TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i bought my mark it came with 2 snow tires. should i put them on my front wheels for better turning? or my rear wheels for better rear traction? the other two tires are brand new Micheline all season tires, that look like they will have good traction in the snow anyways, but i'm sure the snow tires will be a little better.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
They should go on the rear - that car is a front-heavy, rear-wheel-drive vehicle that is going to need more traction in the rear on snow and ice!

Dennis

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Get four, it's no help if you can move but can't stop.

-Miller

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,527 Posts
^^^^ +1

In the snow, stopping quickly is just as important - if not more important - than getting going quickly. Imagine yourself having to slam on the brakes on a snowy road at night with snow tires on the rear wheels only.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh i know, i went without last year on my t-bird... it was pretty much a nightmare compared to my old car (audi a6 quattro with blizzacks). i guess i'll have to save up for two more. That's why i asked now so that i would have time. I'll probably just sell my new Michelines to pay for them because i only use those rims in the winter anyways.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Buy 4, having just two would be pointless. If you put them on the rear then you'd be able to go, but would have a hard time steering, with them in the front you'd probably be fishtailing all over.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Buy 4, having just two would be pointless. If you put them on the rear then you'd be able to go, but would have a hard time steering, with them in the front you'd probably be fishtailing all over.
Yes, definitely get 4 if you can afford to - that's BY FAR the best way to go!! If you only have 2, however, mount them on the rear.

I had good luck with Dunlop snow tires on my 1988 Mustang LX (V-8) and with Michelin Pilot Arctic Alpin PA2 snow tires that were on my 2004 Mercury Sable LS.

Dennis

1 - 7 of 7 Posts