TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys i saw an ad in the paper for a 94 dodge ran for 500 bucks. i only need it to back up the f250 just in case it ever goes down. anyway i call the guy and he said that the truck is stuck in 2 wheel drive. i have heard of them being stuck in 4 wheel b

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
sorry for some reason that got cut off. anyway does anyone have any ideas on what the problem is and also could a regular guy fix it without having to go to a mechanic? thanks for any advice

·
Registered
917 Posts
Could be a multitude of things: some 4x4s have vacuum actuated front diff locks, that could be malfunctioning. On my jeep it was as simple as reconnecting the vacuum line. The guy could be stupid and not know how to manually lock the hubs... Transfer case could be stuck or broken, maybe been sitting along time. Transfer case linkage could be broken. If it's electronic 4WD it could be a fuse, problem with the electronics, solenoid blown out. That's what I would check.

·
Super Moderator
7,740 Posts
Who cares, for $500 for a truck that runs, pick it up, and just don't go off-roading with the thing.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha true but it needs to be a back up for a hog trailer and sometimes needs 4 wheel drive to get threw the snow and mud

·
Registered
485 Posts
Even if the transfer case is screwed up the cost to pick up a replacement, parts and fluids would only be about 200-400 depending on where ya live. And there really easy to change, so pick it up figure it out later. My guess would be something stupid rather than the transfer case actually being locked but who knows.

·
Registered
893 Posts
It will have linkage to the transfer case and a vacuum line to the front axle. Lift all four wheels off the ground, start the truck, and try to engage 4WD. If the front driveshaft does not spin, you have a transfer case or linkage problem. If it does spin, then your problem is with the vacuum or axle itself. The axle works with a simple little vacuum operated shift fork. I'll bet money that vacuum line is leaking or just flat out broke.

·
Registered
219 Posts
funny , my buddy jay just bought a 94 with the same issue , also a dodge , for an extra plow truck . didn't really need it , but for 700 he wasn't gonna pass it up . it was the vacuum line on his .he just picked up an 83 f250 with a 400 and auto that's a 4x4 for 200 as the brake calipers were frozen . kid didna have a clue . got it for 200 . buy any cheap truck they're worth it for parts at the least !

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
On Ford the MLPS is involved in all that too - One of Pins we don't use in our MLPS Connector is for AWD vehicles.

·
Registered
917 Posts
see if he'll take 350 but for a 94 500 is a great deal. plus if replacement of some mechanicals is required the cost of that would probably still be under what you'd pay for a dodge of the same year in perfect working order IMO. and, IIRC the dodge 4x4s have straight axle's in front and from experience there's no replacement for that on a truck. it's stronger and much more durrable than IFS.

·
Registered
893 Posts
They do have solid front axles and if I remember right the 1/2 ton is a Dana 44 and the 3/4 and 1 ton is a Dana 60.

·
Registered
893 Posts
By "there's no replacement for that" he meant that a solid front axle is better than independent front suspension. You can get replacement parts or entire axles, they're fairly easy to find.

·
Super Moderator
11,018 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
If you get the truck, start sniffing around over at www.DodgeTalk.com. They'll be able to answer any questions you may have.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts