TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so my idea of rebuilding my old engine seems to be getting more and more expensive. The kits for these things are rediculously high (could be because we essentially have throw away rods). I have found a pretty cheap crate motor, still in the box, that's a Ford reman. According to the part numbers is supposed to be for a 2001 Crown Vic/Grand Marquis. There isn't an intake on the engine but otherwise it's complete. From what I've gathered through searches this should fit my 95 without too much difficulty. I know I'll need a PI intake (recommendations on donor car?), 96-97 style intake tube, throttle body(upgrade?), plenum, fuel rails(have seen where some suggest 96+ Crown Vic fuel rail will fit my fuel lines better, is this the case?), and what else? Is there someone that sells this stuff new as sort of an unofficial PI upgrade kit? What about the front cover for the engines? I'm assuming I'll need to reuse my Tbird oil pan and pickup. Anything I'm overlooking here? Oh, and if someone is kind enough to have part numbers... :-D Thanks in advance.

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
flying low said:
Ok, so my idea of rebuilding my old engine seems to be getting more and more expensive. The kits for these things are rediculously high (could be because we essentially have throw away rods). I have found a pretty cheap crate motor, still in the box, that's a Ford reman. According to the part numbers is supposed to be for a 2001 Crown Vic/Grand Marquis. There isn't an intake on the engine but otherwise it's complete. From what I've gathered through searches this should fit my 95 without too much difficulty. I know I'll need a PI intake (recommendations on donor car?), 96-97 style intake tube, throttle body(upgrade?), plenum, fuel rails(have seen where some suggest 96+ Crown Vic fuel rail will fit my fuel lines better, is this the case?), and what else? Is there someone that sells this stuff new as sort of an unofficial PI upgrade kit? What about the front cover for the engines? I'm assuming I'll need to reuse my Tbird oil pan and pickup. Anything I'm overlooking here? Oh, and if someone is kind enough to have part numbers... :-D Thanks in advance.
In addition to the '95 stuff you mentioned, basically you will be reusing your front cover to bolt the accessories to and you will need exhaust manifold gaskets, intake gaskets, front cover gaskets (3), oil pan gasket. I would recommend changing out your 11 year old torque converter and motor mounts.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Embalmer said:
In addition to the '95 stuff you mentioned, basically you will be reusing your front cover to bolt the accessories to...
I thought that the '95 front cover is only for the Explorer swap and that all other PI swaps require the 96/97 front cover. Correct me if I am wrong...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Transmission is a Ford reman installed about 3 years ago when the original torque converter started going nuts and no one would touch the trans.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts