TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright everyone, Thunderbirds due for a makeover, its currently in the paintshop, and when she gets back im getting her some new wheels..

ive always been fond of the 18" saleen speedstars, from brad, and am 99% sure ill be ordering those by the end of the week.

however, tire size is my concern, it has nothing to do with the wheel, but i was thinking of going 245/45/18 in the front, and 275/40/18 in the back. Has anyone had any issues doing so? i was just in the custom wheel shop section and came across something about air bags, those arnt needed to run the 275s are they? i cant see why they would be.. but before i dump my paychecks into new rubber id like to know forsure what im doing is going to work.. and you guys are thee experts :tongue:

any help is appreciated guys.

·
Banned
998 Posts
The air bags are for the guys who have lowered there car 1 1/2 or more.

You should be fine with your suggested setup. The staggered look looks great on our MN12's.

I have 275/40/17 all the way around but I do have the SN95 wheel swap.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
275 will not fit with standard back spacing, 255 is pushing it. The wheels have to stick out farther to make clearance.
Alan

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well then, even if i buy the saleen wheels i wont be able to fit a 275?

I know the wheels are a 36 offset, but im not familiar with wheels much. The sport wheels are 7 inches wide or close to that i think, and the saleens are 9 inches, that i know for a fact. Does that extra 2 inches or so just go in, not outwards?

Wait i get it..
So i should just go 245/45/18 all around then huh?..

·
Registered
987 Posts
OK...Nothing standard about a 18X9 with a 36MM offset with respect to a thunderbird...hah Standard procedure maybe, but not standard specs.

A 275-40-18 is not going to hang out of the fenders, infact they will tuck with that wheel spec. My 275's on 18X10's tuck with a 1.5" Eibach, no bag kit & no fender roll needed. Hard to believe, I know...

Brad

·
Registered
987 Posts
problem solved sorry i guess my choice in wording was wrong :p

yours fit with no bag kit? can i ask why you recommended i use one then? :p
Mine dont rub because I went with a tire that I knew ran a lil narrow. When I make sugestions to most ppl its for the masses. You would net the same results using the tires I am using, its simple as that.

Brad

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Adding the air bags in the rear is a good choice for anyone that lowers there car, does any drag racing, or other performance type driving.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AIR-60776/

This is what most people, including myself end up getting. No pumps or anything is needed. You just run the provided air lines into your trunk and mount the schrader valves. Keep about 15lbs in each bag and you are good to go.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
thankyou very much!

will the kit affect ride quality?
It actually helped my ride quality but that is probably because I have some crappy old Intrax springs in the back of my car. And again, just adding these bags took away all of my wheel hop!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I just put 275/40-18 in the back on 18 x 9 Cobras. If I look at them from the top though, its pretty clear they're gonna rub when I put on the lowering springs. I'm going to have 0.375" machined off the inside mounting surface of the wheel so it will fit under the fender. Even then, I'm going to have the inner fender rolled. My buddy has the tool from Eastwood to do the fender rolling the right way.

This guy on Car Domain has a black '95 with 245/45-18 in the front and 275/40-18 in the rear and pulls it off, but his description doesn't really talk about bags or fender rolling. I've read about most 275-18 guys milling some off the inside of the wheel; it looks like there's no way around it for my wheels.

Don't get discouraged about a 275/40-18, it looks really bada$$ but there may be some machining involved to get them under your fender.

Here are some pics: http://s1132.photobucket.com/albums/m571/Triston30/

PM with any ?'s I'm dealing with this as we speak.
Triston

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As much as i really want to go 275 in the rear, im most likely going to go 245 all the way around, at least until i actually need more traction. With my 225's my automatic barely squeaks.

·
Super Moderator
12,086 Posts
As much as i really want to go 275 in the rear, im most likely going to go 245 all the way around, at least until i actually need more traction. With my 225's my automatic barely squeaks.
Sounds like a good Idea. If you don't have the HP or a posi-lock to take advantage of the extra tread then a more balanced - 245 all around - approach is probably best for your situation.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I have the same Air Lift kit as R8D posted. I also rolled the fender just in case.

18x10 with 275/40-18, 1" drop and bags.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts