TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all... Got a quick question for all you gear heads that have put a 5.4L into your birdies.

I hear problems of intakes and such and having to have the EEC burned and all, and I was wondering if I could get a 5.4L/with harness and EEC from a 02/03 E-150 and a newer year tranny and make it work?

I have heard that the 5.4 in a bird would need the van intake to clear the hood and if I'm looking I thought I could just get that engine to begin with and have the correct intake. What problems would I run into by using everything from the van? Would the harness even be long enough or would I need to extend it if it can be used? I'm clueless on this.

Just checking all my options since I will be changing the engine this winter to either a 5.4L or a 4.6l DOHC. Either one I choose will eventually get SC'd also.

Any help would be greatly helpful as I want to start getting all the misc items that will be needed. Thanks fellas.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
There is an article in the november issue of 5.0 mustang that is about a 5.4 swap into a mustang. They used billet adapters and put a PI intake on the 5.4. They used an '00 E-150 motor and they were talking about turning some of the torque management features off, so I assumed that they used the van computer. Maybe you could give them a shout and see what they say.

Russell

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Well, first of all , unless you can figure out a way to shave about 3/4 in off the wallls of the shock towers on both sides(not impossible) there will just be insuficient clearance even with really big shoe horns, and gallons of vasaline....... that aside there are a lot of considerations on fit that have to be addressed... I recommend highly J. Miller's site on 5.4 install... the 2001 5.4 L , E-150, van intake would probably work best and only require a 3'' cowl hood.... also I woulde recommend useing the truck harness, not the vans... I certainly think it would give you a fun ride.You are going to have to dimple a few spots for clearance, and will need a Torq strap thats really solid.....please do not hesitate to call on me if you go ahead with what is a realy a groundbreaking project.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Nice upgrade on your site .... as allways, you are precise and good at showing how its done...........In any case a lotta good info on Miller's site, J. ..... Jay , or whatever, after all....LOL

·
Registered
627 Posts
J.Miller said:
Jake,
I think I am Jay... Just ask around, what do I know… I only did it twice...

The link is below.
J: You have PA in your description, but your plates are the old CT ones. Where are you from?

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
DanQ said:

J: You have PA in your description, but your plates are the old CT ones. Where are you from?
I lived in CT two years ago. Now I live in PA. Last winter the 95 was lost so I now have the motor in a 97 30th Cougar in PA.

Different bodies but the same motor. I have been busy as of late and I plan on updating the pictures one of these days...

·
Registered
627 Posts
J.Miller said:

I lived in CT two years ago. Now I live in PA. Last winter the 95 was lost so I now have the motor in a 97 30th Cougar in PA.

Different bodies but the same motor. I have been busy as of late and I plan on updating the pictures one of these days...
Cool... I left CT about 20 years ago, so nothing is familiar anymore, but I remember those plates :)

Awesome motor, great webpage. Keep the good information flowing.

·
Registered
789 Posts
That won't let you use a Ford auto tranny huh?

Dan

·
Registered
789 Posts
The concept of one eec for the engine and one for the tranny gives me a headache. I'll think about it if you do it though.

Dan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts