TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was thinking of adding another battery to my bird because of the draw my amps put on the battery i have now, where can i get an optima yellow top and how should i wire it? i did a search and found that welding cable is better to use in this situation but i have no idea what it is and where to get it...

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Air Force said:
i was thinking of adding another battery to my bird because of the draw my amps put on the battery i have now, where can i get an optima yellow top and how should i wire it? i did a search and found that welding cable is better to use in this situation but i have no idea what it is and where to get it...
This probably belongs in the Audio forum.

2nd batter is usually located in the trunk. Couple of ways to wire it.

What are you running that you have such a draw? Some days I can't figure out how you guys are "maxing" out your systems all the time.

Let me know what your system is, how it's wired, and I can recommend something from there.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well here's the thing..i have a rockford 501x and a rockford 851s and i have 4 gauge wire running from my battery to a distribution block in the trunk. the 501x is connected to the distro block using 8 gauge wire, but the block doesnt have 4 gauge outputs, so i had to shave down the 4 gauge wire from the 851s to make it fit. so the sub amp is bottlenecked, so i need a way to get more power to the amp..

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Air Force said:
well here's the thing..i have a rockford 501x and a rockford 851s and i have 4 gauge wire running from my battery to a distribution block in the trunk. the 501x is connected to the distro block using 8 gauge wire, but the block doesnt have 4 gauge outputs, so i had to shave down the 4 gauge wire from the 851s to make it fit. so the sub amp is bottlenecked, so i need a way to get more power to the amp..
I highly doubt you need higher than 8 ga from the distro to the amp. And I HIGHLY doubt the 851 is being "bottle-necked" 8 ga can flow alot more amps than people think it can. Should you run it from the battery to the trunk? Hell no, but from a distro, 4 ga main with 8 ga to the amps is more than enough enough for at least up to 700 or 800 watts RMS.

If your amp is straining, a cap would help out alot.

I have the original Motorcraft battery from 97, and I run a 1 farad cap, never had a problem EVER. And I'm not running weak amps.

Keep in mind that it is pretty hard to use all of an amps potential.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the speaker amp is 64x4 rms and the sub amp is about 450x2 rms, is that enough for my battery to run? the subs dont sound like theyre running 450 each, what can i do to make sure theyre using all the amp is putting out?

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Air Force said:
the speaker amp is 64x4 rms and the sub amp is about 450x2 rms, is that enough for my battery to run? the subs dont sound like theyre running 450 each, what can i do to make sure theyre using all the amp is putting out?
450x2 rms? you sure on that one. That is one beefy amp. I don't recognize that amp, and I've been out of the biz long enough that it doesn' surprise me. Did you get a birthsheet for that amp? How are you running it? What are you running for subs? How are they wired? What type of box?

My Alpine MRV-T420 is bridged at 2 ohms, capable of pushing over 700 watts RMS But i can't get anywhere near even using that power because the speakers simply cannot handle it.

My 4-channel is about 100x4 rms and then my sub amp draws alot, and I have absolutely no problems and I have U/D pulleys as well.

Off to bed, but i'll answer in the morning.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yup, the amp is rated at 425x2 rms at 2 ohms, but the birthsheet for the amp is higher than that, its 915rms for 2 channels at 2 ohms..im runnning it bridged, the dual voice coils on the subs are in series, the box is a custom one i made for the subs, about 1 cubic foot for each sub, 3/4 inch mdf with a seperate chamber for each sub. the subs are in my sig, they are 350 rms but can take 1400 peak. when the bass hits, my headlights dim so i know theyre putting a strain on my electrical system.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Air Force said:
dual 4 ohm
dual 4 ohm + series = 8 ohms.

Which means you are running roughly 105-110 watts RMS per sub, which is nothing for power. You are not even coming close to straining your amp. But you said you were running it bridged. So you are bridged at 8 ohms. So whatever your amp is rated for at 4 ohms, roughly cut that in half and you have the power you are capable of pushing to the subs in your current setup.

Regardless you aren't running enough to strain the system from my estimates, unless you are driving around with it completely cranked all the time. In which case your gonna be deaf soon. :D

Plus what is a Rockford 851? that doesn't fit their product number scheme.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i just took a guess when i said series, im not sure, my friend did it for me, but im sure that the subs are getting more than 100 watts, i already said that my headlights dim when the bass hits, so i know its pushing my electrical system. can i find out how many watts its putting to the subs?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Ok.. you guys are talikng about watts like it determines draw.. if you look at the biggest amplifier.. there is only a 30 to 45 AMP fuse.. amps will draw the power.. not watts.. I'm not going into specifics, but your stock alternator puts out about 120 amps.. not to mention that your stock battery can take a load of 850 amps (rated as cca, or Cold Cranking Amps)

In any case.. I suggest a 1 farrad cap.. it will prevent your electrical system from pulsing and you don't run the risk of pushing too many amps through your electrical system (as can happen with two batteries.. )

·
Registered
313 Posts
so even still.. a 50 amp fuse with a 25% saftey factor still only equals about a 40 amp draw.. and your whole system isn't blowing the 60 amp fuse which is only half of your alternator output.. not to mention your battery..

just my opinion.. but I think you're waisting your money with a second battery when a cap will do very well.. not to mention the extra weight of another battery..

once again.. just my opinion.. so take it for what it's worth..

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Thumper91 said:

just my opinion.. but I think you're waisting your money with a second battery when a cap will do very well.. not to mention the extra weight of another battery..

I agree completley. I run a 1 farad cap and have never had a problem. Even with my U/D pulleys.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Air Force said:
thanks guys, whats a good brand for a cap or does it really matter?
Sadly, most of them are all the same, and just rebranded. So it doesn't matter that much.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts