TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine has a 2000 explorer with the 5.0 (last year they made them if im not mistaken) He called a salvage yard and they wanted somewhere around $1800 for an engine. Is there any difference between the 5.0 in his explorer and any other 5.0 out there?

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
contact justin if he wants to get a good deal on a motor... im going to be getting one soon as I get a pic and a couple more bucks

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I think that sometime in the 90's the Explorer 5.0's went distributorless. I don't know if all the sensors will go on a regular 5.0 or not.
Also, 2001 was the last year for the pushrod Explorer.

·
8,239 Posts
he would need a 99-01 explorer or mountaineer 302.

Yes they are different than anything else out there. I forget the exact specs, i'm not a 302 guy, something about different heads, etc.

Your price is about 900 bucks too high.

Keep looking son.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
They have things like the GT40-P heads that you need to have since there is a specific exhaust manifold for them.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I agree with KrazyT,Contact Justin he will give you the best deal.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
What's wrong with the motor he has? You can completely rebuild a 5.0 much cheaper than you can a 4.6.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Not for what the motor is going to cost him he cant.It only cost me about $2k to buy and install my PI motor which will out perform any 5.0 stock for stock.

·
8,239 Posts
95xbird said:
Not for what the motor is going to cost him he cant.It only cost me about $2k to buy and install my PI motor which will out perform any 5.0 stock for stock.
Yeah but he's saying you can rebuild a 302 for dirt cheap.

Might be his best bet.

A 95 tbird 4.6L motor is a boat anchor, you replace them.

A 302, you can do alot with it for very very cheap.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
And how much longer will it be before the Aftermarket world for the 2V PI is like that.The 4.6 2V is the next 5.0 in the aftermarket world.With all the new 3V's out now it is only a matter of time.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
95xbird said:
What I mean is, unless his block is cracked or something major, why doesn't he just rebuild the motor that he already has? It will be much cheaper than buying a used motor and if done right it will be like new.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts