TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so, I read an earlier post on RWL tires and, upon seeing pictures, said to myself, "Damn, that looks nice!" Seeing as I actually need new tires at the moment, I figured that it'd be a good time to look into some RWL tires.

The BF Goodrich Radial T/A tires look pretty nice and have good reviews, but I've got one question - the smallest size they come in for 16" rims is 265/60TR16. My question is, then, will these fit on stock Sport wheels? And more importantly, if I mount these tires on 16" Sport wheels on a '97 Sport, will I encounter any fit problems? Will there be any rubbing, etc.? I'm kinda new to this whole thing, so what I know about, well, anything, you can just about fit in a thimble, so any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aha, thanks. That pretty much settles it - it's a no. How sad.

With that in mind, then, does anyone know of/recommend any good RWL tires that'll fit on stock 16" wheels?

(as a point of reference, I believe the stock tire size is 225-60-16)

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
You might want to rethink the RWL vs. tire price and size availability. Sadly, RWL tires are getting hard to find and you are really limiting yourself in tire selection. :bawling:

I have always liked the 235 60 16 for a nice, cheap, readily available tire that fits nicely on the 16” wheels. They aren’t that wide but there are many to choose from.

But just my opinion. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You might want to rethink the RWL vs. tire price and size availability. Sadly, RWL tires are getting hard to find and you are really limiting yourself in tire selection. :bawling:

I have always liked the 235 60 16 for a nice, cheap, readily available tire that fits nicely on the 16” wheels. They aren’t that wide but there are many to choose from.

But just my opinion. :thumbsup:
Well, cheap and readily available is definitely a plus - it just so happened that I saw these RWLs and really liked the way they looked, at least from the side.

It's not really the width that appealed to me, just the lettering. I guess, then, I'll just have to settle for "normal" tires, seeing as I haven't been able to find ANY RWLs that'll fit. Oh well.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Might check out the Dayton Daytona SR, that's what I had on my '92, they looked sharp. RWL on a white Bird looks awesome, IMO

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Might check out the Dayton Daytona SR, that's what I had on my '92, they looked sharp. RWL on a white Bird looks awesome, IMO
How was treadwear and performance on 'em?

Also: I see for 16" rims, they only come in 235-55-16. Does anyone have any idea how that'd look? Any advice?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
255/60r16 Ftw

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, I take it that 235 60 16's will fit on a 97 with sport suspension? I had a 88 Turbo Coupe and bought some that size and had rubbing issues.
Actually, I don't know, I still haven't bought any new tires yet. I probably should.

·
Registered
844 Posts
235/60 16s fit great. I had no rubbing, and it filled out the fenderwell a little more

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
imo the 235/60/16s are preferable over stock. I've never heard anyone having issues with them and they fill the wheel well out an extra 0.5" or so too. imo it should have been the stock tire size for the 16" wheels.

·
Registered
663 Posts
How was treadwear and performance on 'em?

Also: I see for 16" rims, they only come in 235-55-16. Does anyone have any idea how that'd look? Any advice?
They'll be a little too small diameter for a non-lowered Bird. A stock Bird has too much fender gap with the 225/60R16 and the 235/55R16's are a half inch smaller in diameter. I run them on my lowered Bird.

Biggest porblem with them is the selection is poor, plus they cost more than the 225/60R16 and 235/60R16.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts