TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so the first problem:

symptoms: voltmeter was reading low, so i replaced the battery, and with the brand new battery still reads low.

suspected conclusion: alternator

problem two:

symptoms: difficulty applying the brakes, very hard pedal. also a hissing sound when pedal is pressed.

suspected conclusion: bad brake booster, perhaps not enough vacuum due to the 96/97 intake. also i dont know what kind of booster i should get.

so what im asking is your opinion on these problems, and the quickest way to treat them.

·
Registered
158 Posts
1. Take the alternator to your local parts place let them bench test it.

2. Check first for busted vacuum lines then replace as necessary. If it still does it brake booster it is.

·
Super Moderator
9,141 Posts
1. Take the alternator to your local parts place let them bench test it.

2. Check first for busted vacuum lines then replace as necessary. If it still does it brake booster it is.
^^ X2

If you need to replace the booster, replace it with one for your car; the different intake setup doesn't change the booster you need.

·
Super Moderator
10,287 Posts
The brushes are probably toast on the alternator; I just replaced two sets, and both were gone at ~200k each.

And be sure to paint the booster; the one I got was oiled, and is now very rusty, lol.

·
Super Moderator
4,886 Posts
Paint The Booster Noted. I Was Just Going To Get An Alternator From Pepboys For $130 Would I Really Save That Much Refurbishing The One I Already have
I dunno, but you'll get a better quality unit, as long as it's a competent shop.

Them folks in Malaysia or Afghanistan or wherever they're rebuilt for Pep Boys don't put much care into their work, it seems.

RwP

·
Super Moderator
10,287 Posts
I bought a kit off amazon cheap, with everything to rebuild it.

They have kits with the diodes, or whatever else that goes bad available as well.

·
Super Moderator
4,886 Posts
I'd bet the ignition wires are installed before the alternator is at the factory.

RwP

·
Super Moderator
9,141 Posts
Bearings are probably on their way out. If you've got a good impact you can remove the pulley and replace them yourself. Look for a Ford 3G alternator rebuild kit or bearings (drive end and sleeve end), should run about $30 or so.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
The $130 alternators at Pep Boys are refurbished with new parts. They are disassembled, inspected, and all wearable parts are replaced. All the ones I've seen have Motorcraft voltage regulators installed. Just don't get the valugrade...trust me, I work there. Spring for the lifetime warranty. I've had very few returns on those units.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Some pre COP Crown Vics had the wires going over the alt. But they had a nifty little plastic bridge to hold the wires. I'm guessing "under" was adopted because it was a cheaper, easier way to keep the wires from falling into the fanbelt. And the alt can be tested with it still in the car, too.

·
Super Moderator
10,287 Posts
...but the alternator squeaks when its cold...:/
Did you replace the belt?

It may have gotten into the oil under the harmonic balancer, and need to be swapped. (Your car may not leak there. But most do. :) )

I recommend the goodyear gatorback belts; I've got like 8 years on one I'm going to replace soon.

I'd hit all the pulleys with carb cleaner, being careful not to get it on any plastic or rubber. Let it dry for a while before you put your new belt on. (I use starter fluid when it's this cold out to clean stuff with; it will still evaporate. Don't smoke, or breathe it while you're doing this; that would be bad.)

:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts