TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i did search, but i couldn't find anything so here goes. how hard would it be to swap a 4.6 SC from a new cobra into a 4.6 bird? it seems like it should work but what do i know? i'm probably looking for something WAY out of my league but it can't hurt to find out. if it doesn't look feasible i'll look into something else. of course i would have to get the car first, but i definitely plan on doing that, so the only question is what to do with it after i get it. thanks to anyone who sheds some light on my lack of info.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Im planning the same thing. I been looking around but no good so far on the info. I mean should be plug and play as far as the puter knows. I think yud have to use the cobras Computer not sure on that one. So ya peoples chime in

·
Registered
515 Posts
Well of the top of my head you would need a bigger hood to accomodate the blower

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
but the engines all forged internals....I'd drop the cash if I had it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"And $10,000 for the long block"

hopefully that will be the hardest part. if i save my money right, i should be able to afford that in about 1 year, this is very optimistic, but i think it is possible. i don't mind getting the hood, and i could get an adapter for the wiring (hopefully!). anything else that could/would pose a problem? or anything not mentioned that would be of any significance to the success of the swap? thanks for the posts so far and for the posts to follow. i appreciate all the help, i definitely need it, lol.

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
Pooperscooper said:
It would probably be alot like a Mark VIII swap except for the wiring and the extra parts for the S/C.
Don't forget about the intercooler and plumbing.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Yeah, that is more power than you are going to want to feed a stock tranny. I would buy a tranny from Reinhardt. It is going to be the same as a regular Mark VIII or Cobra swap, you just have a blower so you are going to require a taller hood of some sort. You would also have to find some place to put the intercooler, I guess that would be one further complication that other 4V swaps do not involve. Exhaust manifolds are going to suck, the Cobra ones aren't going to work without some kind of extra modificaiton to the manifolds or car's steering assembly.

Its a 4V swap with a blower, save the money that you are going to blow on the Cobra engine (you probably won't find one cheap), get a Mark engine and do a custom build up, I say a Mark engine because it is going to be the cheapest way to get all the 4V parts (heads, alternator, front cover, brackets, bolts, etc). Then, put a Kenny Belle on it. You'll probably end up with more power that way. And not so much probably as I know a guy in town that just put a Kenny Belle on his 03 Cobra and dropped a good deal of ET and he hasn't even run it hard yet.

·
Overkill Fetish Freak
2,458 Posts
"i could get an adapter for the wiring"
The Alt placement will be your huckleberry considering the MN12 K-member is in the way. Ever wonder why I have a Cog driven Alternator on my setup? Not saying it can't be done and I can get em for 6K but it will require some fab work and that can get expensive if you are not holding madd skills.

Cobrarized FocI

·
Registered
488 Posts
well youll definitely need a new hood.......and a new computer. the one from the mark viii is what most that have done this swap use, i think.
also you need a flywheel from a 4.6 f 150 or somthin......this swap is mentioned in the tech articles somewhere. i think.

but this is a very expensive swap
alot of people have mentioned a new hood....well don forget you need to paint that too.
you kno you need a new cpu, well your gonna have to snatch a wiring harness also.

you may have to get it tuned in some way unless you put in the cobra transmission and engine and computer. which i don even kno if you can swap a cobra tranny in our cars.....

thas jus the beginning. there will be alot of $mall xpenses that may slip your mind. they will add up big time.
well these are jus some thoughts i had.
good luck.
just be sure you know what you are geting into b4 you get started.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
You are in florida. You could just use ten grand in buying either a Mark 8 or 02- cobra engine and have Dennis put it in and SC it probably for that price.

http://www.geocities.com/Nashville/1732/vormark.html
This Mark runs 11.7 which is faster then a stock 03 cobra.

-Shawn

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is a mod I've been thinking about doing as well, but the money just aint there.
Maybe in a few years when I have some money saved up and can find a cheaper used one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
"just be sure you know what you are geting into b4 you get started"

that's the main reason why i started this thread. i know that the engine will be 10,000 bucks and then there's all the small things i didn't think of, some of which i did though. i guess i just want to do something crazy just to say i did it and to have one helluva fast car. the 02 cobra/mark 8 engine swap with sc sounds a lot more reasonable. i guess i'll try doing some research on that to see what i come up with. what would you guys recommend, the mark 8 engine or the 02 cobra? i'm thinking cobra but the link that shawn posted has a mark with a sc so i know that can be done, albeit in a mark. there's just something about the cobra though that i really like. i can't put my finger on it though. don't they make more power stock than the mark 8? i could have that rebuilt then get a custom sc setup, someone mentioned Kenne Bell (sp?), those are VERY nice...i guessfor now i'll kee dreaming. looks like i'll just be in the research stage for a while. one day, though. thanks everyone.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts