TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car Stalling after lengthened stop
My 95 4.6 Thunderbird stalls while taking off from being stopping awhile. Like at a drive thru or long stop-light, this is in drive only and shifting from reverse to drive. I was thinking an idle speed motor or IAC. I replaced the plugs w/Motorcraft and made sure the gaps were same and met owners manual specs

Gas Door Problems
I have a power gas door but it wont pop open when I push the button on the console.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
There is a manual release for the gas door. Look in the trunk in the left rear corner by the tail light. It is under the carpeting.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It will idle well then sputter when the fan kicks on or something comes on. It goes around 500 rpm or less. I have the code for the EGR valve clogged, my dads 97 F-150 has the same code and runs like a 'stang.

I use the manual release but was wondering if there was a fix. haha

·
Registered
680 Posts
My 92 had the gas door popper quit working. Then I would open my trunk and do it manually then that broke. Then I had a long skinny piece of metal to unhook it; needless to say, I received some funny looks...

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Well, the T-Bird just may be more sensitive to the EGR blockage than the F150. I would take care of that as I bet that's what causing your issue. And if not, then it's a good place to start. No sense looking for some other problem until you fix the one you know you have.

Jay

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I never saw a fuse for the fuel door, lets just hope the cable dosent break. The EGR may be the main reason I have sub-par fuel mileage but my question is How do you clean it? I was looking at that post last night Dusty seems IAC is the problem, all of the symptoms it all checks out.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Not sure how well cleaning an EGR valve will work, but it's worth a shot I guess. On the 95 the passages in the intake are also known to clog up over time, so you have to fish your hands down between the firewall, cowl, and upper intake and take the EGR off and you will see the passages. It's not as hard as you think, but then again I've done it once and it took me a while, so now I know how to attack it, lol... Works best to remove part of the cowl to free up some space IIRC. This may be causing the issue as well, and possibly the DPFE sensor.

Jay

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Check for a vacuum leak at the back of your engine where the hose(s) attach to the intake. Had the same problem with my 95 Town Car and eventually the check engine light came on with system lean. The PCV hose was collapsed and had a hole in it. I was surprised it idled so well with that big of leak.

·
Registered
519 Posts
PFE SENSOR causes low idle & stalling it's behind the throttle body. and MAF is probally bad too

1 - 13 of 13 Posts