TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
tight a Ford G8... i love the car but its got two too many doors to be a thunderbird.

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
I would be first in line for a modern Bird. Hell, I'm desperate... give me an 02-05 model Bird with a modern design exterior and I'd be happy. I honestly doubt if we will ever see the Bird nameplate again. Enjoy yours while it lasts.

-Joel

·
Registered
335 Posts
I would be first in line for a modern Bird. Hell, I'm desperate... give me an 02-05 model Bird with a modern design exterior and I'd be happy. I honestly doubt if we will ever see the Bird nameplate again. Enjoy yours while it lasts.

-Joel
Oh, we'll see it again, but the question is when and in what package?

The Lincoln mark series was continued, but in truck form.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Wasnt there a thunderbird with suicide doors at one time? Its possible. They are basing the new 2010 taurus off the mondeo, a european model. The aussie model falcon, at least its platform, is really "customizable" as in you can get it in a wagon or a ute. I doubt we'd see it as a thunderbird or cougar, maybe as a fusion after its 2010 makeover, since ford is thinking of selling its share of mazda, which is what the fusion is based on (mazda 6). Alan Mulally wants one and a test mule is at michigan, but with ford the way it is these days, its doubtful. They need to focus on electric, like the chevy volt. Hell, even Chrysler has some in development.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Yes, it was the 68/69 yrs model. Government deemed them unsafe, that is why most manufacturers stay away from that design.
yeah I bought one of those and did minor work to it and sold it, I really wish I had it still it was flat enamal black, it looked gangsta! lol

But on this topic I would love a new t-bird but I am afraid they would screw it up again, I love the mn12 version so much.

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
My vision is foretold...

Look for the Cougars to crawl back in the near future (with some sort of turbo eco-boost engine), but I for see no flocking of Thunderbirds for a long time as they will begin to fade with time as a distant memory.

·
Registered
917 Posts
it'll happen someday. look, the only reason the thunderbird and cougar went away, along with the mark 8 and the camaro and any other rear drive v8 coupe, was because things went to crap. the economy went to hell, people didn't have the money to have their own personal rides along with the family car, so they went for the next best thing, SUVs, vans, station wagons and sedans. the coupe will come back. and no not in the form of a honda s2000 or 240sx or whatever mini cars japan puts out, but something big comfortable and powerful. it'll happen.

·
Registered
290 Posts
it'll happen someday. look, the only reason the thunderbird and cougar went away, along with the mark 8 and the camaro and any other rear drive v8 coupe, was because things went to crap. the economy went to hell, people didn't have the money to have their own personal rides along with the family car, so they went for the next best thing, SUVs, vans, station wagons and sedans. the coupe will come back. and no not in the form of a honda s2000 or 240sx or whatever mini cars japan puts out, but something big comfortable and powerful. it'll happen.
Japs put out compact cars and the Brits put out mini cars.I am not talking about the Mini Cooper.I am talking about the really small cars (AKA micro cars) like the Peel.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I like it! I just hope Mercury stays around to see something like this come into the picture.

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
I see a gap in the market right now. Yeah, you can get a Mustang... hell I have one... but I don't LOVE the retro stuff. With Ford seeming to keep that style around for the next while, it leaves an opening for a MODERN looking coupe. I would absolutely kill for this: take the 2010 SHO. Make it a 2dr coupe, rwd, irs, keep that same styling, just a bit more aggressive. Keep the eco boost option, or throw in a detuned 5.0L @ 350 so we don't step on the Stang crowd (we can fix this later). Give it a 6 speed auto with paddle shifters, or a t-6060. Add in all that luxury crap like the SHO has, and I'll take 2 right now. One with a manual to toy with, one with the auto to commute with. It would be nice to see a modern coupe out there with some grunt. That being said... will probly never happen cause most make due with the retro muscle cars of the moment. Maybe in years to come... the retro movement will catch up with our generation of Birds and we'll see another!:tongue:

Will there be another Thunderbird? Yes. When... don't hold your breath.

-Joel

·
Registered
917 Posts
i think ford's gotta let go of the idea that there can't be anything better than the mustang. there needs to be the mustang, a performance mid size or full size coupe above that (the thunderbird), and then the gt500 or whatever model svt decides to put out. that would be a great lineup IMHO

·
Registered
591 Posts
its been done if you dont remember the GTO, and u see how that turned out

·
Super Moderator
16,743 Posts
The economy went to crap after the SUV craze, not before. While I agree SUV's were the ultimate killer of personal luxury coupes, the economy had nothing to do with it.

No one said in 1998... "well I'm going to need a lincoln navigator to cope with the tough times" :rolleyes:

SUV's are still big sellers among the idiot buying public, only they call them "crossovers" now

1 - 20 of 44 Posts