TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting in on a group purchase over at v6power.net for custom ground cams from RGR and he emailed me a "cam form" where you fill out info and plans for your car and he "prescribes" a cam grind. Well he told me the best grind for a vorteched car with 1.8 rockers and big valve ported heads would be 215/220. I'm thinking that an enormous emount of lift (although I think the more the better) but my worries are that I could have a piston/valve collision with that amount of lift. He said he was going to find/make springs to suit that amount of lift.

If I ever stroked the block to 4.2 would they collide?

-Thomas

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
when you stroke a motor, doesnt the the TDC stay the same and the pistons just travels down in the block further? so then if the valve isnt hitting the piston to being with, it shouldnt when you stroke it.... can someone verify that? -greg

·
8,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well there's compression ratios, flat and dished pistons that all change for far the piston is from the valves. Anyways, does anyone know the answer to my question? Need to know before I buy one and the GP is right now at a good price.
-Thomas

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Thomas said:
well there's compression ratios, flat and dished pistons that all change for far the piston is from the valves. Anyways, does anyone know the answer to my question? Need to know before I buy one and the GP is right now at a good price.
-Thomas
you should be able to reuse your pistons that you have, and besides, if youre running boost, you dont exactly want to up compression without building up the bottom end quite a bit... -greg

·
8,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The cam won't be going in until I get ported heads and a vortech. that grind is waaay too much for an NA engine with stock heads. I won't go past 8psi until I put in a 4.2 with forged internals. Which is why I want to know if that cam will work with a 4.2 as well as a 3.8.
-Thomas

·
8,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anybody? Please?
-Thomas

·
Registered
735 Posts
i went with teh 207/215 cam with the 1.8rrs He told me back then he didnt think the springs could handle much more lift than that. remember those 1.8s are lift multipliers. there's a thread here somewhere on the math. i was greatly satisfied with my cam/rr packgage and the lope :eek:)

when we put em on, we could only get a cpl threads even after backing the adjusting nut all the way back. i got the adj kind.

·
8,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I think RGR said they were going to try and find springs that will work, he said they had a new conical design spring coming out. And if it wasn't enough he'd make custom ones lol.
-Thomas

·
Registered
710 Posts
Thomas, I have the 216/225 cam in mine and the PnP heads had Comp Cams high lift valve springs on them and I never had any problem with it... Remember Thomas, my heads and cam are up for sale...

·
8,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
216/225 would be way more than any aftermarket springs could handle with my 1.8 rockers or else I might jump on it. And as for the heads, I need something more around stage 5 for the amount of power I'm hoping to get. I only know of 2 places that makes the kind of heads I'm wanting.
-Thomas

·
Registered
710 Posts
wait, you're saying that 216/225 is way more than <i>aftermarket</i> springs can handle??? what the hell do you think they make AFTERmarket springs FOR! lol Good luck on the heads and everything man, I hope you have more luck than me!

·
8,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well I guess it depends on how much lift the cam gets. But I've already got my cam ordered anyway. 1.8 roller rockers multiply the lift of the cam.
-Thomas

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I really don't think the greater duration will stress your springs. If the cam has greater lift, that will stress your springs more. I believe the issue is how far your spring gets compressed, and how abrupt or gradual the changes are.

edit: To clarify, what I am getting at is that a 216/220 cam with with .500 lift shouldn't stress your springs much more than a 207/215 cam with .500 lift. But it will stress the springs more than a 216/220 cam with .450 lift. See what I mean?

·
8,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah I know what you mean. He said he could grind me a 215/220 cam with .560 lift but could also do a 215/220 with .600 lift. The one with the higher lift will give me more low end torque is what he said. So I'm goin with that. He just found the springs that can handle that amount of lift and they cost more than the cam does lol.
-Thomas

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Wow, 0.600 is a lot of lift. Those must be some springs, man. How extreme is your engine going to be?

·
8,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
eventually a 4.3L with a vortech. Hoping to hit high 11's when done AT LEAST. I will not be satisfied without 11's.

Yeah you know the springs hold a lot of lift when they cost more than the actual cam hehe.

I just found a set of ported heads with 1.94 and 1.6 valves so I'm in luck. This setup is going to be awesome.

-Thomas

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Cool. I look forward to seeing the results. :)

1 - 20 of 61 Posts