1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
like what?

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
It's possible of course. You would have to fabricate your own brackets to use in place of the seat rails, if you tried to bolt the seat rails to the floor back there you'd end up with the head rests touching the roof if not through it. As it is, they will still be pretty tall, maybe yank the headrests off before doing it. And then there's the covering the gap into the trunk and the middle of the floor.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Biggest issue I see is that the fuel tank is under the rear bench so anchoring buckets back there will not be easy without puncturing the tank

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
If that is a problem it would probably be an idea to TAKE OUT THE TANK. That will ensure that you don't puncture it. Then just make sure you keep any mounting hardware trimmed and you should be ok.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Midnight said:
If that is a problem it would probably be an idea to TAKE OUT THE TANK. That will ensure that you don't puncture it.
I kinda thought that would be a given working anywhere near it, good to know I'm not the only one who thinks that. ;)

·
Registered
789 Posts
JB weld the mounts to the floor. I'd chop everything below the seat cushion though to lower the seat and fab a new mount.

On second though, I'd troll a junk yard for some camaro back seats. Might be easier and look better.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dunno I kind of thought about it and decided against it

Hell I have the black fold down for the back and I never put it in either !

I just take the back seat out when I want to use the car as a pickup truck - lol

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
pnyklr said:
Hell I have the black fold down for the back and I never put it in either !
:zwthstpd:

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
JB welding the brackets OMG ROFL.....that'd be a death sentence to anyone back there in a crash...It could be done pretty easily, ditch the headrests, recover the seats, have someone fab up brackets to BOLT them directly in, and recover whats left of the seat bottom with carpet. I think it would be very cool and unique. You'd also have to fab up something for the opening that was left between the seats and the trunk, maybe some kind of hinged door that would allow you to use that as a pass through for oblong objects?

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
You leave your oblong objects out of discussions of the back seats of cars mister!

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
I tried this when I had my interior out. The seats would fit with the headrests, but the rear window would be completely blocked, and only short people could sit in the seats.

You'd need to fab a bracket for mounting the back to the bottom and get rid of the stock tracks. That would save enough room to make it feasible. I'd still keep the headrests off though. Add a firewall, and some carpet, good to go.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I thought somebody here already had buckets in the back? Anybody remember where the pictures are? Seems like I remember they were grey and black??

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
ShadowDragon said:
I kinda thought that would be a given working anywhere near it, good to know I'm not the only one who thinks that. ;)
You guys need to think beyond the obvious. Take a close look at how thin the metal is above the tank and ask yourself how much room is available in between the tank and the floor pan to add the necesary strenthening to properly mount the seats to. If you just throw a bolt through there with a fender washer you are going to have seats that pull out in an accident.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Why would the seats need any more reinforcement than the existing ones? Bolt on bottom and one near top. The seatbelt is to keep the person in the seat.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts