TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stock tire size on my '94 is 215/70R15, but that is not fat enough to hold the road. I was wondering if anyone has ever used a 245/60R15 would fit without rubbing, becuase I would rather not have the tires rubbing. I fI have to stay with a 215, Its not a big deal, I just wanted to be able to use a fatter tire for traction if it was possible.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Lots of people on here (myself included) run 245/60/15's with no trouble at all.

Of course, there are those who say that the tire is too wide for our wheels, but nobody I know or heard of has ever had any problem.

This has been discussed many times before, I am sure you could come up with a lot of reading if you did a search.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
mamberg said:
Lots of people on here (myself included) run 245/60/15's with no trouble at all.

Of course, there are those who say that the tire is too wide for our wheels, but nobody I know or heard of has ever had any problem.

This has been discussed many times before, I am sure you could come up with a lot of reading if you did a search.
Yeah it's debatable on a 6.5" rim. Under normal driving, it's probably fine. I bet I could rip that tire off in no time flat on the track (autocross). :D

For most normal people, i'm sure it's fine. It's a "bit" wide, and you really should have a larger rim, but you can get away with it.

Like I said, it wouldn't stand a chance with my driving on the track.. but hey... we're not all perfect ;)

·
Stroked and Blown
2,395 Posts
I have 245 60/r15 and have had no trouble at all. They do however make the car sit a little lower and if you have a body kit like me, your front piece and your tailpipes will definently hit/scrape if you go over a rather high speed bump or if you drive over a dip.
Frank
96 Tbird 3.8

·
Registered
56 Posts
NaPalmfsr said:
Stock tire size on my '94 is 215/70R15, but that is not fat enough to hold the road. I was wondering if anyone has ever used a 245/60R15 would fit without rubbing, becuase I would rather not have the tires rubbing. I fI have to stay with a 215, Its not a big deal, I just wanted to be able to use a fatter tire for traction if it was possible.
i have the same question here. i have a 95 bird and it calls for the 215/70R15 also, i just bought the car from a friend of mine, and he put 235/60R15 tires on it. i like that they are wide, to me they look a lot better than stock tires. these tires are new and im gonna get some miles out of um. but i would like to replace them with the 245/60R15 tires, i think they are a little closer to the height of what it calls for. thanks for any advice on this.

Frank

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Most tire companies will not warrenty a tire that's mounted to a rim outside of their approved range.

every tire I've seen lists the maximum width on a 6.5" rim with 60 series is 235. It's not THAT much shorter, plus it'll trick you into going at bit slower. (Cops :leftright )

·
Registered
56 Posts
GreenBird said:
Most tire companies will not warrenty a tire that's mounted to a rim outside of their approved range.

every tire I've seen lists the maximum width on a 6.5" rim with 60 series is 235. It's not THAT much shorter, plus it'll trick you into going at bit slower. (Cops :leftright )
thanks for that info, i looked it up at the uniroyal website.
but i wonder if my rims are 6.5 ,they are stock alum. kinda
curved looking spokes.

thanks

Frank

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
95bird4.6 said:

thanks for that info, i looked it up at the uniroyal website.
but i wonder if my rims are 6.5 ,they are stock alum. kinda
curved looking spokes.

thanks

Frank
15" steel are 6" wide
15" alloy are 6.5" wide
16: alloy are 7" wide.
This applies to all stock mn12 wheels.

·
Stroked and Blown
2,395 Posts
Hi all, we have established that 235/245/60R15 will work fine however, i have a question that is quite related. When we switch to the 60 series tires, does it slow down our 1/4 mile et? Think about it, I f we have smaller tires, it may not get as much take off as the taller tires, but with the smaller tires, does this mean we have a higher top speed. Just like a 4:11 rear is better take off but less top speed whereas a 3:27 rear is less take off but more top speed. I noticed this about 2 summers ago (summer 02') I was driving out through Western Maryland and if any of you are familiar with the area, some of you may be familiar with Route 68. I was driving on route 68 and decided to put the pedal to the metal to see what my car could do. The top speed of the 96 Tbird is only suppose to be 105mph all stock with the limiter. I had my car a tab past 110 and it was still going. The only reason why i backed off was because my CB radio antenna flew off lol. Anyways was my car going past the limiter's speed because of the smaller tires? Well, any help would be appreciated. thanks all, Frank 96 Tbird 3.8:zbeer:

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
cool dude said:
Hi all, we have established that 235/245/60R15 will work fine however, i have a question that is quite related. When we switch to the 60 series tires, does it slow down our 1/4 mile et? Think about it, I f we have smaller tires, it may not get as much take off as the taller tires, but with the smaller tires, does this mean we have a higher top speed. Just like a 4:11 rear is better take off but less top speed whereas a 3:27 rear is less take off but more top speed. I noticed this about 2 summers ago (summer 02') I was driving out through Western Maryland and if any of you are familiar with the area, some of you may be familiar with Route 68. I was driving on route 68 and decided to put the pedal to the metal to see what my car could do. The top speed of the 96 Tbird is only suppose to be 105mph all stock with the limiter. I had my car a tab past 110 and it was still going. The only reason why i backed off was because my CB radio antenna flew off lol. Anyways was my car going past the limiter's speed because of the smaller tires? Well, any help would be appreciated. thanks all, Frank 96 Tbird 3.8:zbeer:
A smaller tire should free up TQ since it's less mass to rotate. As far as effecting speed, it doesn't really. Your speedo will read faster since your speedo is calibrated for a particular tire height. But it's not going to actually change your top speed or anything. A heavier tire takes more TQ to get moving and more HP to keep moving. But beyond that.. shouldn't matter, again, taking into consideration the calibration. If you run a really small tire, you could be doing 60 but you speedo might say your doing 100, that obviously doesn't mean your doing 100.

it's like 105 or something like that for the limiter, if you aren't chipped. I've had my tbird to 135 and there was a fair amount of snot left yet. The V6 tbird might also not be limited, since I dunno how much beyond 110 you can really go, V6 doesn't really have all that much power to move a 3800 lb car past above and beyond 100 I would think.

·
Registered
861 Posts
v6's are limited to 115 from factory, i've had mine to 125 no problem. also, a smaller tire has same affect as changing rear end gears, don't think it'll change from a 3.27 to a 4.10 or anything like that, but it does make small difference. falken actually says they're 255/50 will fit on a 6.5 inch rim. i think i'll stick w/ my 255 on 7.0 inch rims though:)

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
chrisnack said:
V6 doesn't really have all that much power to move a 3800 lb car past above and beyond 100 I would think.
Not saying it can't do it.. but it sure as hell isn't going to have the snot that my V8 still does up there...

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
chrisnack said:
Yeah it's debatable on a 6.5" rim. Under normal driving, it's probably fine. I bet I could rip that tire off in no time flat on the track (autocross). :D

For most normal people, i'm sure it's fine. It's a "bit" wide, and you really should have a larger rim, but you can get away with it.

Like I said, it wouldn't stand a chance with my driving on the track.. but hey... we're not all perfect ;)
Well I um... lets just say I was a little happy leaving a stop sign and making a right hand turn and hit the apex right at the 1-2. The rear kicked out 90*, then grabbed and turned 180* the other direction, then 270* back the other way (on dry pavement mind you, damn you perfect altitude weather) and my 245/60r15's didn't even roll over onto the side at all (no rub marks on the sidewalls from when the car was going completely sideways on 3 different occasions)

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
ShadowDragon said:

and my 245/60r15's didn't even roll over onto the side at all (no rub marks on the sidewalls from when the car was going completely sideways on 3 different occasions)
chalk your tires once and then drive around... that is the only way to tell how much roll over you are really having...

depends on the design of the tires.. my Yoko Avid Inter's didn't roll over at all, and they were a 70 series sidewall...

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
No thanks, I'm used to the mark TC with the 3.73's now, ain't doing that again.

FYI, the BF Goodrich Radial T/A minimum rim size for 245/60r15 is 6.5"

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
a 235/60 15 will lower your rear end ratio a little bit....you will be ever so slightly off the line...its not b/c of weight....it might be but most tires weigh about the same in this size range....go with the 245/60...it looks stock...if you want quicker off the line....pick up the 235/60 15....i myself like the 245/60 15 better....i had kelly DR on the back of mine in that size...they were nice on the dry :)

p.s. i shoved a 265/50 15 on a 6.5 inch tarus steel rim

·
Stroked and Blown
2,395 Posts
V6 doesn't really have all that much power to move a 3800 lb car past above and beyond 100 I would think.

Uhm....If a ricer 4 cylinder can go above 120, You can bet ur @$$ that my "3.8" Tbird will do it... lol (if it didnt have the limiter that is) V-6 Camaros, Firebirds, etc are about as heavy and can go 120 with out any problems. The new 2003/2004 Monte Carlos are 3.8's and those cars are way heavier than a Thunderbird and I believe some of them can hit 140 (SS models of course) Anyways.....To get back to the main subject.......tire sizes, lol..............I think I will keep the 60 series on mine or I may go up to a 65 series if there is a such thing....I like the width of the 60 series, but I think when the spring time comes around I'm gonna get new rims again and I'm gonna go with chrome this time (polished aluminum is a pain in the @$$ to clean) Well, talk to u all later...........Frank, 96 Tbird 3.8:zbeer:

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
cool dude said:
I like the width of the 60 series
"60 Series" has NOTHING to do with the width. The 50-60-70, etc. (the number after the / ) in a tire size is the aspect ratio. It's a percentage measurement of how high the sidewall is compared to the tread width.

AAA/BB-CC
-- AAA = Treadwidth in millimeters
-- BB = Sidewall height as a percentage of AAA
-- CC = Rim size in inches

Hope this helps. The confusion comes from the fact that 60 series tires are *usually* wider than stock. People go from 70s to 60s with wider treadwidths. But it's the AAA that makes it bigger. :D

Edit: Massive brain fart corrections.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
the monte carlo with the 3.8 has 200hp.....not like the birds 140hp....and probbly the same tq....and......all the cars you mentioned weigh considerible lighter...V6 Camaros and Firebirds are in about the 3200lb range and at the most 3400lbs...but yeah a 3.8 bird might have trouble geting past 140.....but i could see one geting to 120ish

1 - 20 of 28 Posts