TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Ford Thunderbird LX (236k) 1990 Ford Thunderbird Supercoupe (74k)
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just aquired a good condition 1994 Lincoln mk8 with 92k miles on it. It runs perfectly, the air suspension is bad and the body is pretty trashed. My 96 Thunderbird is burning 3 quarts every 600 miles and leaking oil and tranny fluid everywhere. It's definitely aging. I just rebuilt the front end and redid the brakes and quite a few new interior panels and speakers and such. The body has absolutely no rust on it. With the mk8, can I just take parts and swap it over no problem? Or will I need some custom stuff for the swap? I am fairly low on money right now too so after buying an engine crane and renting a place to work on it I will be nearly out of money so I am hoping to just swap the wiring harness and ecu and trans and driveshaft and engine and cooling system and have it all work easy.

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
23,716 Posts
Short answer, yes. This method has been done and archived in the forum though is the path less traveled since most 4V swappers didn’t have a doner car at their disposal. It’s going to be a little more complicated than plug and play once you start interfacing the Mark VIII’s powertrain harnesses to mate to the Tbird’s dash harness though, I highly recommend picking up a corresponding Mark VIII EVTM and Tbird EVTM for your years for guidance.

How’s the emissions inspection situation where you’re located? Marks aren’t OBD II so if you have plug ins this project(the wiring/PCM swap over part) won’t pass with the authorities

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Short answer, yes. This method has been done and archived in the forum though is the path less traveled since most 4V swappers didn’t have a doner car at their disposal. It’s going to be a little more complicated than plug and play once you start interfacing the Mark VIII’s powertrain harnesses to mate to the Tbird’s dash harness though, I highly recommend picking up a corresponding Mark VIII EVTM and Tbird EVTM for your years for guidance.

How’s the emissions inspection situation where you’re located? Marks aren’t OBD II so if you have plug ins this project(the wiring/PCM swap over part) won’t pass with the authorities
Theres no emissions inspections, I also don't put new tabs on my car out of laziness so I'm not worried at all. I'd assume there's some good wiring diagrams for the cluster that I can go ahead and use to adapt the ECU for it. This would be my first big time project on my own vehicle, I am doing it completely on my own. I'll go ahead and try to find the EVTM's. Would there be any crazy complications for the engine and trans and driveshaft and such or no? I am also planning on doing a heater core bypass. I would be removing the dashboard for this as well so that will make it easier.

·
Super Moderator
14,211 Posts
In my opinion,the lowest cost, with what you have available, I'd rebuild your 2v heads with new seals and valveguides, and re-ring the block. The You can run the mark engine with your 96 eec with a tune. That's my path, currently. :)
Using the Mark heads is complicated, as manifolds that clear the hood is a problem. That and IMRC's led me finally to the C-heads, and a mach 1 intake. Some would say I'm copying Matt, but I prefer the word, 'Homage', lol. His build thread is pretty well an examination of options, with a good dose of What can happen. I'd read his build thread first.

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
The vastly easier way would be to use the 2v engine harness on the 4v engine and tune the car with a hand held sct device for the swap. However the other option can work. It's just a lot of wiring swapping to basically convert the bird to a mark. If so desired you could also swap the whole interior with minimal modifications.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In my opinion,the lowest cost, with what you have available, I'd rebuild your 2v heads with new seals and valveguides, and re-ring the block. The You can run the mark engine with your 96 eec with a tune. That's my path, currently. :)
Using the Mark heads is complicated, as manifolds that clear the hood is a problem. That and IMRC's led me finally to the C-heads, and a mach 1 intake. Some would say I'm copying Matt, but I prefer the word, 'Homage', lol. His build thread is pretty well an examination of options, with a good dose of What can happen. I'd read his build thread first.
I sadly wouldn't have the time to rebuild the heads and the block. And I'm stuck doing this outside. I've got a week long timeline when I decide to start the project. Could I just put the 4v motor and 94 trans in and would the 2v wiring harness work with a tune? If that's the case then that's the cheapest and easiest option for me with my timeline.

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX Missing 4.6 MIssing Trans Red
4,584 Posts
You have to modify the exhaust too. The 4V has the catalytic converter welded onto the left exhaust manifold. So the stock exhaust won't fit from the Tbird. Unless you reuse the Mark exhaust.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Using the Tbird pcm with a tune is the more common method, you just need an rpm window switch to open the IMRCs

You’d be better off using your 96 trans than the 94 one, those are the worst 4R70ws
My 96 has tc shudder too, so that's why I thought swapping it over. I could put on a new torque converter while it's out though and do a valve body job and a jmod, that might work well. Not sure my tranny is tired. More power through it might not do well. Is it time for the manual swap I've been planning? Maybe too costly for my current budget. I'll do some research on the tuning needed. That's super helpful.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You have to modify the exhaust too. The 4V has the catalytic converter welded onto the left exhaust manifold. So the stock exhaust won't fit from the Tbird. Unless you reuse the Mark exhaust.
I was thinking of reusing the mark8 exhaust. It has mufflers unlike my current 96 one.

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
23,716 Posts
My 96 has tc shudder too, so that's why I thought swapping it over. I could put on a new torque converter while it's out though and do a valve body job and a jmod, that might work well. Not sure my tranny is tired. More power through it might not do well. Is it time for the manual swap I've been planning? Maybe too costly for my current budget. I'll do some research on the tuning needed. That's super helpful.
Use the Mark VIII torque converter, sure, but the trans itself is 94 trans itself is junk

I'd say one step at a time regarding a manual swap, the supercoupe clutch pedal clutch and custom driveshaft alone cost more than a known good transmission,

1 - 20 of 45 Posts