TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1995 4.6 TBird only has 84,000 miles but I am noticing that it's eating up the front tires on the inside. These are smaller size tires than stock. 225/60R15H Fuzion tires. I am getting ready to replace the front struts with Quick Struts that will replace the springs that I suspect might be sagging and causing this problem.
My question is, will these struts come out without knocking any ball joints loose? All the ball joints are new but I don't have enough knowledge to feel comfortable with tearing those parts off. Any help here??? Thanks

·
Administrator
8,220 Posts
The only problem you "might" run into is removing the bolt where the shock/spring assembly bolts to the lower control arm. That bolt may have rusted up in the sleeve of the control arm, so it might be a good idea to soak it with penetrant for a few days before hand. After that it's just the 3 nuts on top of the assembly that hold the strut mount to the body.

Have you checked out the rest of the suspension? It might be more than shocks/springs that are eating up your tires.

Joe

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Tires wearing on the inside is likely alignment, too much positive camber. And yes, the LCA will need disconnected to remove the spring/shock assembly.

I have 220k on my 95 T-Bird's springs, they don't sag. Are you using smaller tires in the front only?

Al

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have monroe quickstruts up front and moog cargo coils in the rear with sensa-trac shocks, the car rides smooth. Take the car to sears and have them align it, you can have them also set the rear up to reduce understeer. Sears did mine without me asking and the car handles better after it, you can feel the rear steering a little bit afterwards, make the car a lot of fun.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no using the same size all the way around. It lowers it a bit and lowers the rear gear ratio. Not to mention cheaper.... Thanks for the help. I found a garage I trust that made me a deal if I get the quick struts. So I'm gonna put in harder sway bar bushings in the front. New Monroe Quick struts. New rotors, New ceramic brake pads. Had those in my last Tbird and was happy with them. Thanks for everyone's help

1 - 7 of 7 Posts