TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on a bird at stock height. I have aftermarket wheels that are the same size, if not a little bit wider than the fan blade ones that came stock. I need to know if it will look ok or not, if you got pics that would be nice.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
great. it's a very nice match to the size of our fenderwells. I had a set on my 91. 6.5" wide wheels will be fine, and 7" even better.

your speedo will read low though. it will trick you into traveling faster.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had 225/70/R15 on my 96' V8 Tbird. They were BFG T/A radials mounted on Eagle alloy series 119 wheels. They were a perfect match. I can't see the 235/70/R15 being much bigger.

I can send you a picture of the car with the wheels on if you like. Just drop me an email to [email protected]

PS: I no longer have the car so the wheels are now for sale. Tires, however, are already gone.

Let me know if you would like some pictures...

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
Why not go to the 245/60-15? They're almost exactly the same height as stock tires and will give you a wider footprint and better handling. Many on the site have used them including me with excellent results.

I personally had the Dunlop GT Qualifiers and was extremely pleased with them for the money. But others have run Firestone Firehawks, various Goodyear tires, etc.

·
Registered
377 Posts
i would go with the 60 series instead of the 70 due to that they are taller which means more sidewall and more flex. plus the 60's wont screw up you speedo

245-60-15 or 235-60-15

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a set of 235/60/15 - General XP 2000 II's. Problem with them was they were too low. Didn't look right on the car due to the fenderwell space that was left. The footprint they left was nice, but I wasn't happy with the height. They are only 26" tall and 9" wide.

The 245/60/15 is a better choice than the 235, but still only 26.5" overall height and 9.5" wide.

The 225/70/15 gave me the height I was looking for - 27.4" tall and a footprint of 9" wide. It was the best compromise I could come up with. Fenderwell clearance was perfect and the width was good too.

I guess the choice is up to you. Whatever you choose is also going to depend on the terrain you drive on.

If anyone would like to see pictures, just let me know.

·
Registered
676 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
i have 235 - 70 - 15 on my bird and i think they look great expecially with the raised white letters... and they are great in the snow as well... unfortunately dont have any pics of the bird on the comp yet, but they definately fill the wells pretty nice

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the advise. I did not know that 245's would fit well on a 7 in wide wheel, if so that is prob what I will get with a 70 ratio. I am hopefully gonna get the tires on tirerack.com so it will be cheaper on me. What is the best brand for the buck (no coopers sorry)?

·
11,719 Posts
well the tirerack only lists 4 tires in 245/70-15. However, it lists 34 in 235/70-15.

One of them is the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 formerly known as the SS20. It's fairly cheap and is rated #1 in it's category. I had these in 235/70-15s and loved them....they filled the fenderwells, not just vertically but also horizontally.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a set of BFG T/A radial. Classic performance looking tire with raised white lettering. I'd go with either the 225 or 235 70/15. The 235 is about 1/2" taller (28") and 1/2" wider (9.5) than the 225.

Either one will work great...

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
27"+ tires are too tall for our cars. The 245/60-15 is ideal. Listen to people who know for a change. :)

·
11,719 Posts
Sir William said:
27"+ tires are too tall for our cars.
That's an opinion. There there are no issues with using taller tires.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
How bout some 255/60/15 BFG Radial T/A's, would they fit?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts