly finished but not yet. Maybe we can fire it this coming weekend depending on the parts ordered and availability. But we are getting there. Couple snapshot of the progress. Thanks again to Justin, John, Jim and brother in law Billy for a helping hand for this old Man. I sincerely do appreciate the help.

·
Super Moderator
13,156 Posts
WEC, there's a hole or holes you have to drill to use 2v heads on a teksid; I remember seeing a pic of it here forever ago.
Has to do with water going into the heads.

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
21,978 Posts
WEC, there's a hole or holes you have to drill to use 2v heads on a teksid; I remember seeing a pic of it here forever ago.
Has to do with water going into the heads.
It's the thermostat bypass, its there mostly to keep coolant circulating while the thermostat is closed but also warm up the engine faster, 4Vs have the bypass on the outside with the hose that runs from the crossover to the thermostat housing

·
Administrator
14,683 Posts
It's the thermostat bypass, its there mostly to keep coolant circulating while the thermostat is closed but also warm up the engine faster, 4Vs have the bypass on the outside with the hose that runs from the crossover to the thermostat housing
Isn’t that what we affectionately call the crack pipe mod? Because the adapter is shaped like a crack pipe? 😆

21 - 40 of 84 Posts