TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Filed under: Coupe, Performance, Ford, Rumormill

It's that time of year again, kids. There are no auto shows on the horizon and most automakers have squirreled away all of their big announcements for later in the year in anticipation of the summer vacation season. What's an enterprising auto journo to do but rustle up some tasty vintage rumors for the web to feast upon? The crew at Motor Authority has taken to citing unnamed sources as saying that a 2.3-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder engine is slated to find its way into the engine bay of the 2015 Ford Mustang.

This, of course, recalls the much-celebrated (but slow-selling) Mustang SVO of the '80s. It, too, rocked a 2.3-liter forced-induction engine, which makes this particular rumor sound so sweet it makes sugar taste just like salt. MA doesn't stop with the four-pot, though. The article goes on to say that an EcoBoost V6 will also show up in the pony car around the same time, and that the 5.0-liter V8 currently tucked behind the coupe's grill will also stay along for the ride.

We hate to be the Debbie Downers of the interwebs, but we don't necessarily see a turbo four sliding into the Mustang lineup anytime soon. For starters, Ford wouldn't need to bore out the block to 2.3 liters to make solid power. The EcoBoost 2.0 already spits out 247 horsepower in the Focus ST - more than enough for a bottom-rung model.

Aside from that little tidbit, MA maintains that the rumored small 2.7-liter EcoBoost V6 will power the also oft-rumored next-gen Ford Ranger successor in the States, a model we believe to be deader than the current news cycle.

2015 Ford Mustang to get 2.3-liter EcoBoost originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 01 Jun 2011 11:29:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...

·
Super Moderator
12,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know. LOL

2015 is a long ways off.

·
Registered
407 Posts
i want to see an ecoboost coyote,imagine the power it'd put out ;) :D

·
Registered
613 Posts
I think the turbo 4 is unnecessary even though I'm a huge 84-86 SVO fan. That day is past.. and a select few of us were the winners.

They would have sold a lot more of them if the 2.3 had had a little more track record. And a few actually test drove em.

I drove several 84-86 GT's. and let a few of those owners drive my SVO...
LOL .. I didnt even have to ask what they thought. I knew how to read a tight jaw.

·
Registered
290 Posts
wait, what about the ranger? are there no plans to make anything to replace it?
From what I've been told, no. The small truck market in the U.S. has taken a crap. For a little more money and and not much worse gas mileage, you can get a full sized truck. So, Ford is dropping the ranger for the U.S. Other markets get a redesigned bigger ranger. I work in a wheel manufacturing plant and we have been making the wheels for the ranger for years and it's building out this december.

Mike

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
From what I've been told, no. The small truck market in the U.S. has taken a crap. For a little more money and and not much worse gas mileage, you can get a full sized truck. So, Ford is dropping the ranger for the U.S. Other markets get a redesigned bigger ranger. I work in a wheel manufacturing plant and we have been making the wheels for the ranger for years and it's building out this december.

Mike
I think its really too bad. I've always like Rangers, good little trucks.

Its also too bad they are closing the Twin Cities Assembly Plant that makes them, since thats where my F-150 was built back in 1989...

That would make 3 dead plants after the Dearborn Assembly that made my 2004 Mustang GT was knocked down, and after the Lorain MN12 plant was closed...

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
LOL .. I didnt even have to ask what they thought. I knew how to read a tight jaw.
Yeah the 84-86 gt's were dogs. My friends dad has a comp prep that Im pretty sure would spank the 89-93s.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I think the turbo 4 is unnecessary even though I'm a huge 84-86 SVO fan. That day is past.. and a select few of us were the winners.

They would have sold a lot more of them if the 2.3 had had a little more track record. And a few actually test drove em.

I never drove a SVO (in spite of the fact a cousin of mine still owns one), but I did enjoy my Merkur XR4Ti and 2 Turbo Coupes :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
I wouldn't mind seeing a 2.3 ecoboost motor, but I'm not sure the Mustang is the right platform for it. Would be interesting to see how this pans out.

·
Super Moderator
12,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Very interesting ...

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I wonder if it will be an Ecoboost 6 to or an Ecoboost 4. They have already used an Ecoboost 6 to compliment the 5.0 in the F-150 lineup, maybe they will do the same thing in the Mustang.

Then they can replace or compliment the V6 with an Ecoboost 4 that gets similar performance with lighter weight and better fuel economy. That last option would depend on whether they could get the cost of the Ecoboost 4 down enough to keep the car cheap enough for the traditional secretary/cheerleader/rental-lot V6 Mustang buyer.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
LOL There'll be a glut of used Mustangs available then when everybody scrambles to trade up. ... much like there is a glut now of pre-Coyote Mustangs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts