TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can i use this? if so what do i have to modify cuz I know we never get anything to work out the box for these cars.

tried to search but kept getting DNS error :(

·
Registered
615 Posts
I think there is a tech article for this, but let me see if I can help you out.

I think the only thing you have to swap over from your tranny to the new one is your stock MLPS, and your TCC. Other then that it just goes in. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
If I remember right the speedo output is different on the newer trans.

-Miller

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Check my article in the WIP forum, a stang tranny is very similar to the 5.4L 4R70W swap.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
What Ashish said, plus you would need a new spedo gear ( I needed an orange one, I think, with the 3.08 rear)and you would need to re-pin the harness, which is not hard to do and results in a cleaner-looking install, IMHO.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sounds good..do they still need to be J modded or are they all fixed?

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
The pistons will already be the right kind, but you may want to change/subtract springs from them. Many of the plate holes are improved, but I'd still do the J-mod drilling to the 01 VB. the changes wont be big but you'll like it.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
Doing the J-Mod on a newer transmission is a cake walk. Just remove the springs you want removed and drill the valve body. Everything else is updated.

Re-pinning the harness can take a while. I found it was MUCH easier and nicer to disconnect the harness from the car and bring it inside and do it there with the diagram sitting on the table in front of me. It took about 45 minutes to repin.

For the speedo tooth gear. I just took the one out of the tail shaft of my old busted transmission and swapped it into the newer transmissions tail shaft. It was easy to do when they were both out of the car.

-Thomas

·
8,239 Posts
if you put the mustang tranny in your tbird then your speedometer will only be accurate to 327 gears, but no higher than that.

If you want to make it accurate for say 373's or 410's then you need to swap the output shaft out for a mark8 output shaft.

The output shaft is the very first thing that goes in the case in a rebuild.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
1 word: Speedcal ....

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Thomas said:
It took about 45 minutes to repin.
:2huh: 45 Minutes? took me like 15 to re-pin it...

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
Cougar281 said:

:2huh: 45 Minutes? took me like 15 to re-pin it...
I had a hell of a time getting those damned pins out of the harness. What'd you use? I found a bent paper clip and a scribe to work best.
-Thomas

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I don't see why not, the VSS works the same way on each one... only the 99+ stangs can changethe speedo in the EEC. I havent seen how the 96-8 Mustang wiring is any different.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I have This Pick set. I used the straight one, which worked quite well..

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
To back my post up: read JL's post

Johnny Langton said:

Yep,the Tbirds use a 7-tooth gearing on output shaft for the VSS,and the purple 21 tooth is for the 3.73's using the 7 tooth.But for the 8 tooth,you'll need that queer 23 tooth that is hit and miss for durability.It's not a parameter that can be changed via the EEC.The Tbird and '96-'98 GT use an analog signal whereas the '99-up Mustangs use a digital signal that can be modified via the EEC.The other option is to get a speedcal and it should work fine.The 8 tooth output shaft uses the 21 tooth gear with 3.27's.
JL
Click me

scott said:
LX, you got alot more miles from one than I did. I couldn't get more than about 100 miles out of one. I even tried to machine one a bit. The problem is the helix angle and the depth of the teeth. I machined the OD down on one and then re cut the teeth on a milling machine but the teeth got too thin. I went with the speed-cal and all is GOOD.
scott said:
I don't see why it wouldn't work on your 95. I have one in my 97 and it works fine.
Click me 2

1 - 17 of 17 Posts