TCCoA Forums banner

Which do you think would be best?

• Total voters
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I need some advice. I could use some input on which setup would work best for my goals. I want to be able to run as close to a 13.0 as possible while spending only around $5500. I've already got a 3800 stall torque converter, and J-modded transmission thanks to Alan. I'll put in 3.73s or 4.10s depending on what engine I go with.

Here's what I've come up with for options:

1) Early 97 Mark VIII DOHC, tune, Window switch opening the runners, Kooks, and custom exhaust.

2) PI motor, tune, Kooks, custom exhaust, degreed crower stage 2 cams.

As of now, I'm totally lost as of what will be the most bang for my buck. I'm kindof leaning to the 2v because it gives me options of using bolt-ons if I don't make the power I desire.

·
Registered
272 Posts
guitar maestro said:
Hans was running high 12s with a 2V so its definitely possible

PI engine, 4.30s, Crower IIs, kooks, tune, sticky tires should net you 13 flat if not lower
So your saying if you get a pi motor, gears, cams, headers, a tune, and good tires he would be in the 13s.

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,118 Posts
Tim said:
So your saying if you get a pi motor, gears, cams, headers, a tune, and good tires he would be in the 13s.
If you want 13's, a PI motor, gears, a high stall TC, a good tune, a good exhaust system and good tires will get you there. If you have a 96+, PI cams and a PI intake swap instead of the PI motor will also get you there. If you want lower 13's the cams and headers will help. You might need the assistance of P&P heads and perhaps a better breathing intake.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Tim said:

no thats not what im saying, because if I got it, it would be in my car, not his :p

but seriously, 13s are also possible with out a PI motor....PI head/cam/intake swap would yield a bit more power due to the higher compression on a 96+ shortblock, so cams are not absolutely necessary, but they sure do sweeten the deal

·
Registered
369 Posts
Silenced said:
Ok guys, I need some advice. I could use some input on which setup would work best for my goals. I want to be able to run as close to a 13.0 as possible while spending only around $5500. I've already got a 3800 stall torque converter, and J-modded transmission thanks to Alan. I'll put in 3.73s or 4.10s depending on what engine I go with.
You've already got a 3800 stall torque converter, and J-modded transmission,so for $5.5K you can have low 12 or high 11 sec car if you go DOHC swap with blower.Remember if you decide to go DOHC with blower route you don't have to touch cams and heads and you can run stock mark VIII exhaust manifolds and intake manifold with that set-up.You can get complete Mark viii motor for around $500 and blower for $2000 or lower but that's your car and your decision.
Good luck,

Derek

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
man, i ought to just buy a complete mark VIII motor rather than ****ing with the one that's in the car, huh?

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
The_Ghost said:
man, i ought to just buy a complete mark VIII motor rather than ****ing with the one that's in the car, huh?
well in your case since you have a 95 4.6, then yes, assuming you can tackle an engine swap.....you'd have roughly 240 hp at the wheels, compared to the ~165 you have now...roughly a 75 HP increase

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the tips guys! I think I'm going to look into the boosted 4v, but I doubt I'd find a blower in my pricerange -- also, I'd rather not use the stock exhaust, so that throws up the price even more.

Other than that, I'm going to try Guitar Maestro's idea.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts