TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys - I'm searching for a slightly used explorer. Any advice or experiences? I'm looking for an Eddie Bauer V8 4wd with the class 3 tow package. No trailer now, but planning on getting a camper in a couple years. Is it worth holding out to find one with the factory tow package, or better off buying one and adding it later? What do I have to watch out for when looking at these newer explorers? I know the 6 speed transmission can be funky - has that weird downshift when braking - around 5 mph. Was thinking of aiming for a certified used. Since they cost an extra grand or two, is it worth it? Anybody have good/bad experience with the ford Certified used program? Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Decided to expand my search to '08-'10 Mercury Mountaineers also. But with Mercury being phased out, how do you get any warranty work done if the vehicle still has a balance of factory powertrain? I see some Ford or Lincoln dealers in my area (NJ) that still have the Mercury sign up. But when the Mercury signs come down, can you take a Mercury Mountaineer to a Lincoln or Ford dealer for warranty work? Anybody in this boat right now? Thanks guys.

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,255 Posts
I have a 2004 Mountaineer. V6, 2wd. Three problems in my 5 years owning it.
Catyltic converter failed, covered warranty, upper ball joint and the thermostat housing.
I tow my cougar to the NMRA races for two years, never had a problem.
Got a best of 18 mpg towing at 60mph.
Avg 15mpg at70-75 mph.
It has 103000 miles.
Lincoln Aviator is built on the same platform. 2005 was the last year though.
Aviators were standard V-8. These are really luxury trucks.
Ex-wife has one. You can probally get an Aviator with less than 50k miles.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's pretty good MPG's for towing. Thanks for the heads-up on the Aviators. They're a rare find.

·
Super Moderator
10,404 Posts

·
1,255 Posts
The 18 was in flat fla. Painfully slow. I was being cheap. But thats all changed.
On I75 in kentucky"s mountains it was 14 mpg at 60mph.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I have an aviator it tows great 2005 with tow package and awd and my moms has an 02 v8 explorer 4x4 and it also tows great, the upper ball joints are common cause the boots break but I can change them in 30 minutes, also the aviator has bigger brakes 13 inch all the way around stops better than the explorer

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
06's have radiator issues. they have since been updated, but check for leaks. stay away from 02-05's. countless issues....this is coming from a 10 yr ford parts guy if that has any relevance.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I disagree on the 02-05 my moms explorer has 150k we finally put new plugs in it last week, we have not had any issues heck it still has the orginal rotors on it, I'd have to say its how they are taken care of, cause I drive it hard and have towed 6k pounds quite a few times

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I've replaced radius arm bushings on more than one late 90's Exploder.

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
I disagree on the 02-05 my moms explorer has 150k we finally put new plugs in it last week, we have not had any issues heck it still has the orginal rotors on it, I'd have to say its how they are taken care of, cause I drive it hard and have towed 6k pounds quite a few times
rear r&p's, rear tie rods, rear hubs, rear wheel bearings, front wheel hubs.....

EDIT: liftgate window hinges, liftgate window mouldings, blend air actuators, transfer cases, rear axles....

i'll stop there. just posting what we serviced on a regular basis.

·
Registered
738 Posts
rear r&p's, rear tie rods, rear hubs, rear wheel bearings, front wheel hubs.....

EDIT: liftgate window hinges, liftgate window mouldings, blend air actuators, transfer cases, rear axles....

i'll stop there. just posting what we serviced on a regular basis.
Ditto. Nothing but pure ditto. It's always a bit fun getting a new Explorer owner into the store, especially when they've just purchased a 2002-through-2005 Exploder....I used to have a prepared list of 'what to look out for' with these vehicles, but couldn't keep up with the escalating list of problems that afflict these horrible vehicles.

I call them "Budget X5's".

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I still totaly disagree, being I've owned one since new, and have only replaced one rear hub, which at 150k is normal wear and tear, being a problem would've changing them every 15k, I've worked at 2 ford dealers, and the most common thing we every saw was solenoid packs but we have never had and issue

Robert

·
1,255 Posts
So according to the ford technitions this platform is total crap.
Dealerships like to change parts under warranty, because they get paid no matter what.
Heres what happened at a frod store.
Mustang owner, I just brought this car, havnt left the lot, theres a tear on the drivers air bag cover.
Dealer, well replace it.
M O, just wondering who has to pay for it.
Dealer, ford, well say it was defective as well as the activation module.

M O-r429460
Dealer- World ford Pembroke Pines

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
So according to the ford technitions this platform is total crap.
Dealerships like to change parts under warranty, because they get paid no matter what.
you find me an 02-05 explorer/mount still under warranty...........

·
1,255 Posts
80k on my cats.
I'm not here to get into a pissing contest.
Possibly just explores are crap, not the Merc. and Lincs.
Whats the second thing a dealer trys to sell a new car buyer?

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
ok, 8/80 emissions, but not 3/36 factory

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
this is all irrellevant anyways....OP is looking at 2006-2010 models

·
1,255 Posts
Any way, how come you guys have time to post.
Shouldn't you be making money.:)

·
Registered
738 Posts
this is all irrellevant anyways....OP is looking at 2006-2010 models
It doesn't matter. My father was killed in an Explorer. His condition drastically improved later on, but it still doesn't matter, Explorers are evil.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts