TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While we are hopeless as an actual racecar team (well, at least since we've gotten greedy and tried to go after more HP with a splitport and then a V8 swap), the head judge apparently appreciates our themes. He's mentioned us in every Lemons pre-race writeup for the Sears Point races we enter but this is the first time he wrote an entire article on our hopelessness.

My teammate found this article recently so I thought I'd pass it on.
Our next theme will be equally glorious (thanks to some purchases on eBay + a gallon of sky blue/smurf blue gloss paint from Sherwin Williams).

https://www.24hoursoflemons.com/blog/73-hella-sweet-lemons-car-of-the-week-bosozoku-texino-egg-laying-machino

·
Registered
631 Posts
So which dude are you in the write up?

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So which dude are you in the write up?
I'm in the first pic. Are you gonna stalk me now? :)
It shouldn't be too hard. There aren't many people anywhere with Gunn as a first name.

-g

·
Registered
631 Posts
Cool, dint know Gunn was your first name. Surprised an asian is interested in these cars. :)

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool, dint know Gunn was your first name. Surprised an asian is interested in these cars. :)
I honestly didn't think much of the tbird (always thought of it as an old man's barge)... but I always wanted to race in the 24 Hours of Lemons since i first heard about it. A friend had this tbird as his HS/handmedown car and kept it all the way through college and then into work. He finally bought his first new car (a Lexus IS sedan) and when he moved back to NJ, he gave me the car/title instead of shipping it back.

I started gutting it the next day.

I knew this platform was RWD and IRS and parts would be cheap but honestly, this has been a more fun track car than I originally expected (it also helps if you count 3 engine rebuilds as fun -- I do considering my day job doesn't involve doing anything physical).

My only complaint is that I wish it was 3-500LB lighter to start with. Even after putting my car on a crazy diet (800LBs removed but a few hundred added in with the V8 swap and full cage), this car would be that much more fun if it was 2500-2800 vs 3150Lbs race ready sans driver. On the plus side, parts are stupid cheap.

I'm also surprised you guys pay so much for dome lights :)

Regards,
-g

PS. I didn't own a single SAE tool before buying this car. Or an impact gun. Or a welder. Or a whole host of random tools.

PSS. Until I built up our V8, I also never truly appreciated the sound of a growling n/a V8 vs a high strung turbo. I still don't understand the appeal of NASCAR though.

PSSS. Asians like all sorts of stuff. There are like 4 billion of us running around after all.

·
Registered
631 Posts
guess i thought you've been around here longer than you have (2010). how many years have you been racing it now? i want to do the lemons thing. looks fun.

leave the t birds to the nerr....... better not say it. lol

·
Super Moderator
12,538 Posts
Great article. You guys rock!

I don't know a thing about the 24 HRS of Lemons but I can't imagine what teams do actually win given your creativity and not wining.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great article. You guys rock!

I don't know a thing about the 24 HRS of Lemons but I can't imagine what teams do actually win given your creativity and not wining.
I've actually given much thought to this as well.
Two ways to "win" something in
A) Win on laps - most laps after the end of the weekend wins
B) Win on uniqueness and or on the Index of Effluency (aka the crappiest car that does the best overal).

For a straight up Win on A (overall or in your class - we are B aka mid-tier):
1) With a 4 person team, you average about 3 hours of wheel to wheel track time per person for the entire weekend. This is more experience than most other motorsports experiences will ever give you (esp per $) but we don't enter enough races for our drivers to be more than average in terms of skills.

2) Car that can pass >50% of the field (we got this now) or can stay out there for >4 hours per stint (maximize laps). Even if we went to a fuel cell, our V8 couldn't do this. Also, our drivers start making mistakes after 1.5 hours. See experience re'q above)

3) Reliable car that can run for 16-18 hours on a weekend flat out. We are working on this as well and with the recent radiator & oil system upgrades, we might be able to pull this off with a V8 car. We were OK at 140HP but that was just so boring/scary to drive. Emphasis on Might.

4) Team & infrastructure (parts/etc) that can rebuild the car in case of an accident/parts failure at the race.
- We couldn't do this the first race (didn't need to b/c we were lucky) but we can pretty much rebuild almost everything and have spares for everything now: spare engine+trans, full suspension spares inc struts/shocks, springs, spindles, UCAs, and LCAs, brakes, pads, etc. It helps to have parted out 4 cars and just consistently bought parts on Rockauto.

- We are definitely in the minority as one of the few teams I've ever met without one member who is a professional mechanic. After 5 years, we've touched/rebuilt most systems in the car now except: steering (never swapped a rack) & ABS. I think we are OK here now (it also helps also to have two professional mechanics - Madmikey and Dan -- on speeddial if needed :)

----
To win The Second Way - Uniqueness
1) You need a car that is more unique that our tbird. Sure we have a chicken cam and a shopping cart but we haven't grafted on a plane, swapped in a radial engine (not a rotary), or built an homage to The Homer. Those are Legendary builds.
The "Spirit Of Lemons" Plane Car Raced And Didn't Fall Apart
How to: Stuff a Radial Aircraft Engine in a Toyota MR2 ? Feature ? Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog
The Homer - a 24 Hours of LeMons race car

2) To win IoE, you need something old, weird or both. A LADA (or anything eastern european), a Bricklin, early 70s discontinued GM car (Plymouth Arrow), or a Yugo with a mid-engine swap will do it. Our tbird is simply too common to really stand out even with an epic theme. Maybe if this chassis ever dies we will consider swapping out the drivetrain into something more spectacular. Like maybe a Brat with the 302 mounted in the bed underneath a doghouse might stand a chance.

Bottom Line: while a trophy is always nice, you race for the fun of it and the challenge of the build -- not the glory. Or the money. After all, the overall win pays $4-600... in nickels. an IoE pays $601. still in nickels.

·
̇
3,701 Posts
Congrats on being featured in the article..

I found it pretty humorous actually..lol

You "Lemons" guys must have groupies galore, huh?
:D

Rayo..

·
Super Moderator
11,009 Posts
You "Lemons" guys must have groupies galore, huh?
:D

Rayo..
You looking for an intro, Rayo? :grin2:

I personally do not wish to see photos of any SF groupies; YMMSV.

>:)

·
Super Moderator
11,009 Posts
Nahhh..Just giving S4Gunn a hard time.. :tongue:

Rayo..
It's all good. :)

S4gunn is having a great time from the look of it; I need to see what's going on with this locally.

:grin2:

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Crew

:wavey:

To bad your race wasn't closer.
I could help you run your car.
I have some experience there. could bring an entire backup car.
only 302, 2 bbl. with C4 or fmx auto tranys though +.

:zbench:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts