TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriends car has been loosing antifreeze, but when I took off the radiator cap I found antifreeze.......and oil. So tomorrow I am going to try to fix it. Has anyone else had this problem. It is the 3.4 LS, and I think there was a problem with the intake gaskets, so I hope its that and not a head gasket. Any advice for my? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Have you pulled the oil dipstick to see what the oil looks like? Hope it doesn't look like a choc. milkshake. The question is has any antifreeze made it into the oil, and if so, how badly (if any) has it damaged the bearings and whatnot.

Jay

·
Registered
850 Posts
try to rent a pressure tester from autozone or someplace like that to determine if there is a leak and how bad it is. My friends 90 blazer recently just got a real bad coolant leak in the block and it leaks into the oil. When we checked the dipstick it looked like vanilla pudding, we had to drop the pan and literally scoop the "oil" out it was so bad.
btw, I know its the other way around for you, but I thought I'd mention my friends truck.

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,670 Posts
Blown Headgasket symptoms.. that sounds familiar....

And scooping the oil out - check out this picture... It was close for me.

[/img]http://mwtc.phrozen-neon.com/forums/myspace/members/Melon/Swap/Bad%20Oil.JPG[/img]

Yummy, huh? Tore my old motor apart a few weeks ago and this is what we found in the oil filter and pan.

-Melon

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I worked on it today and for every one bolt I had to take off I had to take three other things off. BIG p-i-t-a. I got it down to the lower intake and had to stop because I have to take the power steering off and I left my pulley puller at home. (I do all my car work in my cousins garage) So I get to get up early so I can try to get done before work. I am leaning more toward the intake gasket because I checked the plugs and they looked great and the oil looks great as well. The only thing is the pudding in the anti freeze. Ill keep you guys informed. Thanks

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
When your done fixing it tell her to sell it and get a good car like a ford :) Iv worked on my friends 96 monte and i swear all those v6 engines are all the same. Just to change the tstat you got to take off 20 things. They really screwed up on those engines.

-Matt-

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Bah, those 60 degree V6s are good engines. Reliable, anyhow. They just have their quirks. I'd certainly take a 2.8/3.1/3100/3400 over a Ford 3.8 any day of the week, and twice on Thursday.

Of course, the 3.4 DOHC is another story. Whoever decided that putting a piece of RUBBER in charge of keeping four camshafts in sync is a moron.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well finally got it done on day three. Chevy engineers sure made those things so people would take them to the dealer instead of doing the work themselves. There is still one connecter that I couldnt find the other part, but it runs and drives great. Tomorrow I just have to check the ground for leaks. It feels good to be done. Now I can get back to working on my car and getting it ready for wfc.:zdevil:

·
The Band, not the Disease!
3,090 Posts
Yup. The buicks intake gaskets had problems too... be careful because the pushrods for the intake valves are a different size then the exhaust valves. Dont switch them around!! =)

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Andy, ya messed up on that second pic. Jeez...man. Here ya go:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts