TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a V8 LS in my area that has engine issues and was hoping some of you could answer a few questions. As I said it is a 2000 LS 3.9 V8 with 160,XXX miles.

The story goes as this: The man's wife was driving the car and pulled up to a redlight and the car dies. She gets it started and pulls it over to the side of the road. Some how they get it home. He told me that He had a "Mechanic friend" look at the car and said that the engine would have to be torn down to find out what was wrong with it. This is because by this man's account it sounds like "a valve is slapping the piston" He suspects a broken valve spring or it jumped timing. Neither himself or his "mechanic friend" has attempted to pull codes off the car. HE self reports that he knows nothing about Lincolns so he just bought his wife another car.

So What is the likelihood that it is a valve slapping the piston? And is this motor theoretically set up like our modular 4.6's? Does it have a timing chain or a timing belt? I know that this is little to no information to work with but lets think theoretically and I might just go down there and pull codes off the car to see what it says.

It has the premium 17" wheels, sunroof, leather interior, clean exterior; if I could get it for 1,000 or 1,200 would it be worth find a 3.9 elsewhere to drop in?

Thanks guys
Jonathan

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
1 - 2 of 2 Posts