TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Johnny Five is Alive, TCCoAAC Member
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a something I found for our mod motor people.

So how many people in here fall into this category ?

Ford Warns Of Defective 4.6L Engines In 2001-2004 Models.

Ford Motor Company told dealers that 4.6L 2V engines built prior to 29 September 03 and installed in 2001 through 2004 Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles may have defective cylinder heads.

The engines were installed in:

• 2001 - 2004 Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Grand Marquis and Lincoln Town Cars
• 2002 - 2004 Ford Explorer and Mercury Mountaineer
• 2001 - 2004 Ford Mustang GT
• 2001 - 2004 Ford E-Series Vans
• 2001 - 2004 Expedition
• 2001 - 2004 F150s

According to Ford, the 4.6L engines "may exhibit an engine tick noise that is present at all temperatures during idle. The noise may be emanating from the valve guide area in the cylinder head. The noise may be more prevalent in the front wheel area, any may not be heard with the hood open."

Unfortunately, Ford may not notify owners of this action and will only perform the service to those who know what to ask for in order to get their vehicle fixed. It's part of Ford's secret warranty program - a.k.a, "If you don't ask, we won't tell."

Owners should contact their Ford of Lincoln Mercury dealership service center to perform service T-31604 or Pat Hoye (313) 248-8336 at Ford World Headquarters or click here for a Ford executive assigned to your area for more information. Owners are advised to have their vehicles inspected before the warranty period expires.

It's your money - demand a better product and Ford will listen..

** this was takin from a local forum i just started visiting.. **

·
Registered
292 Posts
Do you know of any 'speak easy' defects on 95 Crown Vic? My engine is getting old, so I'll have replaced in there anything if it's for free.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Now if you install one of those new defected motors in our older cars, will they still cover it, or can it only be done on the original car.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
I called and as long as the VIN it came out of falls in the range they wil cover it....at tleast the ones bought through greenleaf

·
5w30 Guzzler
1,462 Posts
so what exactly is the defect? what makes the ticking sound?

they make it sound like all these owners are getting screwed bc ford wont notify them. if it's not a big enough deal to complain, then...
but if there is a bigger mechanical problem that could develop, then ford SHOULD notify everyone.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Im glade I got mine threw G leaf, but who fixes it , the dealer or ????

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I seriously doubt they are going to do anything on an engine that isn't in its original home. I could be wrong, if someone has this problem and gets it fixed with the engine in your MN-12 (without having a connection) thats great. Don't count on it though.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
4 Cam Bird said:
I seriously doubt they are going to do anything on an engine that isn't in its original home. I could be wrong, if someone has this problem and gets it fixed with the engine in your MN-12 (without having a connection) thats great. Don't count on it though.
I think you're right and also, wouldn't most of the cars you get engines from in the junkyard have salvage titles? Wouldn't the "warranty," "recall," etc. be void then anyways?

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Yes, warantee/recall work is voided once the title is a salvage title. Thought myabe the greenleaf place somehow got stuff that didn't have slvage titles since people were making it sound special.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Yeah I'm not counting on anything and since I don't seem to have a problem I'm not all that worried but the person at Ford I spoke with yesterday indicated it is not an automatic no if it was bought through greenleaf and I had the VIN of what it came out of. I think the problem is with valve guides

·
The Band, not the Disease!
3,090 Posts
If you put that engine in there, all they would have to say is "Well, you screwed up the engine while you put it in another type of car, you did the damage" simple as that. Just like warranty work. If you have an 03 cobra, and you want to put aftermarket parts on it, the warranty would void. They would say that the aftermarket parts you put on did the damage to the car, and it was your fault. So if you have a warranty on a car you want to modify, make it so the parts can come off easilly so you can take it in for waranty work... ;)

·
Registered
610 Posts
Noy totally true as they have to prove it caused the damage. For example, I install a K&N and the rear end breaks. There are mod friendly dealers out there, you just have to look. But it is best more often than not to remove the mods before dealer work.

AnthraxBird said:
If you put that engine in there, all they would have to say is "Well, you screwed up the engine while you put it in another type of car, you did the damage" simple as that. Just like warranty work. If you have an 03 cobra, and you want to put aftermarket parts on it, the warranty would void. They would say that the aftermarket parts you put on did the damage to the car, and it was your fault. So if you have a warranty on a car you want to modify, make it so the parts can come off easilly so you can take it in for waranty work... ;)

·
Moderator, Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan, TCCoAAC Found
3,165 Posts
If you bought the motor, it came with bad heads, no matter what car you put it in, it still has the bad heads, so it should be covered wherever it goes. If it was still on a crate they would fix it. Thats like Ford not replacing the plastic intakes because you have mods on the car... Doesnt happen unless your name is Joel....

·
Johnny Five is Alive, TCCoAAC Member
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Blown94SC said:
That was posted on BON for the 03 mustangs. It has been out for a little while. Where did you get this information?
i pulled it off tamparacing.com i didn't see anything here.. I here alot of 4.6 swaps going on..

·
Astrophysicist / PostWhore
2,028 Posts
I have a few friends w/ newer Mustang GT's ('99 and '02 respectively).

Is there a link to a website that had this info posted (like blueovalnews.com or whatever that site is)? They tend to never believe me ... till I send them a link. :leftright

What's w/ Ford's problems w/ the 2v. The 4v hasn't had as many problems ... at least ... that's what it seems like.

:2huh:

·
Registered
615 Posts
wkstill, where around tampa do you live? I am near the USF area.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts