TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read a lot of older info on brakes, so please bear with me. I know this has been asked, but I did not see recently.

What is the most current upgrade recommendation for the MN12?
Is the Lisman Bracket still the best way and where can I buy them?

My car has Stop Tech P26 Front calipers, stock rear calipers on it with the matching P26 rotors.
The rotors remain drilled 5 x 4.25, and 5 x 4.5

I just put on new 5 X 4.5 Hubs all around Currently 18 x 9 rear wheel, 17 x 8 front wheel

The upgraded front calipers are okay, but I think we need better front brakes

I would like to go to 13" Front rotors and better calipers

I would like to go to 11.65" Rear rotors and better calipers

·
Super Moderator
97 Thunderbird 4.6, 98 Mark VIII LSC
11,299 Posts
Cobra/Bullitt brakes are always close to the top of the list. Pricing and availability vs. performance is about as good as it gets, IMO.

Not sure about better rear caliper options - there were (are) factory caliper relocation brackets to allow using larger rotors.

·
The Parts Guy
8,021 Posts
If you're limited to a 17" front wheel, then the best front setup you'll be able to run is the 4-piston Brembo with a 13" rotor. Out back the 11.65" rotor with Dalke's relocation bracket is the "go-to".

These are old photos, but you get the idea:

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not limited to a 17" front wheel, but those appear sufficient to me.
I assume a larger wheel allows the 15" rotors to be mounted.

Is there a go to vendor for the 4 piston calipers?
I am understanding the SN95 is not an upgrade front or rear over the mn12 setup.
So the Cobra or Bullit front caliper setup (2 pbr or 4 brembo) and the matching rotor is the ticket?
And in back, the MN12 Caliper (now 27 years old) and the bracket for the larger rotor is okay?
Thanks for your patience, I almost ordered a set forgetting I had done the P26 upgrade from Summit.
I am not in terrible shape with fresh FN10 parts in stock as well, just a little disorganized.

·
Administrator
14,547 Posts
Discbrakesrus supports the Tbirds and they were a preferred vendor here at one time. They have the two piston PBR Cobra calipers. I just ordered a fresh set of front rotors from them. See the link below for details.

Not sure about the 4 piston Brembos. Kinda curious about that myself.

Rod: Which model Bremos are those and where did you get them?

·
Registered
2,964 Posts

·
The Parts Guy
8,021 Posts

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 red
3,787 Posts
I bought my calipers from RockAuto. I posted info about the swap here: Post your brake setup
I bought the same Brembo calipers from Amazon for about $120 each. I think that is a great price for brand new Brembo calipers. We haven't installed them yet. But we are doing 2 cars at once.

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 red
3,787 Posts
Theres already a new swap using S550 brembos with gt500 14in rotors.
I've seen that one. Just that the calipers to my knowledge aren't quite as affordable at the ATS brembo setup. But hey, at least we have high quality options!

·
The Parts Guy
8,021 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So, the 97 Mark FN10is different than the 95 cougar XR7 MN12, I expected that.
One thing surprised me...the front spindles seem larger. The calipers appear the same, the front rotors are 294mm, 11.6".
The rear seems the same, 258mm as the MN12.

Correct me If I am wrong, the FN10 brake rotor is larger than the SN95?
And:
The mn12/fn10 rear has larger pad surface than sn95?

I am thinking of replacing the mn12 knuckles and cv1/2 shafts, installing the FTBR hubs and adding an 11.5" rear rotor with the fn10 calipers...do I still require the caliper brackets? (Will probably also swap to fn10 LCAs)

In front, I am thinking to replace the mn12 spindles with the fn10, but have not done this before. I plan to run the fn10 front calipers on the stock 11.6 size rotors (sn95 bolt circle hubs)

My next brake upgrade would be pbrs with 13"rotors up front I think.
And:
What is the next upgrade from fn10 rear calipers with 11.5 rotors?

·
The Parts Guy
8,021 Posts
The FN10 and '93-'97 MN12 front spindles are the same. The FN10 front rotors match the '96-'97 Sport offering.

My recommendation is to run a 13" front and 11.65" rear rotor from a Cobra. You'll need caliper relocation brackets for the rear.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The FN10 and '93-'97 MN12 front spindles are the same. The FN10 front rotors match the '96-'97 Sport offering.

My recommendation is to run a 13" front and 11.65" rear rotor from a Cobra. You'll need caliper relocation brackets for the rear.
Okay, thanks for confirming. I may not switch spindles, the Cougar got new bearings, hubs, and control arms last summer. I will just keep the fn10 spindle assemblies as spares.

I am short on the price for pbrs with all the other expenses, and will settle for the fn10/sport caliper and 11.6" front rotor off the fn10.
Next stop up front is 13"Cobra dual piston.

We have had some axle issues. The new rear end, converter and j-mod took a toll on the originals with 160k and northern New England weather. The fn10 rear brakes are brand new, the axles are sealed and the irs knuckles are very clean. The lines visible appear almost new. My plan is to pop the axles off still attached to the knuckle, and install into the Mercury. Then, LCAs and finally press the hubs in. I will use the fn10 caliper and the bracket to accept the 11.6 Cobra rotor.

Refurb cv axles are only 70.00 at Oreillys, 100 for new product. There is no way we make enough power to break a reasonably young shaft, I think ours suffered from 27 winters and abuse.

I feel pretty confident that the fn10 assemblies will be the easiest way, the condition is really very good. I am going to take everything I can within reason. I am psyched to see that the fuel lines and the filter cage are all like new, but the rail is showing rust.

In am grabbing the IRS frame and all, maybe the k member, strut rods, rack, sway bars and arms.

Sure seems like a lot for a car we got only to have the engine.

I am pretty happy we got our Teksid, it sure is a much finer example of efficient design than our cast iron npi 2 valve engine. It really will make me happy to have it installed. I drove the car yesterday, and it is fun. Having another 100 horses (almost 50 percent) and losing 100 pounds is to me an amazing upgrade.

I suppose you could put in a Turbo 4 cylinder ecoboost and have the same power gain and even more weight reduction, room under the hood, a 6 speed and double the fuel mileage. I am sure Ford has a power pack or something by now. After we get tired of the Teksid motor, maybe we will retire the car with an ecoboost.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
My upcoming build for my 96 will be using the sport calipers and rotors as well, mainly just so I have no excuses to not continue with the build. My end goal is the ATS brembos but I cant swing them yet, and I have the sport assemblies around, so Im going to use them.

I would recommend getting really good pads though that are fade resistant. Thats the biggest problem with the sport stuff: they get really hot. Im going to use EBC yellow pads and will be adding air cooling ducts.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discbrakesrus supports the Tbirds and they were a preferred vendor here at one time. They have the two piston PBR Cobra calipers. I just ordered a fresh set of front rotors from them. See the link below for details.
I'm looking at that page from your link right now, are all those calipers at the top of the page PBR Cobra calipers? I was thinking of getting the ones powder coated gloss black with the T-Bird logo in white lettering (3rd from the top) but they look different from the yellow (or gold) powder coated option (1st from the top). Same price, though, and same description, so I'm confused. Pictures of PBR Cobra calipers online seem to match the yellow (or gold) version. If so, what are those black ones, are they the non-Cobra PBR calipers?

XR7 Dave has them over at SCCoA.

Joe
I just contacted him for a set of those brackets. Reading forum posts about them on SCCoA it seems that there might be an issue with getting the parking brake cable to work with the relocated Thunderbird calipers. Has anyone here run into that problem with those relocation brackets? It seems that it depends on the thickness of the brake pads (EBC Yellowstuff pads were mentioned as being a problem) but the solution requires shaving down a bolt. Other people said they had no issues. Would the Hawk pads from discbrakesrus be considered stock thickness? KVR?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts