TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have factory 3.23 posi in my 97 LX. I know you can add almosty any gears but too much and you will need a computer chip to make the corrections properly. Id like to swap to 3.73 gear set or 4.11s. I am sure 4.11s I would have to get a computer and to buy the gears for 100+ dollars and a 300$ chip at the same time I don;t think I want to do. I read somewhere i thought that 3.73 gear upgrade only requires a differnet speedo gear? Or am I wrong? i plan on racing my car and just getting more performance out of it. Gears are cheap but the other expenses might add up fast. Any words of advice? 4.11s? 3.73? 3.90s? neither?:confused:

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
do they even make 3.90s or 4.11s for our 8.8 rear ends?...i thought all we could do is 3.27, 3.55, 3.73 or 4.10 for our 8.8 rear ends unless you u swap the rear axle...

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
3.23 is not a Ford factory ratio niether is 4.11. The EEC can compensate for a two step in gears. This has been discussed indepth...check out the search button.

3.08 - 3.55 EEC should read right
3.27 - 3.73 EEC should read right
3.08 - 3.73 EEC needs new programming
3.27 - 4.10 EEC needs new programming.

FYI, 3.23 and 4.11 are both GM ratios.

joseph

·
8,239 Posts
the tbird gear ratios out of the factory that I can think of are.

2.73 - fivespeed supercoupes
3.08 - most lx's
3.27 - lx option
3.31- supercoupe option automatic

JH

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
more gears

I thought I saw 3.23 ok so my rear end ration must be 3.27 posi. I know it is posi and what ic an tell by the codes. If I got to 3.73 the ECC shoul dbe OK right? I assume 4.10s would be too much without the computer to be reprogramed. thanks
Regg

·
Astrophysicist / PostWhore
2,028 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
The Great Obucina said:
FYI, 3.23 and 4.11 are both GM ratios.
Say WHAT? The ratio isn't what makes it a Ford or GM. What makes it Ford or GM, is what type of differential it's designed to bolt on to. Having many different ratios to choose from, allows racers to fine tune their cars.

Oh, & just for the record. A "Posi" (short for Positive Traction), is a GM limited slip differential. I guarantee that nobody here has a GM differential in their Ford rear end! It's a common inaccuracy, but that doesn't make it correct.

68COUGAR

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
68COUGAR said:

Say WHAT? The ratio isn't what makes it a Ford or GM. What makes it Ford or GM, is what type of differential it's designed to bolt on to. Having many different ratios to choose from, allows racers to fine tune their cars.

Oh, & just for the record. A "Posi" (short for Positive Traction), is a GM limited slip differential. I guarantee that nobody here has a GM differential in their Ford rear end! It's a common inaccuracy, but that doesn't make it correct.

68COUGAR
niether 3.23 or 4.11 are listed as an 8.8 ratio gear offered by Ford. My friends Z28 has a 3.23 ratio from the factory and GM offers a 4.11 gear for its 8.5 diff.

joseph

·
Registered
437 Posts
The Great Obucina said:
niether 3.23 or 4.11 are listed as an 8.8 ratio gear offered by Ford.
What's your point? Are you saying that only OEM per/year spec. are the only gear ratios that "according to YOU", are Ford?

If an aftermarket vendor makes a 3:23 gear for a Ford 8.8" rear end, is that NOT for a Ford?

There are NO Ford or GM "EXCLUSIVE" gear ratios!!!!!!!

Buy a P.A.W. or JEGS catalog, & check it out for youself!!!!

68COUGAR

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
68COUGAR said:

What's your point? Are you saying that only OEM per/year spec. are the only gear ratios that "according to YOU", are Ford?

If an aftermarket vendor makes a 3:23 gear for a Ford 8.8" rear end, is that NOT for a Ford?

There are NO Ford or GM "EXCLUSIVE" gear ratios!!!!!!!

Buy a P.A.W. or JEGS catalog, & check it out for youself!!!!

68COUGAR
or the listed available 8.8 ratios manufactured at Ford's Sterling Gear Lab offered by FRPP. I am quite aware of aftermarket manufacturer such as Motive gear who makes a 4.11 for the 8.8....BTW, F'n A....did you bother to read everything, he said he had a factory 3.23 POSI...How many posts would you like to discuss this in? His question was answered.

joseph

·
Registered
798 Posts
I thought all EEC's for the Thunderbird LX automatics were programmed for 3.08 gears and they did compensate for two gear steps up. Wouldn't the 2nd gear step up really be 3.55's then? If you had factory 3.27's then wouldn't you already have used up one of your steps up? i also remember reading that if you had done the J-mod it would also help the transmission to shift "more correctly" if you do a gear change.
Correct me if i'm wrong, but i seem to remember reading this?

3.55?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts