41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
i stand by my last comment

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
ok, lets really put it to rest. You want twenty two inch rims..So, you get a show car. Have fun with a garage queen.

·
Registered
958 Posts
i don't know about 22's on a bird.......maybe 20's, i'd go no farther than 17-18".....
but next tax season i'm getting a 98 lincoln town car and putting 20's on it.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I kind of dig the 22s on the rear to an extent, sepending on the style of the wheel, but I am not so sure how I like 'em on the front. The rears kind of give that Chip Foose look. However when he does it there is usually enough mod work that the thing is as wide as it is tall!

I wonder how wide the rim needs to be to get a 22 to fit? If it's like 6 or 7 inches wide than I wouldn't allow myself to do it. Even 8" on a wheel that tall doesn't seem to appear wide enough. I have seen where with the correct backspacing Mark VIIIs and Thunderbirds can have a 315 on the back which looks awesome to me... I wish I had saved the article that stated the rim backspacing on that one.

If I could dump a 22" rim on the back and still achieve a 315 width tire I'd be really inclined to do it and staggar the front down to a 18" with a reasonable 245 and a nice raked lowered stance with the noce burried and the rear only about 1 1/2" above it.

I don't mind a garage queen since my Thunderbird is no longer my dailer driver. It is being modified enough across the board that it is a weekend car now. I also agree that any car that is 10 years old and holding no value in the eyes of insurance companies shouldn't be driven every day once you put enough work and money in it just because they'll never give it to you if it were to get wrecked.

A trailor queen... that might be another story though. I certainly think cars were meant to be driven. Ha... or at least raced! I still give a thumbs up for the art of hot rodding though when I see someone dare to do something, and pull it off right.

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
Thats cause they are nasty looking rims no matter what size. If you put a simple 5 or 7 spoke on in 20's I think it looks pretty good.

-Joel

·
Registered
502 Posts

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
Yeah, cause I have cobra r's :rolleyes:... not a fan of them either. I dont like the 20's cause they dont flow well with the car at all. Those are designed for bling and nothing else. They just look stupid, it isnt a good looking wheel period. To each their own... I say it sucks. You're the only one who's "belly ache'n", we're just giving opinions.

-Joel

·
Registered
502 Posts
I think the thing to remember is exactly what GODSPEED is saying... the flow of the car. The proportions of the car don't accept a 20" rim. At least not up front. I am not saying they will not fit. I think we all know they will actually fit under the car, but the natural rake of the car and the proportions of the car clash a bit with a 20" rim upfront. When it is done, the "clash" (for lack of a better term) creates a new and different look. The reason that look is not globally accepted is that it goes against the grain, if you will, of the car. Some people like that and others do not. I am also one of the ones that do not.

The "Bling" comes into effect that when the 20"+ wheel is clashing with the predisposed form of the factory proportion and design the ornimentaion of wheel is often exagerated to begin with and that "clash" emphasizes it, thus... bling.

Not judged by my car... (I have 17's and they are not Cobra R wheels, they are 93 Cobra fanblades that only look like a larger version of the 15" factory LX wheel, and it cost me the price of 20" spinners to do it), but rather from ALL of the cars I have seen I really like what I rarely see anyone do and that is to stagger wheel size. If I had a 20" rim on the back (which I wouldn't put it past me to do), I wouldn't roll with anything larger than a 18" wheel up front and not only retain the suspension rake, but enhance that as well.

If I would exagerate anything about the car (any car for that matter), it would be the natural flow of the car. It only makes sense that one would be taking what is globally admired about the car and enhance it even more making for a very VERY attractive end result.

But that's just me, and what do I know. I speculate at least twice a day as is, and can't figure out the difference between the words assume and presume.

·
leet sauce
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I speculate at least twice a day as is, and can't figure out the difference between the words assume and presume.

makes 2 of us :D:D:D

i decided against 22's as rubbing and low sidewall isnt my thing but i love it on old Homer's car (but its not stock height as well so it looks way better too)

·
Registered
293 Posts
I could really dig some lambo doors and some big fat rims on my ride. Please MTV; Pimp my Ride!!

·
Registered
182 Posts
20s

ive had nothing but compliments on my 20s. and they suit the car very well, either in chrome or in black..

chrome

black

and i recently came across this pic of a juiced (hydrolics) bird on 22's. i think they look good.

as long as the wheels fit the car. size shouldnt matter. and for the record. my ride quality is better than stock EVER was.

dont talk about ride quality untill you have riden in a bird with 20s.

I mean, you guys go ahead and roll on your 17's and 18's. hell, i had 18s once, and didnt like em, but that doesnt mean i tell you guys with 18s that they look like crap... ive seen wicked looking cars on 16s, and ive seen cool cars on 24s. so when a guy posts asking for help looking for some 245/60/16s, you dont see me posting telling him his wheels are too small and laughing at him. you guys seriously need to grow up a bit. egor happens to be a friend of mine, and i dont appreciate you guys giving him a hard time cause he wants 22s.

Im currently building a car around a set of 22's. my other bird has 20s on it right now. so what? i like them. i built it for me. not for you guys. egor just wanted a hand, and you turned it into yet another "we hate big rims" thread.

screw it.

egor, slap some 22s on that car. its totally possible without rubbing.

plus, than you'll be the first local bird with em, as mine arnt on yet.

and to everyone else. to each his own.

i build my car for me. i hope when something goes wrong with my car, that i dont get shot down too. although you will probably shoot me down anyways. cause its just a lowly supercoupe on 20s.

thats it from me.

-Preston

ps- if anyone has pics of birds on 22's, id like to see them.

41 - 60 of 96 Posts