TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i love my tbird but i need a second vehicle i am debating between a good fuel economy vehicle or a new truck...any suggestions

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Fuel Economy... I get 38MPG with my Fiesta. Anything over 30 MPG will save you money. It helps pay for the car everytime you fill up.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My bird does good on the highway but i need something else i actually drove a fiesta,they ride pretty smooth

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
My 1995 Mazda Protege that I bought brand new and ran about 300,000 miles (never changed an alternator or starter) got about 39 mpg new, then went up to about 41-42 mpg once it got 75,000 miles on it.

At over 200,000 miles, it went down to about 38 mpg. I keep anal records on my mileage - that's why I keep updating the Thunderbird one; I despise giving a huge chuck of my money to oil companies.

I want one of those Chevy Volts so badly I can't stand it! I would use hardly any fuel at all with one of those. There are accounts of people averaging 2500 mpg with that car is some forums! If you don't go over 50 miles between plug-ins, you'll never use a drop of fuel!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
My 1995 Mazda Protege that I bought brand new and ran about 300,000 miles (never changed an alternator or starter) got about 39 mpg new, then went up to about 41-42 mpg once it got 75,000 miles on it.

At over 200,000 miles, it went down to about 38 mpg. I keep anal records on my mileage - that's why I keep updating the Thunderbird one; I despise giving a huge chuck of my money to oil companies.

I want one of those Chevy Volts so badly I can't stand it! I would use hardly any fuel at all with one of those. There are accounts of people averaging 2500 mpg with that car is some forums! If you don't go over 50 miles between plug-ins, you'll never use a drop of fuel!
Except for the fuel that was burned to create the electricity that you use.... let's not forget about that. There's no such thing as a free lunch.

25% of the electricity generated in FL comes from coal, 27% from NG, and 31% from petroleum (that's 83% non-renewable). Switching to an EV doesn't make you automatically "greener" (like the dbag who was rocking a "OZON SVR" license plate on his Prius here in SF), it just shifts the "guilt" upstream. Sure, there is value in concentrating the points of pollution to a smaller number of sources (like a power plant) but the cost to shift (i.e.: batteries) isn't free either.
http://apps1.eere.energy.gov/states/electricity.cfm/state=FL#fuel

That being said, I vote for a small, fuel efficient vehicle. Any of them. It sounds like you already have a truck that you can use so what's the reason to buy another one? Also, for the price delta between a volt ($41K) and say a Honda Fit ($15K), you can buy A LOT of gas. Even at $5 gal, you are looking at 5,200 gallons of gas. If for the sake of argument the Volt gets 2x better gas mileage for your driving patterns (30mpg difference), you'd have to drive 156,000 miles to make up for the price delta. You can make the numbers look even uglier by finding a car that gets better gas mileage than that (thereby narrowing the MPG advantage of a Volt).

-g

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Let's also not forget that the batteries in those cars are some of the most lethal to the environment. Not to mention to put an electric or hybrid car together completely for the most part, they have to visit 4-6 different countries for parts etc etc. Then when you do get rid of the car and those batteries are sitting in a bone yard the amount of pollution is unbelievable. Been proven over and over again on Top Gear, and even Motor Trend.

Also, on Top Gear they took a BMW M5 I believe and put it against a Prius on a track, The Prius had to make hot laps while the BMW just had to keep up. The BMW got 24 MPG and the Prius got 9!!! The moral of the story is: It's not what you drive so much as how you drive it.

Same arguement as R134 vs. R12 Coolant - R134 is actually 400 times more dangerous to O-zone than the R12, but the money men and women got it pushed through by saying that it was tested to be better. Government does not care about us at all they only care about making money off of us. If they cared, Hydrogen would be the new energy source for cars, if they put half as much R&D into that as they did electric, the dividends would be awesome. However it's a lot harder to make money on water usage than oil or making money off us for charging stations etc etc.

Sorry for the rant.

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,255 Posts
All I hear are a bunch of clicking sounds.
Get the ele. car.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts

·
̇
3,702 Posts
Pick-up Truck w/ Extended Cab...

Makes it easier to move things..

That are too big to fit in the Thunderbird.. ;)

Rayo...

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
You would be surprised how non-efficient the 4-Cyl Ranger and S10s are. With gas going up the way it is, if you can get by without a pickup then that is the way to go.

·
Registered
652 Posts
if people keep buying these cars that get 30+ MPG, what do you think the oil companies are going to do?? RAISE GAS PRICES MORE, yup, they will raise them all to hell to make up for the lost income they will be losing from people buying less fuel.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've looked at trucks gas economy cards etc ...I almost got a gto dealer couldn't go down

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Still undecided on vehicle ..if people keep putting sports cars in my face it's going to tempt me

1 - 20 of 36 Posts