TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats needed for that coversion.i can get a 5.0 liter pretty cheap and i would buy an tranny but what do i need.i have a 88 turbo coupe 2.3turbo auto 133k miles

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i had a 89 mustang gt and i am familiar with that engine.i think itll be cheaper in the long run.look at a exhaust for a 2.3 to a 5.0.im looking at my options right now i just bought it

·
Registered
125 Posts
I gotta agree with SanD, keep the Turbo'ed 2.3. Easier to work on than a 5L. Plus, engine work is cheaper. Rings, pistons etc... four holes not 8. The old EEC IV is simple to repair and very reliable (sans VAF). One big exhaust is easier to run than 2. 2.5 L cranks fit with a little clearance. Why put a heavy a$$ 5pointSLOW in when stock for stock the turbo car would eat its' lunch through the lights or in the turns? Plus turbo cars just sound cool... my friend has a 2.3l turbo pinto WAGON. Runs like a bat outta he!!, gets great mileage and with straight exhaust sounds wicked too.

If you must have a 5.0, you would need engine mounts, engine, wiring harness, EEC, trans, driveshaft, re-plumb fuel lines, throttle linkage, ALL NEW exhaust. and possibly the sub frame? In other words, a complete running donor car.

It is your car, but it seems like a bad idea to kill a Turbo Coupe.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
If you wanted a 5.0 bird, why didn't you just buy one with the 5.0 already in it, and just add on TC body parts?

·
Registered
11 Posts
The TC has that computer controled suspension in it like similar to whats in the SC's which make them a popular candidate for V8 swaps, but I'd keep the 2.3L. Better fuel mileage, and theres a ton of parts out there for them. I used to have a catalog that had a whole bunch of stuff in it for 2.3 Fords. It escapes me for now but if I remember I'll be sure and tell you.

·
Registered
348 Posts
racer walsh is over priced, they are right up the street from me, and i refuse to shop there ... check out my car domain site, has pics there ... as far as issues, the tranny ****s great, motor runs strong ... susp is a lil loose, but thats to be expected this old of a car

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I used to have an 85 TC with a V8 5 speed and SVO suspension (3.73 T/L)!!!!

I LOVED IT!!! (Except it looked like crap)!!! :D

One of the best examples of what a TC will do was years ago I was a GatorNationals somewhere down south (in FL I think). Anyway, two 80's era T'birds lined up. Both were from the same shop. One had a 351W and the other had a 2.3L Turbo. The TC SPANKED the 351W. (I would have liked to be in that shop Monday morning…) :beek:

I’ll agree with everyone else. Build the TC. It is cheaper in the long run and you can get some serious power out of the TC. But you NEED to convert it over to a 5 speed. Which I also did with mine since it came originally with an automatic... ICK!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
172 Posts
I say put a 5.0 in it, but then I'm a little biased. If you want a strong running automatic its the best choice..

Future classic?? Maybe, but not till about 85-90% have been junked...

·
Registered
333 Posts
Well I guess I'm in da dog house with you all then. I got rid of my 237k T/C 2.3l and am putting in a DOHC 4.6. But I am keeping it with a 5spd :D

·
Registered
443 Posts
I have an 87 turbo coupe. I absolutly love that car. But I put it in a ditch and twisted the body on it. Eversince small little things have come up untill eventually the turbo is going out. I wanna keep it but theres too much rust to save the body. It was bitter sweet when I bought my 95. There will always be a place for 2.3 with me.

Dont convert it, the value of these cars is starting to go up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I want a TC, someone sell me one cheap!!!!!

I can tell the wife its just a 4cyl, and will ahvce good mileage!

A side note, I always wanted a 87/88 TC in high school, and a buddy of mine got a mint marron 88 TC just to piss me off!

He and his dad tweaked on it a bit, not sure what, seems like he said something about a bigger turbo, and 12 pounds of boost??? Either way that thing smoked a guy we went o to school with in a 400 TransAM. There was no denying it either, the guy had talked so much trash to build it up, and lost by a few cars down at Jackson Dragway in South Carolina.

It was great, cept it wasn't MY TC!!!

·
Registered
443 Posts
12 pounds is really a small ammount of boost for these cars. They run factory 15 on premium gas or 18 like mine is on the stock turbo. One of the guys at NATO is running 28 on the stock bottom end with some xylene at the strip. His car is perfectly streetable too.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'D say leave in the 2300 putting a 5.0 in it is a poor choice i have a turbo coupe and a 5.0 bird and i love the little 2300 much more fun a whole lot faster and handles/drives better if you were closer id take you for a ride and show you how these run when modded!

Plus on the expense thing the 2300 is cheaper to mod all around!
and on the boost thing mine runs 25 psi on 93 octane

1 - 20 of 32 Posts