TCCoA Forums banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,587 Posts
The worst of 1970s styling was the Mustang II IMO, big bumpers, padded vinyl tops, ect. I just like to dispel the attitude many Ford fans have in that the Mustang should have undergone some sort of styling evolution akin to the Porsche 911, despite the "sacred cow" 64-1/2-68 lasting only 3-1/2 years. We as MN12 enthusiasts should know considering the Tbird not only abandoned most of it's original styling immediately, it completely changed segments.

I'd take a 71-73 over a 05-14 stylistically any day of the week. "Big" and "bloated" is subjective I guess...
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j108/cougarman1/Whatsnewisold.jpg
Show us that same picture from the rear. It's not the front that is the problem with the newer Mustangs.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
thing looks like an angry bass with hooks in its mouth >.>

i was never a fan of the high and smiley rear on those new stangs either. when you approach them from the back it looks like a dumb guy [email protected]#$ eating grin

plus when i was changing oil for a while i got to drive a few of them, and i was less then impressed.

even the yellow SVT cobra i had to back out of our oil bay was kind of ugly.

though it was a lot worse after one of our dumber employees dumped the clutch and scrapped the body kit 8 feet down the oil bay rails.

we were all told to watch for low vehicles. our rails were like 5 inches high...

yeah, just a wee bit too low for the bay their idiot... i still remember the crunching/grinding sound :D

·
Super Moderator
12,072 Posts
I like it better in the black on grey trim. Those seats are awesome. I wish I had a set of those in my car. Seats are next on my list.

Really nice car. I'd love to have one.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I find it funny that Ford redesigned the Mustang in 2005 and, much like the original 1964.5 Mustang, they worked and worked to make it uglier up through now (just like 1973). I can't wait until we see the all new 2018 "Mustang II" that looks like a cross between a Ford Focus and a Ford Fusion and performs worse than either.
Yeah it's hideous...I'm embarrassed to even take it out of the garage during daylight hours ;) Not really feeling the GT350, but if they make a 5.0 direct injection twin turbo GT500 I'll be all over it.

David

·
Super Moderator
3,587 Posts
Hey, it's nothing personal. The beauty of buying your own car is that you get to choose what you buy. If you're buying it to please others then that seems like a bad reason to buy it.

We're all allowed to have an opinion. That's why we have more than vanilla ice cream.

BTW, I apparently missed your post. I wasn't ignoring you.

Yeah it's hideous...I'm embarrassed to even take it out of the garage during daylight hours ;) Not really feeling the GT350, but if they make a 5.0 direct injection twin turbo GT500 I'll be all over it.

David

·
Registered
482 Posts
Will it tow my atv trailer or boat at 80 mph?
Should I buy a truck instead?

·
Registered
3 Posts
there's an awful lot of hating on mustang II's right now!! they might not be everyone's cup of tea but everyone that has any ford made after the 70's should be grateful of the mustang II's. if it wasn't for the sales of those cars theres no saying where ford would be right now or if there would be a ford at all.

·
Super Moderator
17,039 Posts
there's an awful lot of hating on mustang II's right now!! they might not be everyone's cup of tea but everyone that has any ford made after the 70's should be grateful of the mustang II's. if it wasn't for the sales of those cars theres no saying where ford would be right now or if there would be a ford at all.
We should all love Granadas for the same reason then...

·
Administrator
8,050 Posts
We should all love Granadas for the same reason then...
Yeah, it had a nice 9" rear end with disk brakes that fit nice under older Falcons, Mavericks, Comets and Mustangs! :)

I bought new a 78 Mustang II Mach1 with the 302 in it. Added a set of 289 Hi-Po heads, a nice cam, 600 Holley and a Fairbanks convertor in it. Ran pretty damn good! :diablo:

Don't think I would have bought another one though.

Joe

·
Super Moderator
17,039 Posts
There's not all bad in the Mustang II, to me 50% of the problem is the name - Mustang II. Godfather II was the only instance where a sequel with II or 2 in the title wasn't a letdown, ironically it too was released in 1974. Ford should have just called it a Mustang, it wouldn't be so easy to single out. The rest of it's tarnished legacy is that the vast majority of the cars were ugly mini Broughams with padded vinyl tops and every bad 70s fashion item glued to the body, plus it had the mandated 5mph bumpers that Ford sucked at integrating, but I can definitely see the appeal of a Mustang II like yours Joe. The Mach 1(2?) was pretty damn clean looking and with those mods would make it sort of a proto 82 GT(the generally agreed upon return of the performance Mustang), only lighter. I wouldn't mind a Mustang II if I could find one like that, but all I find are Ghias (which have absolutely nothing to owe to the design firm lol).

Getting us back on the topic at hand though, I realized what the GT350 reminds me of and why I like it :D

Aside from the obvious color combo(which ironically Ford made even more similar by omitting the usual Shelby rocker stripes) and the very similar promo shots, both are more road course oriented/inspired(for the day in the T/As case), it's got the splitter, it's got the fender vents, and most importantly both look significantly better than the regular models with these additions :tongue:

·
Registered
2,472 Posts

·
Is something burning?..
712 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I don't believe that this is true, ford never announced it for sure, and they said it would contend, not surpass the Z/28.
I definitely believe it is true, Ford tested the car on the Nurburgring last year and Ford didn't announce that. Until the final pricing and everything is out Ford probably isn't going to say much.

Also, why would Ford build a car to keep up with the Z/28 if they didn't have intentions of trying to surpass it?

·
Registered
78 Posts
It's not true. It originates from Horsepower Freaks which is a bogus click bait site. It's possible Ford won't ever release the times.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
Really? The source everyone refers to is Evo.co.UK which is a very credible site and popular magazine. It's possible it isn't true, but usually writers from popular websites and magazines won't make articles based of a un-credible source. Also, horsepower freaks is not a clickbait site, its a site very much like Andy's Autosport. Consider checking facts before claiming something isn't true.

Source: http://www.evo.co.uk/ford/mustang/15060/ford-shelby-gt350r-mustang-thrashes-camaro-z28-s-ring-laptime

21 - 40 of 55 Posts