TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Worked on the J-Mod yesterday and hope to finish tonight. Actually insalling an already modified valve body.

Couple questions:

There is a plastic piece (cable tie) holding the cables in place that connected to the VB. I broke the part that goes into the VB. Will there be an issue with the wires hanging freely?

Step 15 of the article mentions a filter near the rear of the VB.
"There is also a little black cone-shaped filter that goes into the transmission case near the rear of the transmission (towards the driveshaft). Be sure that it hasn't fallen out as well. DO NOT LEAVE IT OUT."
I had a very small black plastic piece starting to fall out but it didn't look like a filter. Does anyone have a picture of this?

Joe

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
I can post a picture of one when I get home work as I have one apart now. . . . .Here is a Paint image of what it should look like. The white "triangle" area is a white screen filter:

http://www.guardcows.com/4R70W_Cone.GIF . It will take some time to load the image as my server connection is slower than I would like. I will leave the link active for your future viewing! :D

Hope this helps!

Kenneth

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the picture. Is it really small, black plastic about 1" in length ?

Joe

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
holy save it as a GIF so it is 2k instead of 700k bitmap!

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
yeah, 1" +/- 0.25". I just remember it isn't much longer than my thumb nail. . . .I really know that this reference doesn't help you! LOL

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Bangster said:
holy save it as a GIF so it is 2k instead of 700k bitmap!
Done! :)

Post edited to reflect change. . . .

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I didn't mean to sound rude, you took the time to do it and it will likely help out, but it loads a thousand times faster as a GIF.

I don't remember seeing that when I j-modded my tranny, but I must not have knocked it out or dealt with it. I also don't remember the wiring, I know mine seemed like it was going to be brittle the next time I did anything there, I like the printed flex ribbon cable in my 00 Grand Marquis.

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
I didn't think you were being rude. . . .no offense taken. I should have noticed that when I was uploading it to the server and even saving it from Paint, but my mind is in several places today. Thanks for helping me fix that little lack of consciousnous. :D

This filter is located in the worm tracks near the backside (output shaft) of the transmission. Near the center (taken Right to Left) of the transmission there are two little openings. This filter sits in the one on the side where the 1-2 accumulator is located. This hole goes all the way through to the extension housing and I have had to take it out sometimes by using a long Q-tip to push it out from the extension housing side before cleaning of the case.

Hope this helps locating it. . . .

Kenneth

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wether said:
This filter is located in the worm tracks near the backside (output shaft) of the transmission. Near the center (taken Right to Left) of the transmission there are two little openings. This filter sits in the one on the side where the 1-2 accumulator is located. This hole goes all the way through to the extension housing and I have had to take it out sometimes by using a long Q-tip to push it out from the extension housing side before cleaning of the case.

Hope this helps locating it. . . .

Kenneth
Do you mean the 2-3 accumulator? The 1-2 is at the front the 2-3 is at the back closer to the drive shaft.

Joe

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Left to right it is on the side with the 1-2 accumulator. . . .front to back it is in the back of the tranny. . . . .I will go take a picture right now. Give me a few minutes to upload.

·
Premium Member
585 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cool wether, thanks for the pictures. Yeah thats the piece I saw. Anyone know what this does exactly? Really small for a filter.

Decided to take the night off and finish it up tomorrow.

Joe

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Since the bore goes down to lubricate the output shaft journal, I would guess that it is there to catch any metal pieces that may come off of the bearing/bushing at the other end. These could cause problems with the fluid flow to/from the valvle body if contaminated. . . . .just my take on the question.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Makes since.

Joe

1 - 14 of 14 Posts