TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 98 Mark, it's my first 2and gen Mark, before this I had a 94 and a 93. I noticed the 2 first gens had much more power than my 2nd gen. Granted they both had 93 ECMs but they also had 170k miles on them and the 98 I have only has 55k. I've been reading how poor the intake flows and I was wondering if anyone has successfully swapped the Gen 1 on it. I still have 2 complete setups, I know eventually I'll have IMRC issues and the box is expensive if you can find it, and the first gen has the progressive throttle body which in theory gives you more torque along with a nicer runner design. I thought about the cobra manifold but you have to engineer the EGR tube and you lose the cruise control.

·
Super Moderator
7,530 Posts
It could be done, as long as you have all the parts, including the intake tube, airbox, throttle cable, fuel lines, etc.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually have a complete motor to pick off of besides all the other parts in the attic, the big question is will the computer tolerate It?

·
Super Moderator
10,670 Posts
The imrc's on the 98 are electrical, unlike the earlier ones.

That's a lot of effort for ~15hp.

Adding a set of Cobra cams, a good exhaust, and tune would be easier, and better.

·
Super Moderator
7,530 Posts
Without a tune, the idle may be a little erratic, but otherwise it should be fine.

·
Super Moderator
10,670 Posts
Off topic question, but where can I find spark plug wire covers for a gen1 mark intake?

I'm going to use coil packs and wires, at least at first, and the covers I have are pretty trashed.

Am I 20 years too late to find any? :)

·
Super Moderator
17,052 Posts
When in doubt, always remember Mustang aftermarket

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I have no problems with the cam swap and exhaust they're on the list anyway. But if you can't get enough air in to the motor you're kind of just pissing in the wind.

Should I just do the Cobra manifold swap? How do I do it right? I want to keep the EGR and Cruise control. Also I'd like the IMRC's to still function. We still have emissions on 96 and newer cars in NJ so EGR is a factor. Plus I remember from tech school I it helps gas mileage and torque. We went through it in class because we were all disconnecting our EGR valves and playing on the dyno. The main goal with the car right now is to get as much power as I can without getting too deep into the motor, and I dont want to kill my bottom end torque and gas mileage. The reason I fell in love with Mark Viii's in the first place was they had that low end torque like the old muscle cars had. I felt like I was driving a refined version of my big block Trans Am.

I was going to save up for the terminator super charger swap but that's a few years down the road. I'm getting married and its eating up every penny I've got.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts