TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Used 28 spline Ford trak-lok unit for a solid axle. Can be converted for use in an IRS pumpkin:
http://forums.tccoa.com/960-differentials/119374-converting-non-irs-tl-irs-tl.html

Mileage unknown, clutch condition unknown. Looks to be in good condition. Not as dusty as it appears in the pic. Bought recently thinking it was an IRS unit since it had the IRS part #M4204F288 listed in the ad.

$90 + shipping.

Thanks,
Al

Attachments

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, you have to taper the inside edge of the side gears. Otherwise, it will be hard to get the axles back out once they are in.

It is all explained in that link, and that thread has another link that shows a detailed drawing of what is getting machined.

Al

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bump it up before putting it on ebay. This is a cheap way to get a trak lok in your MN12, with a small modification to the side gears. Throw a clutch kit in there and new bearings for good measure, and you're all set.

As most people know, the genuine Ford IRS trak loks have been discontinued for 3 years. As someone who has searched, finding one is near impossible.

Thanks,
Al

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Okay, I'm interested but I don't know what it takes to put a rear end together. I've been needing 3:73 gears to match my tune for quite some time. Other than what the link says I don't know what else I need to get it all together or how much it may cost. Then again it wouldn't be the first time I sat on a part for years. I still have a separator plate that I have yet to drill for the Jmod.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I wouldn't dare try to do the assembly myself but I do want to make sure I can get the rest of the parts I'd need. I'm assuming that not only would I need the bigger gears but perhaps a new 8.8" pumpkin. I'm used to seeing the whole thing listed for sale already assembled for at least $400-600. Other than understanding the physics of having bigger gears and locking diffs I know knowing about the rear end.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
You change the side gears from your irs diff. No sense in wasting time machining a part you already have at your disposal.

Is anyone in line for the dibs on this?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, I didn't realize the side gears were the same. No one called dibs on it yet.

Thanks,
Al

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
put me in then. I have to buy a 97 console and a trans cooler this week, but I am thinking next week I should be able to pick this up.

·
The Parts Guy
7,326 Posts
You change the side gears from your irs diff. No sense in wasting time machining a part you already have at your disposal.

Is anyone in line for the dibs on this?
The side gears from an open diff will not work here.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bump it up.

Al

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Still got this. Rather not put on ebay.

Al