TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i currently have a 2 channal amp powering my subs. i am going to be upgrading it to a better mono channel amp and i was wondering if it would be a good idea to use the amp to power my speakers, the amp will only be putting out 33 watts to each speaker because i will wire it in series to make 8 ohms, but power isnt the reason i want to do this i just want to be able to use the high pass filter to let my subs take care of the bass. Would anyone reccomend/dissuade me from doing this?

·
Registered
2014 Escape SE 2.0 AWD
7,557 Posts
First off, welcome! Hope you enjoy the site. There's a lot of good information on here.

It'd be just better to do a different amp. Personally, I'd put some good speakers in the front powered by the amp, which is probably your best option.

Which speakers/deck are you using? Give us some more info on your ride and setup.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok well its a 1994 thunderbird lx 4.6 liter all stock, i have an alpine cda-9856 and i have replaced all 4 speakers with pioneer TS-A6881R (3 way 50 watts rms). buying a 4 channel amp isnt realy an option for me right now i am only 16 and dont have alot of income, would it be better to just buy bass blockers for my speakers (since the main reason i wanted to hook this amp up was to use the hpf)? if so you could you give me a link to some that would fit my application well

·
Registered
2014 Escape SE 2.0 AWD
7,557 Posts
Bass blockers are just regular old capacitors, which you can buy 4 for less than 1 bass blocker costs. Can't remember what mine were when I took them apart. But they should be easy to pick up at an electronics store. They were just capacitors with a wire soldered on each end and heat shrink on them.

I'd hook the amp up to two of your speakers just to get better sound if nothing else It's larger than your stereo, right? Don't you think you'd get better sound out of it than the amp? And what brand/model amp is it, anyway?

·
Registered
958 Posts
ok well its a 1994 thunderbird lx 4.6 liter all stock, i have an alpine cda-9856 and i have replaced all 4 speakers with pioneer TS-A6881R (3 way 50 watts rms). buying a 4 channel amp isnt realy an option for me right now i am only 16 and dont have alot of income, would it be better to just buy bass blockers for my speakers (since the main reason i wanted to hook this amp up was to use the hpf)? if so you could you give me a link to some that would fit my application well
welcome to tccoa...... i've got the same hu and it is very nice.........but i've got 3 type s alpine 12's and 3 visonik 1000 watt mono amps in my trunk.......all that bass drowns out my mids and highs.......i previously had 3 pyramid 1600 watt 2 ch amps, but since my alpines are running at 2ohm....i couldn't use these amps. anyways i went ahead and put one of these amps on my alpine type s (old school blue ones) 5x7's in back panels. just hooked them up left to left ch, right to right ch. hpf tuned so there is still some bass passing through but alot louder hi and mid wise than w/ the hu pushing them. it sounds really good now. i will be using my last "cheap a$$ amp" to power my front speakers when i get enough wire to run to the trunk......i know i said i had 3........i traded one of them for a 400 watt mono alpine amp......well i know it was long and rambling but i hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I am currently running this set up of 4 speakers on a 2ch amp. I have a set of components and a set of 6x9's running off a rockford p3002 amp. I have it set up left channel and right channel only so I lose the front to rear fade but it sounds great IMO. A few people on here have heard it first hand and said it sounds really nice. I say go a head and do it, just make sure you stay at a stable ohm the amp is rated for or it will not last long. Also run the wires as far from the amp power cable as possible as to limit noise interference. Good luck, Jon.

·
Registered
958 Posts
my 1600 watt amp cost around 90-100 shipped..........obviously don't really need that big of an amp for your reg. speakers.......look for a smaller amp from some no-namers like pyramid, lanzar, pyle, legacy, etc. here's a link to where i got my cheap amps.
http://www.allaudioexpo.com/

·
Registered
2014 Escape SE 2.0 AWD
7,557 Posts
As far as Pyramid, Legacy and Pyle, I would only put them in a boat. Quality is poor, don't expect them to last long or sound great.

One of my friends had some Pyramid Super Blue subs and a Pyle amp. He said it sounded like poop, and I said, "They call it Pyle, because it's a pile..." He agreed.

I bought a used 10" Kicker Solobaric L7 for $95 shipped, and an Orion 2400D (incase I upgrade, which is likely. I could've gone with an amp around 800rms for this sub) which runs 2400wt rms at 1ohm, and cost me $250 shipped. It sounds great for a 10", and was pounding pretty good on my home amp running 250wt rms at 8ohms.

But if you want good sound, go with good quality. You won't regret it.

Actually, I've seen some of the Lanzar subs, and I wouldn't mind getting one or two to screw around with. I checked out some videos on www.RealmofExcursion.com and the Lanzar actually impressed me. The Pyramids and stuff were mainly hooking them up to 120V and watching them fry. Yes, they ran them into an a wall outlet. It's pretty cool.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I'm happy to see that u didn't completely flame me for my advice 88pimpin. Yes, these are junk and won't last........if you abuse them or run a lower ohm rating than the amps can handle. i ran subs on these for probably about 8 months at the correct ohm rating and never had a problem,(with the amps). as any coaxial speaker i've ever seen is not 2ohm this should not be a problem. i would never run these amps on subs again.......but they sound nice on my speakers....just my opinion. and i'm registered at ROE as....................mybird_91

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok well the amp is a jenson jxp720 (135x2)....taking some of your advice i think i am going to hook it up to just my front 2 speakers. i have never heard amped vs nonamped speakers...does it make a very big difference? also i would like to know if this http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-07-KENWOOD-...096948775QQcategoryZ39734QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem is a good amp (i dont know much about kenwood) and also weather or not i should trust that seller

·
Registered
2014 Escape SE 2.0 AWD
7,557 Posts
Looks like a decent deal, but I'm not big on Kenwood. But would be a decent amp for the money. Looks like a decent seller, for that many feedback.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I have that amp or the last years model but its the same wattage, I have been pounding my single 12 fubar power acoustik sub at 900 for well over year now with no problems. I don't even put the bass settings on my radio at 1/2 and it sounds great. That price is a great price I think I paid 375 for mine with the 4 yr protection plan from best buy, yeah I know they are over priced but I had tons of gift certificates, and I did the install dont worry lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.