TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/15/2013-ford-shelby-gt500-delivers-650-hp-and-200-mph-straight-from/

650 horsepower. 600 pound-feet of torque. 200-plus miles per hour. With specs like these, you don't need long-form introductions. This is the 2013 Ford Shelby GT500, and all we can say is, the Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 has officially been put on notice.

The heart of the new Ford stunner is a 5.8-liter, aluminum-block V8, complete with a larger, more efficient supercharger

--

These numbers are faster then the Ford GT Supercar. Wow...

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,520 Posts
I wonder what all those 5.4 guys are going to have to say about this... :eek:

;)

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
And I wish ford would take the Shelby name off of it. Just call it a cobra.
I wonder what all those 5.4 guys are going to have to say about this... :eek:

;)
"optimized to handle the massive amounts of torque put down by the new engine."

They will probably only see that part of the article. They love TORQUE!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Damn!

·
Boost!!!
814 Posts
wow...nice!!! 600+hp on a stang straight from the factory is rediculous. i wish they would make naturally aspirated motors like the old days also, with new tech.
like when you wanted the car, and the motor choices were more diverse... like the v6, 289, 302, 351, 429, 460, and then there were the boss versions, of the 302, 351, 429...between the coupes, fastback, shelby, and boss lines there were a whole lot of choices. now you just got the standard v6, the v8, then the mega pavement ripper...lol

·
Registered
407 Posts
i hope they use some appropriate sized rear tires,do they have tires to handle all that hp and torque? ;) ( even the 2008 was mod'able to 800+hp *as far as i remember*)? :rolleyes::confused::D

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Wow. It's about time they upped the displacement. IIRC, 5.8L makes it around 351 cid. I'm guessing the new Coyote blocks were engineered to be able to make higher displacement than the standard pre-Coyote modular offerings.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Wow. It's about time they upped the displacement. IIRC, 5.8L makes it around 351 cid. I'm guessing the new Coyote blocks were engineered to be able to make higher displacement than the standard pre-Coyote modular offerings.
I love that they are bringing back historical displacements like the 5.0 and the 5.8... really cool. :)

·
Registered
966 Posts
I love that they are bringing back historical displacements like the 5.0 and the 5.8... really cool. :)
They were never called the 5.0 and the 5.8 in the 60's and 70's. They were in CID until about the 80's then they switched to liter displacement to get with the rest of the world on measurement units.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
They were never called the 5.0 and the 5.8 in the 60's and 70's. They were in CID until about the 80's then they switched to liter displacement to get with the rest of the world on measurement units.
Yes, I know that. The new 5.0 does happen to actually have a 302ci displacement, and I am sure that the new 5.8 has a 351ci displacement but we don't know yet.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Saw this on Autoblog the other day, I'm already drooling. Maybe it'll be a treat to myself after flight school? :confused::D;):tongue:

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
does anybody know what block it is based on? also is the 6.2 a differant block then the 5.4? by that i mean not just clearanced for a stroker crank but actually a differant deck height or bore spacing

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
And I wish ford would take the Shelby name off of it. Just call it a cobra....
Why would you want to lose a well respected name like Shelby? Ol' Shel is world renown as a driver (before he was diagnosed with a bad heart), and as a builder of very fast Fords.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,488 Posts
He's a colossal prick who wore out his welcome 3 decades ago. The most he's done since then is sign off on frivolous lawsuits against the people who've basically kept his name relevant during his illustrious years tarting up Omnis/K-cars and then attach his golden name(at a hefty rate mind you) to vehicles(SVT), bicycles, coffee makers:rolleyes:, ect. developed by others.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I've never seen his name on anything but Fast cars.. (well.. LOL there was that front wheel drive daytona incident.. ) and of course Texas Chili. never seen a Shelby Bicycle, or coffee maker.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Why would you want to lose a well respected name like Shelby? Ol' Shel is world renown as a driver (before he was diagnosed with a bad heart), and as a builder of very fast Fords.
Because he doesnt have any part in the design as far as I know. It seems to me that it's taking away from Ford by putting his name on what Ford's SVT designed.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts