TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
saleen speedstars 18x9 chrome with cooper zeon sport 245/45/18 front 275/40/18 in the rear

will this setup work with a 96 bird. I read that it worked with the 90's. Just curious if the rears will fit not sure if thats to wide or not?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Works very well for me on my 95. I have 18x10's on the rear and 18X9's on the front. I did roll my rear fenders just in case since the car is lowered.

·
Super Moderator
12,396 Posts
Go 255/45 in front and 285/40 in back. You won't regret it. (You will need to roll the rear fender). I have super firm Bilstein shocks in back and the fender doesn't rub with the 275's I have now unless I've got a lot of junk in the back of the car weighing it down.

As of right now my fender is not rolled.

When the tires wear out my next set will be 255/45 in front and 285/40 in back. The 245's on a 9" rim are a tight fit (almost to small). I have 285 drag radials that I run; and wow do they look good in back!

Photo's in my gallery if you're interested.

·
Super Moderator
12,396 Posts
Which combo and what brand tires Jeff?

245/45 and 275/40

or

255/45 and 285/40

:confused:

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
245/45 Goodyear Eagle F1's Front
275/40 Nitto Extreme's Rear

When these rear's wear out, I'm gonna see about what a 305 or a 315 will look like, probably a drag radial for daily use.

·
Registered
253 Posts
275 is the widest recommended tire size for a 9" rim.

You will start to see your handling suffer if you go outside what is suppose to fit on your rim.

I did quite a bit of research before going with 245/45/18 up front and 255/45/18 out back in a Nitto NT555. You wont have any problem with traction in this size if you go with the Nittos. These are the stickiest street tires I have ever owned, almost frustratingly so.

On my bullitt I have 18x9's and breaking traction is hard in a straight line even with the 5 speed and gears w/TCS off. Handling is right where I want it though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
255/45/18 is taller than a 285/40/18. They are advertised as the same height, but they are not. It looked really retarded on my 99 Mustang with taller tires in the front.

I finally settled on a 285/40/18 on an 18x10, and a 255/40/18 on an 18x9, which is a pretty good looking combo if you like a bit shorter tire up front. I have looked at them on my 88 T bird by setting them in place, and they looked pretty good there too.

255 is the narrowest I would go on a 9" rim. I have had 245's on a 9" rim in the past and it is really stretched. I had those tires lose there bead and go flat twice in 10k miles.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
255 is the narrowest I would go on a 9" rim. I have had 245's on a 9" rim in the past and it is really stretched. I had those tires lose there bead and go flat twice in 10k miles.
I have not had that problem yet. For my General's 245/45-18 the specs according to Tire Rack are 7.5-9 inch rim width.

·
Super Moderator
12,396 Posts
275 is the widest recommended tire size for a 9" rim.

You will start to see your handling suffer if you go outside what is suppose to fit on your rim.
I'm not to concerned about handling suffering at the dragstrip with the 285/40's that I run on a 9" rim at the strip. I've hand excellent results with my Nitto's.

I do run 275/40's in the back on the street.

255/45/18 is taller than a 285/40/18. They are advertised as the same height, but they are not. It looked really retarded on my 99 Mustang with taller tires in the front.

I finally settled on a 285/40/18 on an 18x10, and a 255/40/18 on an 18x9, which is a pretty good looking combo if you like a bit shorter tire up front. I have looked at them on my 88 T bird by setting them in place, and they looked pretty good there too.

I bet that does look good. I'd have to agree about not going smaller than 255 on a 9" rim. When I get fresh tires for the front I'm changing to 255's.

I have not had that problem yet. For my General's 245/45-18 the specs according to Tire Rack are 7.5-9 inch rim width.
Yea, the specs say a 245 will fit on a 9" rim, but that's a minimum tire size on a 9" rim. The Ideal sizes for a 9" rim are 255 to 275.

·
Registered
987 Posts
A 245-45-18 fits perfect on a 9" wheel, the sidewall is not pulled the least bit. If the tire looks a bit narrow its because that specific mfr. tends to run a bit narrow and this is, or can be the case with alot of lower quality tire mfr's.

255-40-18 is too short and a 255-45-18 tends to rub at full steer lock to lock, however its a minor rub but some dont want any at all and depending on the specs of the wheel these tire options can rub on the ball joint as well. These are the specifics that people need to know about before you convince them its the best option. It all boils down to preferance and if the individual wants to deal with issues or if he wants to bolt something on and be done.

Lastly...If anyone comes to me asking about a wheel and tire setup Im never going to suggest something that wont work. If it requires any sort of modification to run them I will ALWAYS disclose exactly what is needed to run said setup. If I dont know I will disclose that as well.

Brad

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Hey Brad, What size is the center cap on the 18x9 / 18x10 bullitt wheels you offer? When I bought my car with those wheels on it, the center caps where long gone....I bouht some cheap silver ones from americanmuscle.com They look OK, but aren't right...I had to dremel off a few plastic tabs from the back which kept them from locking into place. Also, they do not sit "in" the center hole, instead, they are just a little too big, and they cover the lip around the center of the inside of the wheel (hub) area.

Do standard ford/svt/cobra/bullitt OEM center caps fit?

Can you suggest any caps that would fit and look right?

What about those bullet looking caps? I saw a set on these wheels, but I cannot find a set to purchase anywhere.

Also, what about those spinner center caps for the bullitt wheels? Ever seen them on the wheels you offer? Do they fit?

Only reason I ask all these questions, instead of just trying it, is because a lot of these center cap options are pretty pricey to have it ultimately not fit/not fit correctly.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Profile is important when looking at fitting a wheel on a tire.

I run 245 50 17's on 8" wheels, so I'll use them as an example:

245 40 17 recommended widths: 8 to 9.5
245 45 17 recommended widths: 7.5 to 9
245 50 17 recommended widths: 7 to 8.5

It is width and the profile that sets the recommended wheel sizes.

But just my .02 as I am definitely not an expert. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
987 Posts
Hey Brad, What size is the center cap on the 18x9 / 18x10 bullitt wheels you offer? When I bought my car with those wheels on it, the center caps where long gone....I bouht some cheap silver ones from americanmuscle.com They look OK, but aren't right...I had to dremel off a few plastic tabs from the back which kept them from locking into place. Also, they do not sit "in" the center hole, instead, they are just a little too big, and they cover the lip around the center of the inside of the wheel (hub) area.

Do standard ford/svt/cobra/bullitt OEM center caps fit?
I dont know...Ive never tried fitting them up.

Can you suggest any caps that would fit and look right?
Another set of the caps that come with those wheels

What about those bullet looking caps? I saw a set on these wheels, but I cannot find a set to purchase anywhere.
I have some, just call the shop and get a set.

Also, what about those spinner center caps for the bullitt wheels? Ever seen them on the wheels you offer? Do they fit?
Again I dont know as Ive never tried to fit some up.

Only reason I ask all these questions, instead of just trying it, is because a lot of these center cap options are pretty pricey to have it ultimately not fit/not fit correctly.
Right, well all I have are the Black caps with the Embossed R' in them and the Chrome bullit caps. I know these two fit and work fine.

btw....A PM or a thread of your own would have been better than hijacking this guys thread. I doubt he cares about your cap dillema.

Brad

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ok im kinda new to this but did u have to change the hub assembly to run those rims or are they a direct fit, sorry for noob question

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
This is the exact set up I'm running. I have Speed Star's running on a mustang bolt pattern. 18x9 up front and 18x10 in the back. I run 245/45 and 275/40's. I would have loved to put 285's on the back as ron suggested... the only issue is that good rubber isn't cheap. And that extra 10mm for the rear tires were going to cost me another 100 a tire... Screw that. These pilot sports were already 250 a tire when I bought them. But I can't remember what offset I used. I think the fronts actually ended up being 36 and the rears were 42.

As for the fender rolling i would go with it. I have Koni Adjustable shocks and they stay on the stiffest setting. Without the air bags in my rear springs the back tires rub on the bumps all the time. I have to keep 20 to 25PSI in the bags to keep them from rubbing. But they do look nice I do say so myself. You can see them in the Wheels and tires thread.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts