TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Will the 16" x 7" wheel (swept soft 5-spoke) that came on the 1990 SuperCoupes (it looks very similar to the 16" wheel on the '96-'97 T-Birds) fit on a '97 Thunderbird; I mean, will it stick OUT (away from the center of the car) as far into the wheel opening (especially in the rear) as the 16" stock wheel on the '97's? I guess I'm asking if it has the same backspacing/offset as the '97 16" wheel?

2 Will an aftermarket wheel that has a backspacing of 5.90" and an offset of 42mm stick OUT (away from the center of the car) as far into the wheel opening as the 16" stock wheel that cam on my '97 T-Bird?

I'm asking because I've had wheels on my T-Bird for the last three years or so that originally came on a 1999 Taurus SHO, and I've decided it's time to replace them due to their being severely corroded & pitted from being through several OH winters (I live in Phoenix, AZ now). I've never really liked how they sit further INTO the wheel openings than the stock T-Bird wheels did (it's especially noticeable on the rear wheels), due to their having different offset than the original 16" wheels. I want wheels that will stick OUT into the wheel openings at least as much as the original stock wheels did.

Thanks,

Dennis

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SC wheels have the same offset as sport wheels. The less offset the wheels have the further "out" they'll be. 42 is too much offset, those will sit as far in as the Taurus wheels.
Thanks for that info, Matt; you saved me some trouble if I had bought the aftermarket wheels I was thinking of buying, then would've been unhappy with their offset!

Dennis

1 - 3 of 3 Posts