TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 Bmw M3

I want one ohh god do I want one.
I just played with one lastnight (was driving it-yah so shoot me it's blazing fast and handles bettern than anything I've ever driven)
WHoo hoo I was almost tempted to trade my 95 XR-7 on one but the sticker price killed any thoughts of that maybe in 2 years I'll have one as a daily driver after I make the XR my weekend car.
My thoughts.
Ford needs somethig like this fast, balanced, smooth,powerfull, and room for 5 plus luggage.
My driving impressions.
First gear. Zoom engine is all over the tach like a motorcycle engine
2nd gear you want to go where how fast OK
3rd gear is good to about 100....jesus
4th I have 2 more gears to go?!!?! I want one of these!!
5th I can hear heaven calling me.......
6th i never got there gave up I quit I figured 140 was as fast as I needed to go ever in a car on an innerstate in the middle of the night.
Raced a Z-28 that I know has ported heads and about 2200 bucks in other stuff( gears,chip, some aftermarket intake and headers + rims and tires)
had a nice bowtie snack.
Easily.
just so you know

·
Premium Member
2,643 Posts
2002 BMW 3

A bit on the delirious side aren't you. I'm not doubting your finding but getting a bit carried away don't you think.

·
Registered
278 Posts
M3s are very cool cars. I've come to find out that the older ones were nowhere near as fastas the newer ones. I was driving down International Speedway Blvd. (Daytona Beach), and a white 98 M3 pulls up along side. Two guys in there 20's look over and think that they're gonna show this kid a thing or two about raicing.......WRONG!. Light goes green I gotta full car length on him. Next light. Guy gets real serious now that his friends in the passenger seat is givin him **** foir loosing to a Cougar. This time I launch the car....BAM easy 2 lenghts on him I'm looin' in the rear view and I see the front of the car bouncing as he's ripping shifts back there. To no avail he pulls up at the next light, looks at me real pissed off, and turns into a shopping center at 12:00 at night. Unless he was gonna so some late-night shopping in a closed store, I'd say someone was embarrassed. :D

And for the beating of the moddified Z28 I'm waiving the Bull **** Flag!!
My best friend has a 02 Z28 with a SLP airbox lid and underhod ram-air setup that runs 12.7's at 110.5. I think it would like to eat some German sausage! I know for a fast that M3 isn't that fast because there are quite a few new ones around here and we've eaten thier lunch with the Z28.

·
Registered
635 Posts
It really is a beautiful car...

And for the beating of the moddified Z28 I'm waiving the Bull **** Flag!!
There is a big diffrence between highway racing and drag racing. My friend has a Type R with Nos and he blows away Vetts but on the strip a vette eats his lunch. So I think it could be done.

It really is a beautiful car. speaking of Vettes I was trying to stay up with one who was messing with a C5 Vette. They left me like I was standing still but it was fun to see them go!

See Ya

·
Registered
148 Posts
M3's are too cool

No Z28 will ever beat a newer M3.. The M3 is even faster than the M5 because it's much lighter.. German inline 6's are the ****.. And dont be waiving no bull**** flags anymore about z28's beating m3's.. I know my beamers

·
Registered
946 Posts
ahh..now i see where this started.

stock for stock my vote goes for the 3.2 m3...333hp gets a lot done for that car..low 13s...

unless the z28 is modded....

i thought a 98 m3 was faster than what a 200hp/270hp 4000lb car...but maybe i'm mistaken. didnt they have 240hp...and were about 34-3600 lbs...manual and all...

he must've not known how to row the gears ;)

"you almost had me? you almost had me? you never had me! you never had your car!....granny shifting not double-clutchin' like you should've..."

;)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Like the Fast and the Furious there. On SCCoA.com there's a post of F&F McDonnalds style. Its real funny. Check it out.

·
Registered
946 Posts
yea i've read that...funny stuff :)

·
Registered
946 Posts
M's ROCK. personally i'd want an M5....

·
Registered
130 Posts
M3 at Lime Rock

A woman here at work races BMW. The last two years she leased an M-coupe and this year has a beautiful red M3. Paddle shifting and everything!

She races at Lime Rock (Connecticut closed circuit track). For a 53 year old lady, she's got courage and a mean streak! Although I have not driven her car, I have had the pleasure of getting rides in it since she lives in the same small town as I do, and we car pool whenever possible.

·
Registered
946 Posts
WOW. Is she single? or...will she adopt me? paddle shifting rocks...SMGII right?

·
Registered
130 Posts
SMGII; yes and more

Yes.

For those who may not be aware, SMGII (Sequential M Gearbox) is a new kind of transmission offered in the BMW M3. It's basically a 6 speed manual with a hydralically controlled clutch so you don't use your foot to engage/disengage the clutch. The car does it for you! It doesn't act like an automatic in that it doesn't creep forward when idling and you can rev the engine, so long as you put it in neutral with the stick.

Gear selection can be by two paddles behind the steering wheel, by the traditional gear selector, or a mixture of both, and it can also be driven in self-selecting mode where the gear changes are automated. In fact, this gear change can be programmed so you change gears even faster than a racing driver. BMW claims the fastest gear changes take place in an astonishing 80 milliseconds. At the same time, you can set it so it cruises around town in fuel-saving, stress-free mode.

Declutching and gear shifting is carried out electro-hydraulically following computations made by the engine management system. A tap on the paddle, or a flick of the gear lever delivers instantaneous changes.

Basically you can choose from two basic modes - Sport or Auto.

In Sport YOU change the gears, and you can choose how quickly you want it to happen, from 1 to 6.

Six is whiz-bang, with a jerk that reminds you it's happened in a millisecond or two. Really hot stuff, especially when combined with "acceleration assistant". But you have to remember that traction control is disconnected in this mode (the only one where it is), and although there's Drivelogic's own system to help, it's not enough to prevent the back end chasing the front and the car spinning if you change direction rapidly more than once. Although I wasn't the driver, beleive me it hairy!

On the other end of the coin, Auto 1 is slow and steady, and great for takeoffs in snow and ice, or on loose dirt roads. Auto 5, though, makes you almost as much of a racing driver as Sport 6, but without any effort!

Paddles or stick shift? It doesn't really matter. The paddles, which turn with the wheel, mean you don't have to take your hands off the wheel. Pull the right one for up-changes, the left for down-changes.

Or just touch the little gear lever on the center console.

It happens quick as a flash, and when changing down you can "pre-select" if you want - select the gear you want, and the 'box will only change when you're within a safe engine revs zone. It even "blips" the engine so the downshift is smooth.

Marvellous stuff, and Carole said that in couple of hours was enough to get the hang of it, although it does require significantly more proactice to, as she put it "have lots of fun!"

The bottom line is that you make your choice according to how YOU want it. And isn't that what driving is all about? Still, words can't really describe it since it's pretty new technology so I'd recommend anyone whose is interested to go find a test drive!

·
Registered
946 Posts
it's not that pricey of an option either...i mean...if (i mean when ;)) i get an m3...you'll bet that 2400 dollar option is in there...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts