TCCoA Forums banner

2001 Towncar Plug Replacement

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  MadMikeyL 
#1 ·
Looked at several vids and help forums but none mention removing the high pressure fuel rail that is above and blocking the ignition coils. Can someone point me to some help on this. It looks like it's beyond my paygrade to do a simple plug replacement on this 2001 4.6 liter with 72k miles. It's running rough sometimes and I don't know the service history although It was very well maintained by previous owner. I do have the stuff to test the coils and firing. Just cannot see how to remove the plugs due to the long rail blocking them.

#2 ·
Once the bolts are removed, there is enough play in the coil boots that they can slide out around the fuel rail. It is a very easy job. Personally, with the vehicle being 18 years old, I would replace the coils at the same time. They fail due to heat and age more than mileage, so they are probably causing more of a problem than the plugs if it only has 72K miles on it.

#3 ·
You don’t need to remove the fuel rails, after you remove the retaining bolts you need to firmly pull the coils towards the valve covers for them to clear, and do the reverse for installation. The angle of the spark plug wells allows for a straight shot to the plugs with the wrench without interfering with the fuel rails.

Wear mechanics gloves when you’re pulling and installing the coils, I can’t tell you how many times I’ve broken skin against the fuel rails getting them out.

#4 ·
Thanks for the input. So by just pushing the coil up towards the valve cover, I can wiggle them out. As for replacing all of them, I know I can check if they are sending spark voltage to the plug. I got one of those fake plugs with the ground wire on it. If I do decide to simply replace all 8, I've noticed over at RA, they have 13 different coils listed ranging in price from $8 to $33. The Ford version is $31/ea. Bosch is $19 and the Spectra Premium are $75/8 coils or $10.80 individual. Any suggestions? And thank you for the glove warning. I always forget until too late :+[

#5 ·
Just cause it delivers spark according to the tester doesn’t mean it isn’t bad. The plastic insulation breaks down, and it starts intermittently misfiring, usually worse when it is raining. If you are going to keep the car long-term spend the extra money and get the motorcraft ones. The originals lasted 18 years, and the aftermarket ones usually last 2 or 3 years, so when you divide the cost over their lifespan, the motorcrafts are the better value.

#6 ·
I was going to suggest holding the coil by the "wire" section as it was tested to rule that out, Mikey. :)

Motorcraft is the way to go.

#7 · (Edited)
The price on the Motorcraft is all over the spectrum. Set can run from $191 to $384 depending on where purchased. Best deal looks like AMZN on the Motorcraft. If you buy them individually, they are Prime and slightly lower in cost. Instead of getting the Spectra Premium for $75ish, you guys have talked me into spending the extra dough on the Motorcraft even though we don't drive it that much. Thanks. I kind of expected that answer from the crew here. Y'all are always giving me the best answers.

#8 ·
I don't mind spending money on factory parts, but even I wouldn't replace the coils at 72k miles if the plugs are likely the originals. Try a set of factory Motorcraft double platinum plugs and go from there.

Although the car ran fine, my original plugs with 62k looked quite worn. A new set really perked the car up.

Al

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.