TCCoA Forums banner

Q: What is the worst-case scenario event you think will happen in 2020?

• 1. Contested election (meaning Trump or Biden don't concede the election by Nov 10th)

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • 2. Trump disputes the validity of the election and causes civil unrest

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • 3. The pandemic starts overwhelming our medical system

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • 4. The stock market crashes (defined at S&P dropping below the March 2020 dip)

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • 5. Alien Invasion

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • 6. We go to war with China/Iran/etc (defined as declaration of war or troop invasion)

• 7. We get invaded

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 8. Civil war in the US (defined as some organized body attacking the govt)

• 9. Militia on Militia violence (active shooting between organized non-govt combatants)

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • 10. Big Rock hits Earth (Tunguska event - 100meters - or bigger)

• 11. The Rapture (mass group of people disappear unrelated to aliens)

• 12. Messiah declaration gets attention of >1% of population (Jesus or other, not aliens)

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • 13. Biden disputes the validity of the election and causes civil unrest

• 14. Coronavirus evolves like the flu -- significantly setting back vaccination development efforts

• Another REGIONAL natural disaster (hurricane, earthquake, tornado swarm, etc)

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • 16. One of the current presidential candidates steps down/dies before the election

• 17. Post Nov, our President elect dies.

• 18. Beheadings (of people not statues) by domestic terrorists (any flavor).

• 19. Terrorist attack before Jan 20th

• 20. Another country taking advantage of US being distracted with power xfer (ex: Crimean invasion)

421 - 440 of 458 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,178 Posts
Speaking of Facebook... Well, his days of Tweeting what ever vitriol he pleases are at least numbered. Almost as nice as the debate mute button. :censored:

President Donald Trump’s social media accounts could face even greater enforcement when he leaves office, Dorsey and Zuckerberg both said.

Facebook and Twitter have policies that permit elected officials and world leaders, respectively, to make claims on their platforms that would otherwise violate the companies’ policies. But once Trump leaves office, he would no longer be eligible for that special treatment.

“If an account is not a world leader anymore, that particular policy goes away,” Dorsey said.

“By and large, the vast majority of our policies have no newsworthiness or political exception,” Zuckerberg said. “If the president is spreading hate speech or promoting violence … those will receive the same treatment as anyone else saying those things, and that will continue to be the case.”

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #422
I believe Twitter might suspend trump but i will believe it when I see it when it comes to FB. Trump means eyeballs/engagement which directly translates into money for Mark. They will let him spew whatever garbage he wants because it keeps people engaged.

This guy reposts data from FB's own API crowd tangle:

I had to look up the Dan Bongino guy. He's a former secret service agent turned conspiracy theorist on infowars and now is a commentator on Fox.
People like him keep folks engaged.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
18,074 Posts
I think that is likely the case with both of platforms, he’s been a huge publicity cow for Twitter, hell Trump is most likely Twitters biggest success story. If either one suspends him I believe it will be a fall on their sword moment (which 🤞), but big business doesn’t tend to be so noble.

I mean I held off on banning people who should have been from TCCoA just for our entertainment purposes lol

·
Super Moderator
13,178 Posts
What have we become?

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #425
I think that is likely the case with both of platforms, he’s been a huge publicity cow for Twitter, hell Trump is most likely Twitters biggest success story. If either one suspends him I believe it will be a fall on their sword moment (which 🤞), but big business doesn’t tend to be so noble.

I mean I held off on banning people who should have been from TCCoA just for our entertainment purposes lol
Twitter has shown, much to Trump's consternation, some of a willingness to censure the president when he lies. Or at least, to point out his worst BS.
I'd say that Zuckerberg's got estates to pay for (like the one in Tahoe and the enormous ranch in Kauai, Hawaii) but these two properties @ $159M total cost him as a portion of their net worth LESS than what the average american would spend to buy a PS5/XBOX.

Crazy.

·
Super Moderator
13,178 Posts
Well, this certainly isn't going to help the US at all. May be a parting gift to Vlad or just another I lost and I'm really upset temper tantrum?

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #428
It will be interesting to see how much burrowing (aka conversion of political appointees to career staff jobs) is going to take place in the next 2 months.

Once these former political appointees are in place as career employees, you can't just fire them with the next administration (unlike appointees) without due cause -- even if they were only given the staff jobs not because of qualifications BUT because of political connections. I'd rather he focus on pure grifting (which can be prosecuted after the fact) but this screwing with the career civil service could really mess with us for potentially decades.

Example: when they were pushing for the big tax cuts pre-pandemic, they dictated to the budget analysts what the answer was to be and they were forced to justify the growth required to "pay for" the cuts. When they simply couldn't cook the numbers sufficiently, they fired folks and kept hounding the number crunchers.

·
Super Moderator
13,178 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,728 Posts
Not like their flipping the result in any of those states will change the outcome - it would need to be all of them to make a difference. I think at this point they're grasping at straws, hoping one of the states will cave under the pressure to their legal teams' bullying so they can claim "I told you so!".

The whole thing is disgusting. They're undermining the trust the public has collectively had in the democratic process since it began in the 18th century. That's a big deal.

Reactions: Trunk Monkey

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #432
The whole thing is disgusting. They're undermining the trust the public has collectively had in the democratic process since it began in the 18th century. That's a big deal.
This is what bugs me the most.
1) I get the nature of the scorpion. Trump does retail grifting best and he's getting people to give him money. Hopefully, eventually, they will realize they were taken for a ride but this may take years. I get why he's trying to discredit our democracy -- it gives him an excuse to ask for money... which is funny, from a guy who has long stated that he doesn't need it.

2) What I don't get is the complicity of the GOP folks. All of them. Not just the leadership but the rank and file who are cowed by Mitch and Lindsay. They KNOW Trump's dangerous but they've sold themselves on letting him do what he wants while people are dying and other impending issues are evident because they feel its the only way they can stay in power. Discrediting the democratic process, to them, is how they can win.

I agree. It IS a big deal.

---
Here's another suspicious action that came about recently.
The US DoJ, known for its complete apolitical stance (/s), decided to drop prosecution against a former Mexican (country, not ethnicity) defense official.

The official, Gen. Salvador Cienfuegos Zepeda, had been Mexico’s defense minister from 2012 to 2018 and was accused of taking bribes in exchange for protecting cartel leaders. But Mr. Barr and Mexico’s attorney general, Alejandro Gertz Manero, stopped short in a statement of promising any charges in Mexico, and the move raised questions about why the Justice Department would hand over the matter to a country with a shoddy record of investigating high-profile cases tied to organized crime.

Whether or not we need to be policing the world is not the question here; a biggest question which should be asked is if the USGOV decided to take actions against the narco-state developing south of our borders, WHY would they take such an abrupt turn?

This just smells. I hope some journalist (vs a historian 100 years from now) is able to find the real info... this just reeks of shadiness.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
CDs, get off Facebook. The longer it takes people open their eyes and realize the partisan issues in this country are being exacerbated and exaggerated by their Twitter and Facebook and all other big corporate social media feeds for THEIR gain, the worse this pendulum will keep swinging. Am I the only one who noticed in how in about the time these sites emerged to now people went from having a distain for their president’s actions into straight up “not my president!”?
On this, I wholeheartedly agree with Matt. FB is not a news/information source. It's pretty toxic with the only value being that you stay engaged. FB should be where you keep the grandparents/relatives entertained with pics of the kids and cat videos.
Look at what I started! It was just a question on how much fraud there actually was, if any. I'm skeptical that this - like any other election - was fraud free, but my question was meaning to be on the extent of fraud. Election systems not being compromised, I agree with that. My questioning is more on the number of ballots that were changed by someone else who didn't agree with the voter's choice. I will say that any fraud that did occur isn't going to change the outcome of the election.

As for getting off FB, it's one of my primary forms of entertainment, followed by forums (mainly TCCOA :) ), and mobile games. My time on FB is primarily that of finding / reposting memes, auto racing, and family. I try my best not to share / re-share political stuff unless it's a funny meme. Though, I will admit that sometimes I do.

There is one person in this thread that is on my FB friends list, if they wish to speak up, they can confirm this, lol.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
My questioning is more on the number of ballots that were changed by someone else who didn't agree with the voter's choice.
LOL .. None.

I remember one day in the 80's I was at my cousins house, he lives across the street from my buddy ( with the Cobra ) .. Tony the Tiger full on legit from the cereal box shows up at his house with a Tony the Tiger 21 speed bicycle. He won the bike from the grocery store behind their house - fill out a form and put it in the box for a chance to win a Tony the Tiger bicycle. I thought it was pure luck until he told me he took the entire entry form pad and filled out every single entry form and stuffed them all into the box. 😂

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Question:

If a household has a US citizen (eligible voter) and a US green card holder (not eligible to vote), but the green card holder fills out and sends the ballot on behalf of the US citizen with the citizen providing no further input other than required signature(s) for mailing / dropping off the ballot, would you guys consider that voter fraud?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #437
Question:

If a household has a US citizen (eligible voter) and a US green card holder (not eligible to vote), but the green card holder fills out and sends the ballot on behalf of the US citizen with the citizen providing no further input other than required signature(s) for mailing / dropping off the ballot, would you guys consider that voter fraud?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
I'm sure you are 'asking for a friend' but nowhere in the documentation does it say that the person returning the ballot has to be a citizen. Them touching your ballot isn't going to spoil it.

The only time that would be in question is if you didn't know who returned your ballot. This is why the GOP unofficial "official' vote boxes were so sketchy.

You can check the status of your ballot statewide here. I checked SF's website and they offered much more detail, Riverside county might have the same.

This is the kind of status I wish ALL counties in the US would compile for their users; this might put more faith in the system.
1. You are registered to vote as a permanent vote-by-mail voter and will be mailed a ballot for the November 3 election. The Department begins mailing ballots approximately one month before Election Day. On 09-18-2020, your ballot was processed.
2. On 09-20-2020, your ballot cards were printed.
3. On 09-22-2020, your ballot cards and voting instructions were placed into an envelope for mailing.

Your ballot packet is being delivered to a post office.
4. On 10-02-2020, your ballot packet was delivered to a post office.
Please allow the postal service 3-5 business days to deliver your ballot.
5. On 10-13-2020, we received your ballot.
6. On 10-13-2020, the signature on your ballot envelope was reviewed.

Your ballot was accepted and will be counted. Download your “I Voted” e-sticker now!
7. On 10-13-2020, your ballot envelope was readied for opening.
8. On 10-14-2020, your ballot was removed from its envelope so that your votes can be counted.
9. On 10-16-2020, your ballot for the November 3 election was counted!

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
In my scenario above, the green card holder completely filled out the ballot on the citizen's behalf without the citizen having any input on who / what they wanted to vote for / vote against. In my scenario above, the only input the citizen had on the voting process was providing signatures where appropriate.

Would you - or anyone else here - consider this scenario voter fraud?

And yes, I'm "asking for a friend".

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #439
In my scenario above, the green card holder completely filled out the ballot on the citizen's behalf without the citizen having any input on who / what they wanted to vote for / vote against. In my scenario above, the only input the citizen had on the voting process was providing signatures where appropriate.

Would you - or anyone else here - consider this scenario voter fraud?

And yes, I'm "asking for a friend".
I would say that that citizen is shirking their civic duty by delegating their voting right to someone else.. anyone else. That person could listen to whoever they want but the final decision as to what box need to be checked should be made by the citizen.

If the non-citizen was instead a religious leader who demanded the votes of their entire flock, even if that flock would do whatever that cult leader said we would all agree that this would be fraud.

This is the same thing on a smaller scale.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
18,074 Posts
IMO If the voter gave their consent to their filling out, which they presumably did if they signed it, no, it’s still technically their vote. I mean if your wife filled out your ballet for you because you didn’t feel like it, and you signed the form, do you think that’s fraud that she in effect got two votes?

The first time I ever voted all I was informed about was president and senators, and I filled out the rest of the ballot like a scantron test I didn’t study for. I’d rather somebody I saw eye to eye with helped me on those rather than me just making shapes.

421 - 440 of 458 Posts