TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a strange question for you:

While changing out a tailshaft bushing in a 1997 TBird 4.6, we bought the same kit that everyone else uses, and the one that fits my car, the 5202 bushing. Upon cutting the old bushing out, and getting ready to press the new one in, I noticed that the bushing was not the right OD, it just fell straight through the housing. The seal wasn't even close to being the same. The tailshaft bushing wouldn't even fit over the driveshaft yolk. After calling around a lot, found that they list 2 different transmissions for the '97 TBird. The 4R70W, and the A4OD. The A4OD listed we were able to get a seal for right then, but noone had the bushing. This was really bugging me, so I went to a transmission shop in town, and took the tailshaft. They had 20 or so 4R70W bushings on the shelf, and they were all the same size as the one that just fell through the tailshaft. I left the tailshaft with them, and they were able to order the right one under the listing for the A4OD.

My question is: has anyone used the standard bushing/seal kit readily available (the 5202), because this has direct consequences on ordering a driveshaft, etc., since it seems the standard yolk that's listed is quite a bit smaller in diameter than the one in this car. I know for a fact that the transmission is the same one that came in the car from the factory, it's a 1 owner car.

Anyone seen anything like this before?

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Rich95XR7 said:
I've got a strange question for you:

While changing out a tailshaft bushing in a 1997 TBird 4.6, we bought the same kit that everyone else uses, and the one that fits my car, the 5202 bushing. Upon cutting the old bushing out, and getting ready to press the new one in, I noticed that the bushing was not the right OD, it just fell straight through the housing. The seal wasn't even close to being the same. The tailshaft bushing wouldn't even fit over the driveshaft yolk. After calling around a lot, found that they list 2 different transmissions for the '97 TBird. The 4R70W, and the A4OD. The A4OD listed we were able to get a seal for right then, but noone had the bushing. This was really bugging me, so I went to a transmission shop in town, and took the tailshaft. They had 20 or so 4R70W bushings on the shelf, and they were all the same size as the one that just fell through the tailshaft. I left the tailshaft with them, and they were able to order the right one under the listing for the A4OD.

My question is: has anyone used the standard bushing/seal kit readily available (the 5202), because this has direct consequences on ordering a driveshaft, etc., since it seems the standard yolk that's listed is quite a bit smaller in diameter than the one in this car. I know for a fact that the transmission is the same one that came in the car from the factory, it's a 1 owner car.

Anyone seen anything like this before?

are all 4R tailshaft bushings for all years the same?

assuming that maybe a late year built 97 might have the same trans as an early year 98 mark?.........even though the TCs are different....just a hypothesis....

joseph

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I've figured it out thanks to dirtydog. The bushings for the AOD-E are smaller than the 4R70W, so that's the one that we were getting, and the A4OD was an early Ford term for the 4R70W.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Also the Mustang uses a different size than the MN12s

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
Lonnie said:
Also the Mustang uses a different size than the MN12s
Not if it's a 4R70W. All of the 4R70W bushings are identical in size.
JL

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I stand corrected, I was think about the AODE Mustang and forgot that it was an AODE.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
So anytime we go to ask for parts locally, we need to say that the tranny is an A4OD?

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
Grasshopper said:
So anytime we go to ask for parts locally, we need to say that the tranny is an A4OD?
No-you go to a real trans parts place,and tell them what it is.
JL

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Got it.
Now I gotta find me a real transmission place in town.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
There is probably a local transtar or such. You can just order the stuff from bulkpart. Autozone and such don't sell this stuff.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
My guess is that A4OD=AOD. Theyre confusing the AOD/AODE with the 4R70W. Remember that 90% of shops cant tell an AODE from a 4R70W even though the AODE hasnt been made in 10 years. We continue to be overwhlemed with their brilliance, lol.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
a40d is a generic term for 4spd overdrive transmission. I have seen the term used on several transmissions. It is not a valid identification, just some autozone crap.

I once bought a filter kit from autozone that they labelled as a4od it had the early flat filter so I would assume it is meant for the aod/e as well. Either way I hate autozone. If I am forced to buy from them I go in there spin the computer around and tell them to go get whatever part number I tell them.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Yeah, Rich and I found out the hard way on that one...

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Yeah I'm used to lying about what car I have so I dont have to play 1000 questions every time I walk in. I dont want to have to explain to the 16 yr old at the counter that I'm using a different pan from stock, and that I dont want the stock filter. "but the computer says thats not the one for your car!" Tell me something new, Sherlock.
These are the same people that swear I cant use PI cams or intake either. "Why not just buy the heads and be done with it?" Maybe because the extra $ I'm spending wouldnt gain me that much? grr... lol.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I remember about ten years ago a '93 or '94 model aod van that blew the planetaries. It had the large output yoke and a wide ratio planetary from the factory. Only place to buy the gears back then was the Ford dealer and they reamed me. The parts guy couldn't find the same gears until a '95 model 4r70w and I was afraid of swapping back to the early ones. That van hauled butt for a 302 roller with 3.55 gears! Just food for thought....what the heck did they call that aod? an aod-w?

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, you'd think since they had a bushing kit for the '97 TBird, which was only offered with one transmission, it would be the right one?????? No problem, went to a transmission shop, and they ordered the right part, no harm, no foul, just 3 days of downtime.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts