TCCoA Forums banner

Q: What is the worst-case scenario event you think will happen in 2020?

• 1. Contested election (meaning Trump or Biden don't concede the election by Nov 10th)

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • 2. Trump disputes the validity of the election and causes civil unrest

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • 3. The pandemic starts overwhelming our medical system

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • 4. The stock market crashes (defined at S&P dropping below the March 2020 dip)

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • 5. Alien Invasion

• 6. We go to war with China/Iran/etc (defined as declaration of war or troop invasion)

• 7. We get invaded

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 8. Civil war in the US (defined as some organized body attacking the govt)

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • 9. Militia on Militia violence (active shooting between organized non-govt combatants)

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • 10. Big Rock hits Earth (Tunguska event - 100meters - or bigger)

• 11. The Rapture (mass group of people disappear unrelated to aliens)

• 12. Messiah declaration gets attention of >1% of population (Jesus or other, not aliens)

• 13. Biden disputes the validity of the election and causes civil unrest

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • 14. Coronavirus evolves like the flu -- significantly setting back vaccination development efforts

• Another REGIONAL natural disaster (hurricane, earthquake, tornado swarm, etc)

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

Registered
Yeah .. what Gunn said. ;)

We are in a recession right now, but its slowed down with the government stimulus. All of this rent not being payed now is still expected to be payed back when things turn around. Just like the stocks future values .. a company like apple has more cash to ride this out longer so its more stable and people are willing to leave their money in longer. Tesla is volatile because they are not making actual profits yet - the money they are getting is being used to build new factories for trucks people say they want and might be able to afford in the future. That is why the current uncertainty has a bigger impact on the prices.

Registered
Discussion Starter #43
Aliens might be closer than expected. Option 5 is looking up

Super Moderator
Reminds me of this story that they were joking about on the radio this morning. No joke, apparently Uranus is leaking gas. Some hemorrhoids ... I mean plasmoids have been discovered.

Reactions: Zep5.0

Registered
Discussion Starter #46
With RBG passing and this crap this weekend, I'm worried that things are going to get UGLY this fall. Number 9 is looking pretty good.
See article on voter intimidation starting in Virginia.

If anyone (left/right/center) start walking around with ARs, oh man.
Only 11 states explicitly prohibit guns in polling places. WTF.
Eleven states鈥擜rizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio, South Carolina and Texas鈥攖he District of Columbia and Puerto Rico explicitly prohibit guns and other weapons in polling places.

I might not understand/like your vote for Trump but I will support your right to do so. Preventing others from voting/disenfranchising voters is completely anathema to democracy. If you want to live in an authoritarian or racially segregated state, at least be honest about it. This is why I LOVE white power tattoos (esp on the face). Thanks buddy. I know where you stand.

Super Moderator
Guns/weapons are also prohibited at most places that serve as polling places, i.e. libraries, schools, government buildings, etc. so a second ban at "polling places" would be redundant to the first ban. But yeah, other than that WTF? They're not also banned at polling places except in 11 states?

Registered
Discussion Starter #48
Guns/weapons are also prohibited at most places that serve as polling places, i.e. libraries, schools, government buildings, etc. so a second ban at "polling places" would be redundant to the first ban. But yeah, other than that WTF? They're not also banned at polling places except in 11 states?
Well, except open carry. See Michigan and their state capitol drama.

In PA and SC, you can walk straight into the polling booth with a rifle. I dare you to do so if you are brown with a long shaggy beard though.

Super Moderator
True. Welcome to Nazi Germany circa 1932.

If you haven't read Fascism by Medeline Albright. I highly recommend it. The parallels to today and what passes for the republican party are truly frightening.

Reactions: CDsDontBurn

Super Moderator
Reactions: S4gunn

Registered
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
This is why its important that EVERYONE vote. Even if you are pro-GOP, your vote should be heard. Someone else picking for you is absolutely unAmerican.

If we can make it through Jan with a peaceful transfer in power, this is just more stuff on a long list of things that were accepted customs that NOW need to be written into law (and enforced).

If you look at the poll, #9 is STILL beating #1 but what is surprising are the votes for #8.

---
TM's article got me into reading more depressing news/history
I had no idea that in 1981, the RNC had hired off-duty cops armed and wearing National Ballot Security Task Force armbands, patrolled majority minority districts to check IDs and intimidate voters. A consent decree to stop these shennanigans was signed and modified several times - the last time in 1990. The latest consent decree was allowed to expire in 2018 so they are back to hiring 50K "volunteers" to police polling places in 2020 again in 15 key states to monitor polling places and challenge ballots and voters deemed suspicious.
1) Since 1945, armbands haven't been a good look... not even on Michael Jackson.
2) Who wants to bet that in the states where its legal to do so, these "volunteers" will be running around with AR15s?

Even if it's legal, how is that "right"?

Super Moderator
This is why its important that EVERYONE vote. Even if you are pro-GOP, your vote should be heard. Someone else picking for you is absolutely unAmerican.
Unless you live in a swing state, your vote is meaningless. No matter what you or I vote, CA and NJ are going to go for Biden. If you vote for Biden, you can think that means your vote counted, but without your vote, and even without the votes of everyone you and I know combined, CA and NJ are still going to go for Biden. The same applies in the firmly red states for Trump. To me, if you live in a state that always goes one way or the other, I consider it irresponsible to vote for either major party. No matter which side wins, it will be more wars, more oppression, more taxes, more regulations, and generally making life more and more difficult for all the people. If you live in a state that the outcome is known, vote for a 3rd party. Maybe if all the people who don't usually vote because they know the system is rigged against them instead came out and voted for various 3rd parties, then maybe a 3rd party would actually stand a chance of winning, and we could break the power stranglehold that Republicrats and Democans have held over this country for the last 150+ years.

Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed

If we can make it through Jan with a peaceful transfer in power, this is just more stuff on a long list of things that were accepted customs that NOW need to be written into law (and enforced).

If you look at the poll, #9 is STILL beating #1 but what is surprising are the votes for #8.

---
TM's article got me into reading more depressing news/history
I had no idea that in 1981, the RNC had hired off-duty cops armed and wearing National Ballot Security Task Force armbands, patrolled majority minority districts to check IDs and intimidate voters. A consent decree to stop these shennanigans was signed and modified several times - the last time in 1990. The latest consent decree was allowed to expire in 2018 so they are back to hiring 50K "volunteers" to police polling places in 2020 again in 15 key states to monitor polling places and challenge ballots and voters deemed suspicious.
1) Since 1945, armbands haven't been a good look... not even on Michael Jackson.
2) Who wants to bet that in the states where its legal to do so, these "volunteers" will be running around with AR15s?

Even if it's legal, how is that "right"?

Re #8. From my perspective we have been in what can be described a 鈥渃ivil Cold War鈥 for the last several years, there are key issues both political parties and followers will not bend on, or stop pushing for, and it鈥檚 become a matter of minor aggressions against the 鈥渆nemy鈥 depending on your POV.

I voted both #8 and #9 as sort of one element because I think the militia groups will treat it as a civil war, declared or not. Which is frankly more frightening. War has greatly evolved since the 1860s, and we haven鈥檛 seen a war between first world nations since 1945, let alone within one to know what it鈥檒l really be like. Domestic terror might be the closest analog to what it could be like.

But thee things stop me from thinking it鈥檒l escalate to full blown declared violent civil war, A. There are no mason-dixon line borders dividing ideologies, where territory can be fought for, B. I don鈥檛 see the government itself splitting off with their own armies, since I believe they are all in cahoots with each other when the cameras are off anyway, and value the paycheck and perks more than any intrinsic beliefs they have. C. For as big a game people talk on the internet, very few are loony enough to actually engage in battle on the streets, even the guy with an armory of a collection of AR15s in his McMansion basement.

Unless you live in a swing state, your vote is meaningless. No matter what you or I vote, CA and NJ are going to go for Biden. If you vote for Biden, you can think that means your vote counted, but without your vote, and even without the votes of everyone you and I know combined, CA and NJ are still going to go for Biden. The same applies in the firmly red states for Trump. To me, if you live in a state that always goes one way or the other, I consider it irresponsible to vote for either major party. No matter which side wins, it will be more wars, more oppression, more taxes, more regulations, and generally making life more and more difficult for all the people. If you live in a state that the outcome is known, vote for a 3rd party. Maybe if all the people who don't usually vote because they know the system is rigged against them instead came out and voted for various 3rd parties, then maybe a 3rd party would actually stand a chance of winning, and we could break the power stranglehold that Republicrats and Democans have held over this country for the last 150+ years.
When it comes to President I agree, local elections I vote for whoever is likely to get in that aligns with my beliefs/interests. I鈥檝e wavered D to R and back in those, to hopefully get an attainable average. Illinois is screwed up to all hell of course, but there鈥檚 not been much third party options on the ballets since I鈥檝e voted.

My pie in the sky utopian fantasy to fix politics would be to stop considering 50.0000001% a majority win. That鈥檚 a fail in school terms, and if 49.9999999% are pissed off about something, you鈥檙e going to have a dysfunctional society. Make everything need a 75% to pass and you鈥檒l have a lot more people on the same page, a lot less dogmatic party lines and realistic outlooks on society.

Registered
Discussion Starter #57
Re #8. From my perspective we have been in what can be described a 鈥渃ivil Cold War鈥 for the last several years, there are key issues both political parties and followers will not bend on, or stop pushing for, and it鈥檚 become a matter of minor aggressions against the 鈥渆nemy鈥 depending on your POV.

I voted both #8 and #9 as sort of one element because I think the militia groups will treat it as a civil war, declared or not. Which is frankly more frightening. War has greatly evolved since the 1860s, and we haven鈥檛 seen a war between first world nations since 1945, let alone within one to know what it鈥檒l really be like. Domestic terror might be the closest analog to what it could be like.

But thee things stop me from thinking it鈥檒l escalate to full blown declared violent civil war, A. There are no mason-dixon line borders dividing ideologies, where territory can be fought for, B. I don鈥檛 see the government itself splitting off with their own armies, since I believe they are all in cahoots with each other when the cameras are off anyway, and value the paycheck and perks more than any intrinsic beliefs they have. C. For as big a game people talk on the internet, very few are loony enough to actually engage in battle on the streets, even the guy with an armory of a collection of AR15s in his McMansion basement.

When it comes to President I agree, local elections I vote for whoever is likely to get in that aligns with my beliefs/interests. I鈥檝e wavered D to R and back in those, to hopefully get an attainable average. Illinois is screwed up to all hell of course, but there鈥檚 not been much third party options on the ballets since I鈥檝e voted.

My pie in the sky utopian fantasy to fix politics would be to stop considering 50.0000001% a majority win. That鈥檚 a fail in school terms, and if 49.9999999% are pissed off about something, you鈥檙e going to have a dysfunctional society. Make everything need a 75% to pass and you鈥檒l have a lot more people on the same page, a lot less dogmatic party lines and realistic outlooks on society.
Matt:
"One person's terrorist is another one's freedom fighter." Even without clear boundary lines, look at how people cross into "enemy territory" and start ****.
It was a terrible book but one interesting facet of "Fall; or, Dodge in Hell" by Neil Stephenson envisions a future where urban areas are similar to what we have today but the central, rural parts of the country are no-man's lands (Americastan) where the federal government can't impose the rule of law.

I'm afraid we will see more blood spilled if this escalation of squad level battles continues. If the GOP thinks its a good idea to send "monitors" to ask questions of people who they deem as suspicious near polling places without authority from anything other than their AR15 (and let's be honest, it's not going to be the nordic immigrant who will be questioned), there will be leftwing guys who object. As Kenosha clearly showed, some will use their skateboards and others will whip out their glocks/more. If this truly comes to pass, I hope they hang the GOP folks who sent these volunteers out.

You say that people aren't looney enough to engage in street battles but clearly, we've seen nuts from both sides. There have been folks who have already taken the fight to cops (Micah Xavier Johnson - Dallas 2016) and then you see the guys who wanted to start a rahowa by shooting the federal security guards in Oakland and hoping to pin it on the antifa/lefties protesting nearby (Two Charged in Murder of Oakland Federal Officer During Protests). IMO, the solution won't be to ban guns; that's simply not practical/possible. However, getting them far away from voting polls is a clear an obvious way to deescalate things.

It's one thing to talk **** on the internet but look at how many folks took the time to get out their tacticool toys and drive around in various "protests". I think there are more people who want an excuse to shoot others out there than I ever imagined even 6 months ago. It's not just some bad cops/authority figures. You think that the couple in St Louis wanted to protect their property? If so, they would have stayed back and only gotten aggressive when their actual house was violated. Instead, they thought it was a great idea to try and brandish them on their front lawn? To what end? I'm sure they would have been happy to shoot someone taking a swing at them.

PS. Your idea of 75% to pass something is a good one to build consensus. It's up their with ranked choice voting IMO.

Super Moderator
I know there are numerous examples of loons, but most are isolated examples of lone wolfs, even within these riots, and the question is are these loons with passion and motive or opportunity, and being loons are they going to band together into an organized militia that can put up a fight against another militia(military)? That I do not believe is probable, and the numbers can鈥檛 be that great, look at the loons who tried to storm Area 51 last year for an idea on how they organize.

It was a terrible book but one interesting facet of "Fall; or, Dodge in Hell" by Neil Stephenson envisions a future where urban areas are similar to what we have today but the central, rural parts of the country are no-man's lands (Americastan) where the federal government can't impose the rule of law.
That was the future in Cherry 3000 lol

Hell yeah! 馃榿

Registered
Discussion Starter #59
Loons banding together

I'm not gonna lie: Hugo Boss was a pretty superb uniform designer but that doesn't make me willing to jump on their bandwagon.

Super Moderator
There鈥檚 like 12 of them lol

Honestly to me the Nazi threat seems to me to be akin to the satanic panic, just a handful of crazy edgelords on the fringes attaching themselves to something everybody knows is bad. If you see a gathering of them, just drive through them so they cowardly jump into a nearby creek 馃槑

41 - 60 of 77 Posts