TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would a 2002 4.6 LINCOLN Continental fit in a 94 bird has anyone ever done this before, i think it is a PI engine if im wrong please correct me thanks

Rigel

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
PI it is. Will it fit???? Sure, I dont see why not!!! Will it be easy??? Really dont know about that one. Buy one and then let us know..

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol thanks alot man but are they Dohc or Sohc. i have no problem trying it out but just want make sure that it'll bolt in with any fabricating.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
InTech 4.6L(281.0cu.in.) V-8 DOHC SMPI 32 valve engine :ztoohot: Good luck!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I thought Continentals were DOHC unless they changed it somewhere along the line? I don't think the front drive 4.6's will work in a rear drive car either. So the answer is no, unless they changed something at some point along the way, which is a possibility I guess.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks alot i thought they change the continentals back to rear in 2000 maybe im wrong but ill check it out thanks

Rigel

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I went and checked, they stayed FWD, they stayed DOHC, they did get the tumble port heads in 99 (tumble port is PI equivalent for DOHC). This gave them 275 HP. A Mark VIII is rated at 280 - 290. If you are getting the engine cheap enough it is worth parting out probably, especially having the new style heads. You couldn't put it in your car though.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I agree with 4 cam bird

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks alot 4 cam bird and tx_cat

Rigel

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
FWD 4.6 block is different than RWD, I don't believe they are interchangeable ... weird mount attachments if I recall correctly. 2002 was the last year for the Continentals (thankfully). They were all 4.6 DOHC from 1995 to 2002.

cheers,
Ed N.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Continental 4V

The Continental 4V had a FWD block which has no motor mount pads on it and the RFOB is for an AXOD so it is the wrong bolt pattern for any RWD application. I guess anything is possible but you're talking about a lot of custom machining to make it work... Much easier to get a RWD 4V for an MN-12 installation.

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
don't listen to TX_cat, he doesn't know what he is talking about...lol, you Can Not use that engine, do a search and you'll get your answer why its been discussed a few times.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
JustinH said:
FWD block, won't work with the tbird, unless you want a fwd tbird with a nice Axod taurus transmission :)
Ewww. That has to be the second worst trans(axle) topped only by the A604 caravan unit. The 24v versions have AX4N's if it makes any difference,but no it's not any better than an AXODE (AXOD's went out with the 80's) I have lots of practice installing those transmissions in fact I have one of those cars being given to me next week. I put 5 used units in it and none of them lasted longer than 6 months 2 of them were bad from the start. Thats the beauty of installing junkyard tranny's I don't have to guarantee the parts they supplied :) He would have saved about $700 by properly rebuilding it the first time.
Alan

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
mn12xr7 said:
don't listen to TX_cat, he doesn't know what he is talking about, you Can Not use that engine, do a search and you'll get your answer why its been discussed a few times.

Dude, screw you man.... :rant:

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
mn12xr7 said:
i just clowning with ya bro....

Still screw you :rant:

P.S. hey bro, we hafta go to the drags before school starts...!!

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
if i recall this correctly the conti had the ax4n, but still junk. allen i know what you mean bout junk yard trannys! the one i had in the kitty lasted barley a year !(but i didnt have one to start with either)

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
Tx_Cat said:
Still screw you :rant:

P.S. hey bro, we hafta go to the drags before school starts...!!
i should have my car before the week ends so yeah i'm down and so you can also creame your panties when you see my cat..

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Yeah Yeah, bring it on!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts