TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1). Ok first of all my car now has 91k miles on it, i've never got the coolant flushed in it. Either has the previuos owner. I'm getting it flushed this week sometime.

Anyways, I think this is normal but everytime i start my car the fan kicks on. Initinal to a cold start up, about 5 mins the fan kicks on because of how badly thin and brown my coolant is. On May 20th, I drove to cedar point no probs with the car this way.

I also think it could be one of my sensors are bad also. My temp guage in my car always sits on C, when its hot. Before it began to sit on C, there was a symptom when it would sit on C then shoot up to the normal level. Whats the name of the sensor I should look at, and whats the location of it if its the problem?

Will this problem go away after I flush my system, or did the sensor just go bad? Also, how much will this sensor run me if its the problem?

2.) Whats the EMPG on this vehicle? I cannot get higher than 210-230mi a tank. Also any reccomendations to increase gas milage?

Thanks.

(PS I saw another TCCOA members car at a rest spot on the ohio turnpike on the way to cedar ponit (red t-bird 95 or 96 didn't see the front) with cobra-R chrome rims. Only way I knew it was a TCCOA member was the sticker on the rear window.) I was going to comment on the nice work done on that car but we were running late already. :D

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
As far as mileage.... be gentle!! The 4.6L engine is very, VERY sensitive to driving style!! I can EASILY cut 5 to 8 mpg off my overall average just by doing a lot of WOT runs! It is amazing.

As for your other problem, I would flush the system and then go from there. What it really sounds like is that your thermostat is stuck in the open position. And if you’re running cold, you’ll burn more fuel also. :D

There are two sensors; one if strictly for the gauge and the other is for the engine. The one for the gauge only has one wire going to it (I can’t remember if it is to the left or right of the alternator), and it’s very easy to get to. If it were I, I would replace the thermostat (and gasket), flush the system and see what happens. :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
94 Daily Driven 4.6L said:
The one for the gauge only has one wire going to it (I can’t remember if it is to the left or right of the alternator), and it’s very easy to get to.
only one wire? i was just looking at bth of mine on my '97 and they both have two wires :zdunno: ...or is that how they were on the 94/95's?

razzibird, as far as gas mileage, new front-oxygen sensors won't hurt the car (only your wallet :)) .....and if u havent done so, read the technical article on cleaning the mass-air sensor........switching to synthetic oil in the engine and differential, and mercon-V in the transmission, will also decrease parasitic losses that hurt fuel economy......make sure your tires are properly inflated, and aligned perfectly..........go buy some Seafoam engine treatment (and read the label for directions) and treat the engine with it

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
guitar maestro said:
only one wire? I was just looking at both of mine on my '97 and they both have two wires :zdunno: ...or is that how they were on the 94/95's?
As it should.... :D

Plastic intake = no ground for the sending unit. :D

Aluminum intake = good ground for the sending unit. :D (And no cracks.... hehehehehe :tongue: )

The one for the EEC should have three wires going to it: voltage, return (EEC ground), and signal (I think). :thumbsup:

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok let me go a little more in-depth.

The needle moves only to the first line on the guage right after cold. That part of the dash has been rattling on me so I've been pressing on that area to get it to stop. One day I did, only I hit it instead, but the needle worked after that fine. Then it started to slowly die. Sometimes it seemed like it got stuck at cold then kicked straight up to norm. It sounded like there was an air release or something as it did it. Sometimes it would do it when the fan kicked on. I checked the one sensor by the alt and it looked fine, connected. Wires GOOD. I heard that there is another sensor on the engine or something like that. Where is that one located? Could it make the other sensor malfunction?

Another q, would the fan cause any of this because it kicks on almost 5mins after start up, could it be a relay on the fan?

I want to fix my guage before I take it in to get the coolant flushed because i'm gettin it done at a dealership and I don't wanna get shafted. hehe kind of an oxymoron but the people there do good work and stand behind it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts