TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The sticker on the passenger-side door frame lists the stock tire size for 15 inch wheels as either 205/70R15 or 215/70R15. Does anyone know why?

·
Registered
180 Posts
the 205's were std. equip. the bigger 215's came with some extra cost option packages.
here is a pic of my window sticker. it lists both 205 & 215 sizes, with the 215 being the "upgrade"
cougar sticker

i think that is the reason.

frank

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
D'oh! I didn't even think to check the sticker. Thanks!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I need new tires, but since I'm going to at least do that I'm thinking about getting 17 x 8 Cobra wheels from Dan Newman. The hold up for me is deciding whether it's a good idea in terms of throwing the speedometer/odometer off a little. I've checked the tire calculator and all options are off somewhat. Pretty much I've narrowed it down to two possibilities: BFG g-Force KDWS in 255/50-17 or Continental ContiPremierContacts in 235/55-17. The BFG has a 27" diameter and is .7% too slow opposed the Continentals at 27.2" and 1.2% too slow. Does that much of a difference really matter? Also, my logic at this point is to buy a tire that is a little bigger than the stock 26.9 because the tire will get closer to that size at it wears. Does that sound reasonable?

And if anyone has pictures of their Tbird or Cougar with tires these sizes on it, please let me know. I'd like to see how they look.

Thanks!

·
Registered
169 Posts
think about it this way, when your speedo says 100mph you are actually traveling 100.7mph. it'll be off by even less than that at lower speeds. i doubt you'll notice.

i've got pics of my car with 255/45/17 Kuhmo's on 17x9 Cobra R's. let me know if you want them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts