TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok im going to get the search call but i need an opinion....when mounting and auxilery tranny cooler.....should one use the stock lines and mount the cooler somewere near the radiator?....or wherre the best place to mount it...i need to add one before a drag race for a day strait....i also need some input on some preventative maintence to do before one day strait of drag racing....

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
iv seen some placed on the front of the radiator...using the stock lines, just taken off the radiator an placed on the new cooler...thats what im planning on doing soon as long as someone else here proves wrong before i do...

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what i want to do...i dont know if that will nlower cooling capacity of the stock radiator but i figure with 22c's and a 180 stat it will probably even out

·
8,239 Posts
don't take the heat exchanger out of the picture, just plumb your cooler inline with it.

It serves to help warm the fluid on cold days.

JH

·
Registered
632 Posts
Right-o

The myth that cooler is better is not really correct. Tranny fluid should run at a certain temperature. The heat exhanger in the radiator helps it warm up because of the warm coolant.

-Andrey

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so the heat exchanger is what the tranny hooks up to on the radiator?...how do you run line from the stock line or do you have to redo it all?

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
well i kinda designed a lil diagram...someone tellme if this is wrong or not...if so could someone edit it...

·
8,239 Posts
just plumb the cooler inline with the return line (top) and you are done. No diagrams are really necessary.

JH

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
lol...sweet...i guess i have too much time on my hands...

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
smokymance said:
well i kinda designed a lil diagram...someone tellme if this is wrong or not...if so could someone edit it...
Holy Sh*T! This is exactly what I was looking for in my Tranny cooler trouble! Thanks a bunch man! I understand what I need to do now... You Rock!! :headbang:

In case you don't read this I'm gonna PM this msg to you too! You just cleared up a bunch of mystery for me!

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
JustinH said:
yeah that picture is wrong.

You want to plumb into the return line (top hardline) not the bottom line.

JH
The overall concept is still the same I assume, just into the top hardline instead of the bottom.

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
just edited the above image....and here is a repost...but as said earlier there is no need for a diagram....but here it is once more...

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
you could do a mount like this ...

It's a bigger cooler, but you can get the idea how it's setup. I used a couple pieces of drywall edging, drilled out two of the wholes that were already in the cooler and came up with what you see there. It's a real sturdy frame, doesn't move anywhere, no rubbing.

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
that looks awsome...clean setup...can i ask you where u got those lines and fittings...u got some sizes too?...that would really help...

·
8,239 Posts
ask him what he paid for all those AN fittings and SS Hose.

My guess is between 150-200 bucks for the whole setup including the cooler.

Check out the prices for some of that stuff at jegs.

JH

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
That is a very clean and very performance looking setup.

If I ever push more than 250 horses at the wheels.. I'd look into it actually!

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
smokymance said:
that looks awsome...clean setup...can i ask you where u got those lines and fittings...u got some sizes too?...that would really help...
it was NOT cheap as JustinH said -- and he's right, only I bought a lot of extra hose, so I dropped like 210 bucks for the whole deal (you can do it for 140 if you don't buy 20 foot of hose). I got everything at jegs and I've actually got an article up about it -- revamping it as we speak actually -- adding/moving a few things.

I used what's called AN fittings (army/navy) -- its complete overkill. The lines alone can handle up to some insane number like 1000psi @ 350' if I remember right.

Here's the other side ...I'm really happy with the mounting to tell you the truth, that's the icing on the cake. It looks good and its ROCK SOLID.

Dropped my temps to a nice 150-180 degrees.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
im not going that sever im going to rock a 24k one and just work off the stuff they give you with the B&M cooler

1 - 20 of 29 Posts